Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Can someone please explain the departure taxes to me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:37 PM
corinne

<BR>Alright, so why don't all tickets departing airports with departure taxes have the tax included on the price of the ticket? Doesn't this happen in US and Canada departure cities. <BR><BR>This is what I have experienced. We flew to Montego Bay on a air/land package through Air Canada. We did not have pay the departure taxes. I thought, well alright it is a "package" so it must be included.<BR><BR>The next time to Jamaica I went with two friends, we booked our hotel separately, so I warned them about the departure tax that must be paid at the airport. No one asked us for any such thing. I used Air Canada frequent flyer points and my friends booked air only and again no one had to pay a departure tax. <BR><BR>I am on my way to Turks (Provo), I heard that the departure tax is over $100, will I have to pay it when I leave Provo? I booked my hotel and air separately.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Ren

Hi Corinne,<BR><BR>If I'm not mistaken, most departure taxes should not run you anymore than $20.00USD. I doubt very highly that your local taxes are going to be in the hundred dollar range. I recently came back from Provo and did not have to pay a thing upon return, it was all pre-collected. (Canadian tour operator) Check with whomever you booked it with cause that doesn't sound accurate....

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:46 PM
another

I sell the Caribbean everyday...so from my experience, it all depends on the tour operator that you booked thru. Most that I book (in the US)include departure taxes. Until recently, (last few years) the Jamaican government for instance, insisted that departure taxes be paid upon your departure at the airport. Now it can be included in packages. In the times that I travelled there prior to the change, it was a hit and miss. One time it was collected, the other it wasn't. It was like the luck of the draw. Your tour operator (if a package) can tell you whether your taxes have been pre-paid. Ask for it in writing. The most that I have ever heard of for taxes at any island was $27 USD.<BR><BR>I would also suggest having cash just in case. Have a great time!!!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Statia

For anyone traveling to St. Maarten and most surrounding islands...this area also demands departure tax be paid only upon departing the island.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Melissa

Cuba (for Canadians) has a $20 USD departure tax, and DR has one, I think is betweeen $15 to $20 USD, I tell my clients to have $20.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Martin

Hi Melissa<BR><BR>Can I ask you (while its quiet) when you were in Cuba and saw the Couples Hicacos partially built:<BR><BR>When was it?<BR>How bad did it look?<BR><BR>I am paying the balance for my visit on 23rd October today and am worried.<BR><BR>My agent and Sandals themselves tell me it will be ready but you know things do not happen quickly on the islands.....<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any information.<BR><BR>Martin

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Martin

Sorry - for "Couples" above please read "Sandals".

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Melissa

I was in Varadero July 14 to 21. We visited 20 hotels in total including Sandals. It very well may be done, but because as you well know, things are built very slowly in the Caribbean in general, I am really not sure. They had completed 2 demo rooms, which were so nice. The lobby was deffinatly not ready, and we couldn't even go inside of it. To get to the property we had to walk on a ledge, with no railings and it was maybe a metre wide. (scary) The grounds will be covered with a kind of lake and stream system which they were still working on. To get to anything you will be walking on a wooden walkways everywhere (really neat). We saw one restaurant and it's floor was being laid when we were there. The pool area was not done either. It looked like it was almost complete, but not quite. It is so hard to tell, but if it is not done, they will put you into another hotel of the same quality and value, which would probibly be the Paradisus or possibly the Melia Varadero, but lets hope the Paradisus.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Martin

<BR>Many thanks for the information, Melissa.<BR><BR>Lets hope they get their skates on and get it finished!<BR><BR>Regards<BR>Martin