Can you recommend a Resort for us?

Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Can you recommend a Resort for us?

My wife and I have finally decided to plan our first trip to the Carribean together (we've both been seperately, my wife to the Cayman's and USVI, I did a week long sail around the BVI). Being this is my wife's trip, we are looking for a resort-type place with lots of amenities, on a really beautiful beach, with easy accessibility to great snorkling and other water-sports, a spa, and excellent restaurants, but not super dirty and developed like I've heard Jamaica, Aruba and the Bahamas can be.

Both of us would really like to stay on St. John to enjoy the beautiful island, beaches and snorkling and then take trips to Virgin Gorda, Peter Island, etc, but the places on St. John don't seem to offer what we are looking for. The Westin just seems to have a lame beach, and we really want to just be able to head out and relax on a really beautiful beach right from our room. Caneel seems a little too "rustic" for my wife, no TV, phone, etc.

Anyway, we're confused now, it seems kind of pathetic to have such difficulty planning a trip to the Carribean, but we are going to be spending alot of money, we only take a trip like this every few years. We considered the Ritz on St. Thomas, but neither of us really want to be on St. Thomas. So now were just considering other places as well, but we really don't know alot about other areas of the Carribean, we've focused most of our research on the BVI and USVI. Also, we'd like to keep our room cost from $300 - $400 a night, so places like Biras Creek and Peter Island resort are probably out of our league. I apologize for the rambling post, does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks a lot.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:43 PM

I think you should check into Caneel Bay more closely. I think they have done some significant updating, and that may include tv's and phones so don't write them off so quickly. Also, the Westin may not have the nicest beach, but if you are up to traveling around St. John, and it is so easy to do so being that it is only about 8 miles long and 3 miles wide, then you don't need to rely on the Westin's beach for more than a few lazy hours. The island's size is accessible, that's one of the reasons why St. John is so popular with many travelers.
Aug 4th, 2005, 04:25 AM

"we really want to just be able to head out and relax on a really beautiful beach right from our room"

This is what everyone says who really loves Cap Jaluca in Anguilla. As I understand, the snorkeling is not great there, but the restaurants are fabulous. It's not cheap, but it comes in lower than Biras Creek, and there may be specials available depending on the time of year.

Also, for a mostly inclusive, maybe you should check out Young Island.

Or like the above post suggests, take daily excursions around St. John to enjoy the various beaches...

Good Luck! Please post back with your end result!
Aug 4th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Have you considered going to Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos Islands? My recommendation for accommodations on Providenciales is Le Vele (www.levele.tc).
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:43 PM

I'd also recommend Turks & Caicos. We've been all over the Caribbean and T&C is our favorite. The island has reasonably good infrastructure, spectacular beaches and some very good restaurants. Our top pick there is Coral Gardens resort. They are right on a broad, glistening white, talcum powder-soft beach with a wonderful snorkeling reef starting just 10 feet offshore.(My wife is a sea turtle fanatic, and she can always find lots of large hawksbill turtles just a few minutes off the beach.) The resort is all suites, very luxurious and well appointed (cable TV, stereo, wireless internet access, etc.), and has an excellent spa on premises. If you can afford it, spring for one of the "deluxe oceanfront one-bedroom" accomodations. The restaurant at the resort is one of the best on the island, and the beachfront grill is convenient for breakfast (which also can be served on your terrace), lunch or drinks. Try it, I guarantee you'll love the place.