Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Can I assume that an excursion is safe if it is listed in Frommers? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/can-i-assume-that-an-excursion-is-safe-if-it-is-listed-in-frommers-98858/)

Dee Jan 6th, 2001 02:02 PM

Can I assume that an excursion is safe if it is listed in Frommers?

Although we did go to Jamaica last year on a cruise we are not experienced travelers. There is an excursion that we read about in Frommers that we are interested in but have been told to stick to the excursions offered by the cruise line for reasons of safety. <BR> <BR>We are traveling with a group of neighbors and their children and I sure don't want to be the one to lead them into danger. <BR> <BR>How do you guys decide if something is safe to do?

Bill Jan 7th, 2001 02:39 AM

NO! never "ASSUME" anything. remember the old saying,Assume means don't make an ass out of u and me. I travel a lot and investigate things like this first. Don't put yourself in the position in the first place. <BR>

Karen Jan 7th, 2001 06:24 AM

I am hestitant and cautious to make decisions based on information published in travel guides as many times the information is way out of date - the author wrote it, submitted it to the publisher and a year or so later the book comes out! I have seen that on some web sites as well where they have recommended restaurants that are long gone!! If I have a "doubt," I probably go with my first instincts and avoid it - unless I get lots of current feedback that is contrary! Better to be safe than sorry!

dee Jan 7th, 2001 04:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. How do you go about investigating? Since we will be in port for only one day we won't have a lot of time to ask around. Any pointers on how to go about this?

Sam Jan 8th, 2001 04:10 AM

<BR>Don't assume anything about anything, including the ship's shore excursions. <BR> <BR>The cruise line's tour will for sure be crowded, less efficient & probably give you less time at the attraction. But if they screw up & you don't embark before the ship sets sail for the next port, it's their problem getting you back on board. If you've gone out on your own, it's your responsibility to reboard & if you have to fly to meet the ship at the next port of call, that can be pretty hard on the wallet. <BR> <BR>Cruise line arranged excursions are usually less fun, IMHO. I'd ask for current recommendations from people who've actually used certain operators recently, not rely on a printed guide, no matter how recent. I wonder if the ship's excursions in Jamaica might insulate you a bit from the hawkers, beggars & vendors? <BR> <BR>Best regards, <BR>Sam

Anon Jan 23rd, 2001 10:13 AM

I wouldn't put much stock in anything Frommers says. They recommended a hotel and when we went there it turned out to be the biggest, dirtiest dump we have EVER stayed in.

Mike Jan 24th, 2001 04:46 AM

<BR>Dee, why not name the excursion or tour & the operator you're considering? I bet someone will have personal & hopefully recent knowledge of it. :-)

dee Jan 26th, 2001 11:58 PM

The excursion is the river tubing safari. The person who wrote it up for Frommers said that it was one of the best excursions he/she had ever done. I had originally posted asking about the excursion specifically but got only 1 response asking which river it was on. <BR> <BR>We are traveling in a large group and this is the only thing that we ALL wanted to do. We've been to Jamaica only once for a day in port and took the ship's Dunns River/shopping excursion and the others have never been there at all. Even in the tour group, we got separated from our son while walking through the vendors at the falls. I only took my eyes off him for a second and went back to find him cornered by some vendor trying to sell him a bunch of junk. Thank God it wasn't ganja! He's not little and was in no real danger that I could tell but it scared him and terrified me. The aggressive nature of the Jamaicans that we encountered has me more than a little nervous and as much as this appeals to me, I am very reluctant to just plunge in! <BR> <BR>Oh, and to respond to the person who thought that the tour groups get hassled less, I think they get hassled more since the locals know that they have only a short time to sell whatever it is that they are selling. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance to anyone with info or advice! <BR> <BR>Dee