Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Can I take alcohol? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/can-i-take-alcohol-1100536/)

molly5673 May 1st, 2016 09:28 AM

Can I take alcohol?

We are flying and I want to know if we can take alcohol in our checked luggage?

RoamsAround May 1st, 2016 09:46 AM

Yes, but how much you'll be allowed to bring to your destination depends on the laws of that particular island country.

You don't say where you are flying from or to but on most Caribbean islands wines and liquors are usually less expensive then they are many major countries.

FrankS May 1st, 2016 09:50 AM

Different countries have different rules, so check with the laws of your destination. Word of warning, high altitude air pressure in cargo holds can mess up plastic bottles, and baggage handlers can mess up glass. Your best bet is the Duty Free shop if your destination doesn't sell what you want, but they still might require you to pay duty

molly5673 May 1st, 2016 10:31 AM

Leaving from Charlotte to grand Cayman. I see that alcohol is more expensive there

blamona May 1st, 2016 10:38 AM

You can take 1 bottle each, others would have to be declared

blamona May 1st, 2016 10:38 AM

PS Caymans has some unique liquors might be worth splurging, and you can also buy duty free in Charlotte

molly5673 May 1st, 2016 10:59 AM

Blamona is that a bottle of wine or liquor?

FrankS May 1st, 2016 11:14 AM

I don't remember Caymans that high for liquor that I would want to pack some, TCI maybe but not Caymans.

molly5673 May 1st, 2016 11:28 AM

I wish I could find a website or a phone number so I could find out for sure

suze May 2nd, 2016 11:57 AM

Find out WHAT for sure?

IF you can take liquor or wine in checked luggage (you can).

OR how much you are allowed to bring in without paying duty on it?

suze May 2nd, 2016 11:59 AM

Just do a Google search with the words:

"how much alcohol can i bring to the grand caymans"

and all kinds of threads will pop up.

RoamsAround May 3rd, 2016 07:22 AM

Look, even if you bring in a reasonable amount over the Duty Free limit (and you declare the wine/liquor to the customs agent) the worse that will happen is you will have to the pay the additional duty. If you are lucky the agent will just wave you through with no duty to be paid.

All that said, Unless you are bringing a lot of "specialty" liquor or vintage wine that is not available on the island the amount you might save buying the liquor elsewhere might not be worth the aggravation of packing and lugging heaving bottles through airports. I for one would forego bringing liquor and buy what I needed on island.

Diver1973 Jun 5th, 2016 04:59 PM

You can take 1 bottle per passenger.

girlonthego Jun 6th, 2016 07:07 PM

We bought vodka and gin duty free on our way into the Cayman Islands and the price was reasonable. We bought mixers and sodas on island.