calm water beaches on Provo?

Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

calm water beaches on Provo?

We are planning a trip to Provo in April. We'll have two young children with us and so want to be sure that we are at a beach with calm water and no sudden dropoff, but we are a bit confused.

1. We have heard that Sapodilla Bay is very calm, shallow and good for children, but we have not heard how far out an adult must go in order for it to be deep enough for swimming.

2. We had heard that Long Bay Beach was also calm and good for children, but I just received a message from someone who was there during the summer and said that there were always 2-3 foot waves there.

If anyone can give me some information, I'll be very grateful.
Many thanks.
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:39 AM
cdt

Can't address Long Bay, but we visited Sapodilla one day when the water at Grace Bay was unusually rough.

Sapodilla was certainly calm, but it is extremely shallow with a grassy bottom. Not acceptable for adult swimming at all, in my opinion (from shore, anyway). I don't think there are any hotels there - just a handful of villas.

Grace Bay has a reputation for being fairly calm, but just like anywhere else, conditions vary. We arrived as a tropical storm was passing just to the east (in December!). It was quite rough for a while and gradually calmed down over the course of the week. Perfect on the day we left, of course.

We have visited many Caribbean islands and we're always looking for clear, calm water. Usually the safest bet is a protected cove with a shallow reef. "Exposed" beaches like Grace Bay, the main beach in Negril, etc. can vary from quite placid to quite rough.

Oct 4th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Long Bay beach is usually the roughest beach, hard to get too, not very child friendly. cdt had bad luck!!!!! Sorry, because Grace Bay is usually as calm as a swimming pool, with calmest section being around Coral Gardens. I saw it rough one time, it lasted about 2 days, so the odds are in your favor it will be calm. April seems to be a calm month. I don't find Sapadilla Bay to be grassy, but is pretty shallow.
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cdt and blamona. This is the kind of information I was looking for.
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Sapodilla bay is not grassy in my opinion. It is very shallow and not good for adult swimming. Just awesome for lounging in the water. Grace Bay was relatively calm when we there but not shallow like Sapodilla. We drove by Long Bay and it looked rough.
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Grace Bay was also not calm for us when we went last November (around Veteran's Day). It was rough pretty much the whole week (even the day we left), so swimming was predominantly relegated to the pool. I hope you have better luck in April. If the seas are calm it will be perfect for children.
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:14 PM

do not recall any grass at sopadilla bay beach. definetly no hotels. maybe 6 villas available. it is swimmable out about a football field or so. long bay beach is def not known for calm. again no hotels. and some of the the villas are in an area where 1000's of conch are washed up. not great for walking on and they have paths cleared for your entrance to swim. other parts are sandy.
agree that nov can be windy. and that april is not likely to be windy.