can't decide where to go for a hot week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all and happy new year! I am getting so frustrated trying to decide where to go for holiday. We are thinking Feb 26-Mar 5, 2005, but our dates are flexible. I haven't been to a sun spot in 10 years (Puerto Vallarta) and am looking for a week of pure relaxation with my boyfriend (i'm 29, he's 33). Our last holiday was to Europe this summer, and we were so busy each day that we didn't get to relax a whole lot. All of the places I'm looking at are starting to confuse me since they all seem so similar! I would love to hear any suggestions from you experienced people, regarding destinations and accomodation!
Here's what I'm looking for:
- All inclusive (at least a 3.5*)
- Quiet (ie. no loud drunken spring-breakers, we prefer to do without a busy disco on the resort)
- Weather (it's cold & snowy here in Toronto, so I'd prefer the hottest climate possible!)
- Private (in the sense that resort staff won't try to force you to participate in the daily activities if you don't want to)
- Nice Beach (beachfront resort,clear water, nice clean sand)
- Good food (I'm allergic to gluten, so the more choices the better)
- Safe (where I feel that I can sleep at night and walk around alone @ night)
- Basically, picture us wanting to relax on the beach/by the pool, drinking rum & cokes, reading a book, working on nothing but a great tan!!

Here are some of the places I've seen that have peaked my interest, but don't know alot about:
- Aruba (although a bit too expensive, perhaps best saved for a honeymoon!)
- Anguilla (looks amazing, but same as above)
- DR - Punta Cana (a lot of affordable AI choices, but see mixed reviews on the beachfront)
- Mexico - Mayan Riviera (love the looks of this, can't find many last minute deals on the popular websites)
- San Andres (although most of the resorts didn't get great reviews)
- Any help with other destination suggestions are greatly appreciated, I'm going crazy!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Filter14

I'm in Aruba right now and the water isn't clear and the beach has either seaweed or trash(from ignorant guests no doubt)and stray cats and a lone dog roaming around including through the outside restaurants. We've been eaten alive by mosquitoes even with using 'Off'. Maybe this is just a freak occurence due to aftermath of storms. I'm staying at the Marriott so perhaps this is only a problem at this location. It's back to Grand Cayman for us(with no offense directed towards those who have had better experiences than us in Aruba and leaving more for you anyway

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We thought Aruba was great unlike the above poster. Your budget will tell all the people here where you can afford to go. There are many great places. The farther south you go, the warmer it will be!
Aruba's high season is Feb-March and that is why it is pricier. Many of the island's high seasons are right at that time. The other poster mentioned the Grand Cayman, but they are expensive and coming out from under a bad hurricane. The cheaper the all inclusive, the more likely you will run into college kids. I would try to afford a nice hotel and stay in the room without the view. So, give the posters here an idea of what you can spend, and then you may get more responses.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:36 AM

We're heading for Long Bay Hotel in Antigua at the beginning of February. Considered many destinations, and this sounded good, with goood reviews. You may want to check it out.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi & thx for your feedback. We're looking to spend about $1000 cdn pp, I've really liked what I've seen of the Mayan Riveria, but does anyone know what a good resort is in that area (Playa del Carmen?). Mainly looking for a beautiful beach without the partying in late feb-early march...
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:01 AM

snowflaek, does your $1000 Canadian $ include airfare too? That seems extremely low. I can barely do a budget vacation to the Caribbean for $1000 US!

The trouble with wanting an AI and good food is that in my experience they are contradictory.

At your price point, your expectations are very challenging.

Good luck.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Actually $1000 can get u a long way from canada! We have many many sell off's between $600-1000 that is for 3+ star resort or better. I say $1000, because it was an xmas gift so i don't want to go too crazy on budget, but you do have alot of options for that amount when booking last minute from toronto....
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Try also posting your interest in Mexico and the Riveria on the Latin American board. They might be able to tell you more over there.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Dreps, I hope that your vacation at Long Bay lives up to your expectations and my hype! I spent a few days there back in November, unfortunately during a time when a low pressure system was covering most of the region. I've never seen so much rain! But even so, we had a wonderful time visiting with our old friends there on staff. Do I recall correctly that you booked the View House?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM

ej--Yes, we booked the View House for 10 days in February. Since we are scheduled to arrive there in the afternoon, I thought we'd get the taxi to stop at a grocers so we could pick up some minimal supplies. I realize that the staff wouldy do this for us, and Chris asked whether we wanted to "futz" with this, but since we're they for a while, I thought we'd like pick our own things. Any opinion? Thanks. Any must-dos? I know we want to go out on a sail at least once. We'll, of course, do snorkling, etc. Other than that, we plan to veg.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM

From here in Montreal we can get all kinds of deals for less than 1000.00 pp , Cuba , Dominican , Cancun , etc. ( A.I. )
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Dreps: Long Bay has hired a new water sports guy named Arno. They now offer their own snorkeling daytrips to Green Island and other places which is much more convenient than hauling yourself over to the other side of the island first.

Depending on how active you want to be:

Take an early morning walk to Devil's Briddge--a little less than 4 miles round trip.

Pack a small picnic and paddle a kayak out to Lover's Beach, a usually quite secluded patch of sand on the lagoon.

Go to Harmony Hall for lunch--reservations pretty important for this. Enjoy the art gallery and the Italian ambience. Boat ride to Green Island is included in luncheon prices if you don't want to take the Long Bay day trip.

On days when cruise ships aren't in port, stroll around St. John's. I like the Map & Book store, the lovely cathedral, and the very simple but lovingly put together museum. I also enjoyed lunch at Hemingway's, eating flying fish out on the second floor verandah, doing some people watching and sipping a lime cooler.

I was less impressed with Nelson's Dockyard than most people are, but if you're going to be on island for a while, it's worth a visit. (Again, best when no cruise ships in port.)

If you rent a car, maybe check out a few other beaches--Half Moon Bay is simply beautiful. Hawksbill has the only clothing optional beach on the island that is about 1/2 mile long and quite secluded.

Have lunch at the local beach bar next door to Long Bay--they offer good jerk options and sandwiches. lots of locals eat there.

If you want dinner out, Coconut Grove at Siboney Beach Hotel is the quintessential Caribbean restaurant setting. Food is not quite as good as the atmosphere. I also liked Le Bistro for French cuisine and The Beach for a good casual place that often has live music.

It'll be less expensive if you get your driver to stop at the grocery store on the way to Long Bay. i can't remember the one we use, but it's on the small side and about 1/3 of the way to the hotel--it's definitely more of a local stop than a tourist one. There's a large supermarket not far from St. John's if you want more options. we normally just picked up some snacks, juice, & soda. Hope you have a memorable trip!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:32 AM

Rodraad orders you to book paradise: Cayo Largo Cuba

And choose Sol Club Cayo Largo

a good website to tempt you
www.cayolargo.net

Been all over the world: Best beaches in the world!!!!

Cayo Largo is a quiet with a resort disco (not for nightlife seekers)

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

thx rodraad i have narrowed down cayo largo and cayo coco. what's the temps in late feb like?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM

If you are still interested in Playa del Carmen, I would recommend the Iberostar. I was there in November and it was fantastic.