Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cable Beach Snorkeling for the NON SWIMMER?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 10:24 PM
Pat

<BR>HELLO, <BR> DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A NON SWIMMER WILL STILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY SNORKELING AT SANDALS, CABLE BEACH? <BR> THANKS <BR>

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 06:40 AM
Lee

Pat: Being a swimmer, I guess that it's something that you never think of. <BR> <BR>Snorkeling is basically lying or floating on the water, breathing and diving for short periods, obviously holding your breath. In your case, you'll be floating only. The salt water is very easy to do this as it makes you more buoyant, especially with flippers on. All you'll need is a mask, snorkel and the flippers. The water on Cable Beach is calm so that won't be a problem. <BR> <BR>The best places to snorkel are in shallow water (&lt;20 feet) and where fish and coral are present. The scenery is fantastic. You'll see so much more when you put your mask in the water. Just practice your beathing technique. <BR> <BR>Have fun

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Christie

Go ahead and give it a try. <BR> <BR>As Lee said, snorkeling isn't really swimming, since you float so easily in the salt water. The key to it is that you must be comfortable putting your face into the water, which is generally not a strong point of adults who don't swim. It can't hurt to try,a dn if the person doesn't like it, there are plenty of other activities to keep them occupied!

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 07:19 AM
stephanie

The last time I snorkeled I used a vest which inflates to help keep you afloat and loved it, it was so easy. I've snorkeled without as well, and it's not too difficult, but when you get in deep enough to where you can't touch bottom with your feet, and/or you stay out snorkeling for a while because you get so caught up in the beauty of it or following the fish around it helps to have help with floatation so you don't tire as quickly. Keep in mind that the more body fat you have, the better you'll float. I would imagine that any place that rents snorkel gear will have these snorkel vests - they'll give you an extra sense of security. Try it, it's a whole new world under there, and so beautiful!

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 09:50 PM
tweedy

Ok, I'll admit it I can't swim either, but put a mask, snorkle and fins on me and I am in the water for the day. I LOVE to snorkle. As the earlier posts said if you can float, that's all you have to do and wiggle your feet to move around. That's the good news, the not so good news (there's no bad news in the Bahamas), is that there isn't much snorkling in the Cable Beach area, I would suggest trying a day trip like Blue Lagoon, which is an off island adventure and it is alot of fun and not very expensive. <BR> <BR>A couple of hints about snorkling, wear a tee shirt and use LOTS of sun block <BR>(not screen) on your neck, the water <BR>increases the amount of sun you can get, so be careful, but have fun. <BR> <BR>tweedy <BR>