Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   BVI Day Trips from St Thomas/St John? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bvi-day-trips-from-st-thomas-st-john-349647/)

1618Jackson Aug 19th, 2003 01:16 PM

BVI Day Trips from St Thomas/St John?

In November we will be honeymooning at the Ritz in St Thomas, and then Caneel Bay. We would like to have 2-3 day trips to the BVIs (we have never been). We are interested in seeing beautiful beaches, eating at fun cafes, seeing the local colors, and maybe a hike or 2. Any suggestions? Which Ferry's to take? Which Islands/towns/beaches to visit? Any insight is appreciated.

John

sunnybvi Aug 19th, 2003 01:46 PM

You will love the BVIs. Be sure to visit Virgin Gorda for fabulous beaches/caves you can swim/walk through, the Bitter End Yacht Club - also, get to Jost Van Dyke...on Jost, go to White Bay Beach where you can wade in with a drink in hand from the Soggy Dollar bar; the bars along the "main" street are fun (I've signed my name at Rudy's many times!), but if you can haul a taxi driver out of Foxy's, get him to take you to Sidney's Peace and Love on the other side of the island - a self serve bar, great food and lots of dancing and fun are worth the hilly, winding trip over! Make sure you tell your driver when to come back for you, or you may be staying at Sidney's longer than you planned! Enjoy!

ezron Aug 19th, 2003 02:43 PM

I'd take New Horizons, out of St Thomas. They provide a great day in the BVI(Baths, Virgin Gorda, Jost, etc.). They will pick you up on SJ as well.

resident Aug 20th, 2003 04:16 AM

I'm a big fan of Captain Nautica (www.captainnautica.com) for a day trip to the Baths, the Indians and Road Town and have taken several of these trips along with visiting family members and friends. It's a great way to see a lot (including awesome snorkelling spots) in one day, the service is excellent and the price is very reasonable. Have a great time whatever you decide on!

beachplum Aug 20th, 2003 06:37 AM

The Ritz cat has a weekly trip to Jost and it is a lovely day - one of my favorite spots! The Cap't Natuica is a large hardbottomed raft type vessel and some prefer the amenities of the charter trips to the Baths like Limnos but the smaller charters (a 6-pack called that because the passengers are limited to 6) provide an excellent alternative to the more crowded party-like trips. You can also opt for the public ferry to Virgin Gorda or even Jost if you want to do it on your own but check schedules since they don't go every day (VG is Thurs/Sun and Jost is Fri/Sat/Sun, I believe). The New Horizons does a four-island trip but doesn't leave much time to explore each stop. Prices are pretty competitive for the charters and some include lunch on board while on others you are on your own. You can also opt to do the trip to Little Dix with the Caneel boat but not sure how much time that would give you to explore VG after or before lunch.

redwolf Aug 20th, 2003 07:05 AM

Check out Peter Island Resort which might just give you a little of everything you are looking for without the hassle of going from one island to another in the BVI for that short a time. Read my trip report on Peter Island August 2003. There are 2 restaurants, several beaches, great hiking, wonderful snorkeling, fantastic over the top views from this island and its many vantage points, a myriad of watersports including kayaks, hobie cats, windsurfing, and just wonderful picturesqe scenery. You really have no need to leave the island because everything you are looking for is there.

cdt Aug 20th, 2003 07:37 AM

We booked a package from Smith's Ferry which included RT ferry from Red Hook to Tortola (West End), 4WD vehicle for the day on Tortola, and lunch at a restaurant of their choice. We were able to explore on our own - favorite spot was Smuggler's Cove.

beachplum Aug 20th, 2003 08:29 AM

didn't mention that on Saturday, I think it is, Smith's or InterIsland does a two island ferry trip. Morning on Tortola and afternoon on Virgin Gorda. Other than Brewer's and Smuggler's on Tortola the beaches there aren't the attraction. If it's casual funky beach bars on the beach Cane Garden may satisfy but personally I would not do the water there.

1618Jackson Aug 20th, 2003 09:20 AM

Thanks so much for all of the informative responses. This is a wonderful Board. Our USVI/BVI books just arrived from Amazon.com and we are eager to further our research. Needless to say, we can't wait for the trip.

John

Diana Aug 20th, 2003 10:02 AM

beachplum,
On Cane Garden Bay, you mentioned you would not "do the water there."
Is there a problem with too many yachties dumping their bilges there or something, or did you mean drink the water in the area?
I'm just curious. We are going to the BVI's and USVI's for 2 weeks in Oct., and I can't seem to find a decent place to stay on Tortola that is close to stuff.
I sure don't want to stay on "Tootsie Roll Bay" if that it what you are hinting! :D