Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Calling HowardC!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/calling-howardc-395914/)

guamgirl Feb 6th, 2004 05:26 AM

Calling HowardC!!!

I've read many messages with your advice, and I must say, I'm impressed. I wish I could travel as much as you do! And, I must say this Fodors talk site is too cool! I wish I'd known about it for our previous jaunts. Thanks Fodors!

Anyway, I'm hoping you could help with advice on where to snorkel and scuba in PR. Is it better to find a charter to Vieques for the day? or Culebra? Or Desecho? Any reputable dive companies you would suggest??? Do you dive?

We really want a great dive, not too difficult as we are a bit rusty. And we want to take our 11 year old snorkeling someplace calm and beautiful.

Thanks for your advice! All others welcome to respond too!

HowardC Feb 6th, 2004 01:39 PM

Not sure I can be of much help with this. My knowledge about PR goes about as far as the airport where we change planes to go elsewhere. Did go to Vieques late Oct for 8 days. Since the Navy moved out about a year ago they really haven't had much time to develop a tourist infrastructure. I did snorkel a couple of times but it wasn't that great. Didn't see any dive shops but there may be one or two. It would probably be very expensive to do a charter to Vieques or Culebra. The ferry is an inexpensive way to get there but you have to take a cab to Fajardo from San Juan which is about $60. Round trip airfare is about $125/person. www.vieques-island.com/ has some good info on it. If you are really into scuba and snorkeling I would recommend the Turks and Caicos which is a top diving destination in the caribbean. Check out www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the turks and caicos and www.adamsnames.com--Click on T&C and links for all kinds of onfo

Rob Feb 6th, 2004 07:26 PM

Go to http://www.travelandsports.com/.
Click on diving for a list showing location of most dive outfits in PR.

Mily Feb 7th, 2004 06:53 AM

Although I think Culebra is excellent for Scuba, my personal favorite is the area of Parguera in the town of Lajas. Lajas is located in the southwest area of the island about a two hour ride from San Juan. In this case I would suggest getting a rental car and staying overnight in La Parguera. This is also the place where one of three bioluminesence bays is located. Parguera is a great little town to hang out and relax. If you are lucky, you will be able to see the manatees swimming among the mangroves.

I usually dive with Parguera Divers. They are a Padi certified outlet and if you haven't scuba for some time they will go at your rythm. They will also provide you with the necessary equipment. Ask to dive the Wall. It's breathtaking.

Mily Feb 7th, 2004 06:59 AM

Forgot to mention...Desecheo is one of the top diving sites in PR, but you will need to make arrangements way ahead of time. No boats are allowed to dock on this island and the availability of scuba trips might be limited.

guamgirl Feb 7th, 2004 10:10 AM

Howard, thanks for the advice. I was wondering how good Vieques could possibly be if the Navy used it as a bombing range for decades. Yes, T&C is awesome for diving and scuba. We were there four years ago, I'd love to go back. But my favorite was in ST. Thomas, with Chris Sawyer diving, we actually went to BVI for two dives, and it was a great trip. Hope to go back again some day.

Mily: Thanks for the advice, not sure we want to overnight somewhere besides where we are paying, but never say never. Parguera sounds like a great place to dive, and I've read about Desecho, actually talked with an outfit in Rincon that goes there. Its just hard to make up your mind with all these possibilities. Six nights isn't enough time to see all the great stuff in PR, and my hubby does want some down time to just 'veg' by the pool. Its also hard to figure how far everything is, and what days to rent a car for the adventure!

The tip sheet I'm compiling is 14 pages long already, I've overwhelmed!