Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Calm water beaches...any suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/calm-water-beaches-any-suggestions-14341/)

mary May 10th, 1997 07:51 PM

Calm water beaches...any suggestions?

Does anyone have suggestions on which islands have calm water for swimming? I love the beach but I'm not a great swimmer. I'd love to go somewhere were I can actually get in the water without fear of drowning! Everywhere I've been has had really rough surf. Thanks!

Jean E. Bowers May 12th, 1997 07:23 AM

Every body of water has calm and rough days. I suggest that you try to swim from beaches with a very gradual drop off. I was in Anguilla last May and the water was like glass. On the same trip Shell beach, St. Barths was very rough. There is a beach on Grand Bahama Island,Lucayan Beach that is very nice and usually calm. I have found that the mornings are usually calmer. If you get the the U.S. Virgin Islands try the beach off of the St. Croix by the Sea Hotel and also the beach at Buck Island, which is off of the coast of St. Croix. Pure white sand and clear,clear ocean water. Should you wish to try your hand at snorkeling Buck Island trails are a must. The water is about 20 to 30 feet deep, but you can wear a life vest if it makes you more comfortable. In Montego Bay Jamaica, I have visited many times and have never seen the water rough. If you would like any further information please feel free to contact me.

Carol Dolida May 14th, 1997 06:34 PM

Were at Meghans Bay in St. Thomas on a VERY recent cruise...Read that this was one of the top 10 ranked beaches in the WORLD. We would agree after spending just a few hours of beaching on this island. It was paradise at its finest...Will definitely return again at the first chance!!!

Water was clear, beach not too crowded, well protected cove with good facilities...a few scattered topless babes and some nudes to boot!!!!

Would we go back???? YES!!!!!!!!

Yes to the cruise on a Celebrity ship and "YES" to a visit to St Thomas or St Marteen!

Sharon May 20th, 1997 06:52 AM

We just got back from a wonderful week in Anguilla. Shoal Bay East is one of the best beaches in the world and the water is calm and clear. I believe Shoal Bay Villas is a good choice to stay. We also liked Mead Bay, pure white sand and the water was like glass, heaven! Carimar Beach Apartments or Frangipani looked good according to your budget.

We stayed at the Cinnamon Reef Hotel which has its own private cove, very safe and all water sports equipment is free and a wonderful view of St. Martin. But next time we plan to stay on Meads Bay. Wherever you choose on this beautiful island you will not be disapointed. If you want further info e-mail me.

Carl Birkmeyer May 25th, 1997 03:37 PM

The Grand Anse beach in Grenada is fabulously calm. It's as nice as the Buck Island surf in St. Croix, but there are several nice hotels right on this beach, allowing you easy access. It's the calmest surf of any of the ten islands I've visited. You can actually lay in the water and not feel any motion.