Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   BVI help please (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bvi-help-please-636779/)

owa Aug 5th, 2006 04:51 AM

BVI help please

We are going to Virgin Gorda next May ( I know I'm starting my search early--I can't help myself!). I already have seven nights reserved at a resort, but I need a place for 4 more nights.

I basically know nothing. We took a day trip to the Baths and Little Dix Bay years ago from St. John. We'd rather not stay at LDB.

One of my questions is are we better off flying to Tortolla and staying there for 4 nights, or flying directly to VG and staying there since that is where our 7 nights will be. We will be flying from San Juan.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks all, Owa

Tuxedocat Aug 5th, 2006 05:33 AM

Owa: I think if you list any particular concerns or "have to have" or budget constraints it would help folks give you answers. IMO, I would stay in Tortola the extra 4 nights just to do something different. Others may feel you can't get enough time on Virgin Gorda, but I think a week is fine.

ejcrowe Aug 5th, 2006 06:17 AM

Owa, I just love following your travels in pursuit of the perfect snorkeling! Where have you decided to stay on VG? I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip to VG for next summer with one of the granddaughters and snorkeling is our #1 priority for the trip. We'll probably only stay for 5 nights instead of a week and at this point I'm strongly leaning toward a villa rental.

We did Tortola last year and loved it, but the off the beach snorkeling there was only pretty good in places like Smuggler's Cove or Brewers Bay compared to the other snorkeling in the BVI we did--the Baths and at Cooper Island.

owa Aug 5th, 2006 07:03 AM

Thanks Tuxedocat and EJ. Our main concerns with lodging are clean and A/C. We are going to snorkel so I should have asked which island is best. Or maybe it doesn't matter if we take day trips. $300-400/night is fine. I was looking at some lodging that isn't on the beach and maybe that is ok also. I just don't know.

I bought a package for Biras Creek on VG. Now if I understand correctly, we will be able to take some day trips from there and they also have little boats that we can use to go to different beaches.

We have changed trips around. We were going to go to Vieques and Culebra next May, but now that we are going to VG in May, we will go in January instead. I just managed to get FF seats to SJU for that trip.

Thanks, Owa

ejcrowe Aug 5th, 2006 07:48 AM

Owa, Biras looks great! My husband's daughter and her partner went there several months ago and just loved it. They said the Boston whalers at Biras were a particularly nice touch, since when there was a swell on shore that interfered with snorkeling, they could take the boats out to other islets to access calmer water.

If it were just my husband and me, I would definitely want to stay there, but I'm afraid with our granddaughter it would be too crowded in one room, and there's no way we could afford two rooms. Even the charge for her sharing the room was a hefty one!

Are you going to do a daytrip to Anegada for the snorkeling while you're there? I hear it's amazing there, and we're considering it for our trip next year.

What about just staying put at Biras and asking if they can do a pro rata based on the package rate for the remaining 4 nights?

owa Aug 5th, 2006 08:07 AM

EJ, I didn't think of asking Biras about an extra four nights. Good idea!

Yes, I plan to go to Anegada. In fact, I was looking at lodging there for the 4 nights. Don't know if that is a good idea or not. I'm planning to do the 7 nights at Biras last because we have to leave early in the morning for SJU at the end. My thinking is that it would be safer.

I'm in the first stages of planning our Christmas trip for my family of ten. This will be the first time in 12 years that we have not gone to the Caribbean. This is going to be totally different--we are going ice fishing in northern Minnesota!! My Bemidji, Minnesota 16 year old grandson isn't allowed to even miss hockey practice. The hockey coach doesn't know how precious these trips are to me. I'm gearing up to the idea. As long as we are together.

Thanks, Owa

ejcrowe Aug 5th, 2006 08:16 AM

Owa, I can't think of a single thing that would be a great contrast to the Caribbean than ICE fishing! Yikes!

But you're right--the main thing is that your family will be together.

MarionCK Aug 5th, 2006 09:22 AM

Owa,

You make my heart smile :-) !

Ice fishing in Minnesota rather than the warmth of the Caribbean. You truly do care about your family and your philosophy of "as long as we're" together is one that I respect and admire :-)

I'd like to know who will be in charge of cooking the fish ;-) ?

Marion

owa Aug 5th, 2006 09:28 AM

Marion, I'm looking at a resort with meals included, AND fish cleaned for us!! If not, I have two capable son-in-laws and 3 grandsons. Notice I didn't include my husband in this!! Owa