Cambridge beaches, Lantana or the Reefs??

Aug 10th, 1998, 10:07 AM
Ed

Cambridge beaches, Lantana or the Reefs??

Please, has anyone stay at any of these recently? What are they like. Tell me about location and relation to a beach. What about the food? Can you dine around with no problem? What time of year to go?

Aug 11th, 1998, 12:28 PM
Carl

Lantana is closed. We have been staying at The Reefs for years. It has a dine around with other Bermuda Collection Hotels, including Cambridge Beaches. Reefs has a very nice beach, ocean views from all rooms, good food, and a capable long term staff. I suspect all are also true for Cambridge. We like The Reefs because it is next door to Sonesta Beach Hotel and so we can take advantage of large hotel facilites without staying at one. It is also more centrally located for island sightseeing.
I don't think you can go wrong with either place. We go at the end of August/beginning of September and have always had excellent weather. The weather is a little more temperate in May or June, however, and there is no threat of hurricanes then. Good luck!

Aug 11th, 1998, 05:13 PM
Judy Ryan

My husband and I just returned from Bermuda last
week. We stayed at the Pink Sand Beach Club which
was wonderful. A couple of thoughts--Cambridge
Beach is difficult to get a taxi from because Lantana is closed and there is very little else in
that neck of the woods--also it is a long way from
the center of Bermuda and St. George. We did hear
good things about the accomodations and food though.
Lantana is becoming a condo complex. The Reefs has
a marvelous resturant which is a plus. It is "up
from the beach" as the name indicates. Sonesta is
a larger complex and this time of year, the lagoon
water turns yellow! That is the local te he. Many
of the properties are changing hands and/or being
upgraded. When you go into Hamilton, St. George, or
the Dockyard, there is always a cruise ship (Hamilton there are two) everyday except Saturday
and Sunday. Sunday almost everything is closed. So
either be prepared to battle the crowds or shop
early. This was our first trip to Bermuda and found
the people extremely friendly! It is not a typical
Caribbean island however--very little proverty and
every native we talked to had been on lovely trips.
The average income is $30,000! The island is the
cleanest we have seen--beautiful flowers and colorful homes. Enjoy your trip. E-mail me if you
have further questions

Aug 12th, 1998, 11:01 AM
Kristy Guarnieri-Hynes

My husband and I just returned from our first year honymoon in Bermuda. We stayed at the Stonington Hotel and loved every minuet of it. We ate at the Reefs and was not as impressed as we were with the Stonington's food.The atmosphere was also much more romantic than the Reefs. We had no problem dining around we just needed to put in a request the day before and we had no problems. The Stonington is on Elbow Beach and was beautiful. It was also right next door to the Elbow Beach resort where you could walk or visit if you wanted. All the rooms are ocean view and there are only 64 rooms which makes for and intimate trip. Our beach was not crowded always clean and the reefs attract the fish which makes for good snorkeling. I highly recommend the Stonington because for a hard to please person I was completely satified with everything and everyone there.

I hope this helps and have a great trip!!!!!

Aug 12th, 1998, 01:10 PM
Ed

About Stonington beach - tell me about the rooms. My wife loves a beautiful room-what are theirs like? Was there anything you did not like ?

Aug 13th, 1998, 09:13 AM
Kristy Guanieri-Hynes

Stonington beach hotel has some pictures @ http://www.bermuda-best.com/. Just scroll down and you will see the Stonington page. As for the picture of the rooms(and others) that they show; they are exactly what you see. I believe that the view is from the first floor. We were on the second. they are part of the Bermuda College and the students work there from the hotel restaurant hospitality major. All of them are to be commended on the wonderful experience they give each guest!!!

They had cable, private decks with two chairs and a table, marble tile in the bath with pleanty of space to put your things, a hair dryer,great soaps, lotions and shampoo, bathrobes, safe deposit box, iron and board, turn down service with chocolates(nice touch)with fresh towels and extra blankets. The rooms are very clean and just the right size. They are not the most modern or new(for example I noticed that the night table had begun to fade because of people not using coasters for their drinks)and not the most plush but the atmophere and view compensate and I did not have a care in the world. The only complaint I have is the showers were too small and my husband and I had to take crowded showers together (TEE HEE HEE) but it is fine for one person. You may need to know that the dining room is formal which is jacket and tie so if you don't want to dress then this is not a good place to get the meal plan. Dinner was a wonderful adventure...every night and every course (there are 5 in total) and the live piano music set the mood. We ate rack of lamb, veal, salmon etc..and the deserts were just as good. Breakfast was also very nice with danish and muffins, fruit, omlettes, french toast, pancakes etc...we never needed to eat lunch. We are planning or next trip back for our second anniversary and can't wait....I believe I found heaven on earth.

Thank you for letting me share my experience. It like being there all over again...I needed that because I am stuck behind my desk having a miserable day!!!Thanks for the pick me up!!!! KGH