Can't Choose between St.John's or Barbados?

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Choose between St.John's or Barbados?

Looking to go to the warmest, prettiest, white sand beach, villas or small resort directly ON the beach (like toes in the sand when i open the door) for my husband and I. This will be our first romantic getaway since our honeymoon. We want things to do as well so not utter seclusion. Doesn't have to be cheap either - what is moderate price range per night for either of these islands anyway? Too many questions right? Sorry.

Most importantly we are traveling first week in May so which island has the warmest weather and least chance of rain at that time?

Any opions and thoughts would be wonderfully appreciated. I have done some research but still can't make up my mind between them... and if anyone has any OTHER suggestions to make me more confused, please chime in! : )

P.S. - We are going to Virgin Gorda in November so don't count that island.

Thanks!

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:46 AM

I don't know about Barbados, but you will probably find it difficult to find a villa on the beach in St.John and if you do, I wouldn't imagine it would be anything that you would spend the day at. My husband and I LOVE St.John, but it is very mountainous. If you were to find a nice villa on a nice beach, I would say jump at it because you'd love it. You will definately enjoy the secluded feeling as it is not very developed and extremely lush. However, you can find alittle nightlife and lots of outdoorsy stuff like hiking, sailing, etc. When we go, our villa rental usually runs around $1500 for the week, but we stay on the top of Mamey Peak (about a mile drive to the best beaches, but about a 10 minute drive to Cruz Bay)
Good Luck and enjoy where ever you end up!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM

How about Anguilla? I think Frangipani would fit the bill nicely. We went last year at the end of May and had great weather. The beaches are amazing, the food awesome and the peopel are so friendly.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:38 PM

It depends on if snorkeling is important to you.I have heard that it is not that good in Barbados.
We are going to St.John in June and have read up on it.The snorkeling their is supposed to be wonderful.Check out webshots.com and put in St.John beach pictures and then do the same for Barbados, it might give you an idea on where you would like to go.Good luck!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm, Anguilla. Nice - I will have to do some research on that. We don't HAVE to stay in a villa but would love to be able to walk right out the door onto the beach wherever that may be....

What about Turks and Caicos?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Anguilla and T&C both have what you are looking for but can be a bit quiet. Stay at Cap Juluca or Point Grace.

We were not crazy about St John - too much like somewhere in the US - just with nice beaches. (Not exotic enough for us.)

I really liked Barbados in the short time we were there - stay at Sandy Lane if $$$ no object.

Jamaica's Negril has your requirements - look into Tensing Pen, the Rockhouse or the Caves.

Another possibility is Caribbean Mexico - Maroma, Ikal del Mar, Cozumel's Intercontinental, etc.

PSV is great but quite remote.

Good luck. There are zillions of places to choose from.

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Anywhere in the Caribbean has similar weather in May. Barbados is a wonderful island, where Coral Reef Club is a lovely family-owned-for-50-years small plantation-style hotel. Very romantic on a nice beach. See www.barbados.org and www.coralreefbarbados.com
St.John is our other most favorite island. IMO Caneel Bay is one of the most private, idyllic, romantic beachfront places anywhere. No more than 24 rooms on any of the 7 lovely tree-shaded white sand beaches with wade-in snorkeling. In the National Park with NO development to be seen anywhere.
If your priority is the romantic beaching, it's Caneel/St.John. (and you can roll out of their beachfront rooms onto the sand 20'from the water).
Barbados is more varied, with lots of sightseeing, more restaurants, nitelife, if you want that kind of vacation. Can't go wrong either way.
If you click on my name, you can read many more postings on both Caneel/St.John and Barbados.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Frangipani is as close to being in a villa as you can get without being in a villa. The "resort" has only 8 rooms and the oceanfront rooms step right onto the beach. They all have nice patios or balconies with amazing views. And you can get a suite with a kicthen and living area if you like. Plus they offer a free continental breakfast at their resturant which also sits on the beach. We would eat on the reaturant's terrace every morning and look out over the caribbean.

I have never been to T&C
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Frangipani is as close to being in a villa as you can get without being in a villa. The "resort" has only 8 rooms and the oceanfront rooms step right onto the beach. They all have nice patios or balconies with amazing views. And you can get a suite with a kicthen and living area if you like. Plus they offer a free continental breakfast at their resturant which also sits on the beach. We would eat on the reaturant's terrace every morning and look out over the caribbean.

I have never been to T&C but it is next on my list!!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Loridori,
For what you are looking for I think Barbados is too busy, and to get a villa on the beach there you'll need to shell out at least 15k/week. St. John is probably the better choice between those two. As Kristen and Diana have pointed out and I very much agree, look seriously at Anguilla or T&C.

Happy travels.