Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

BVI Day Trip:Stormy Petrel, Limnos, or New Horizons?

Notices

Old May 20th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there have been a lot of posts about day snorkel trips to BVI and I've narrowed my choices to three. Does anyone have insight as to which of these is best? My primary criteria is quality of the snorkeling and just overall experience. Here are the three I'm considering and where they go:

Stormy Petrel - Baths, Cooper Island Lunch, Peter Island Snorkel

Limnos - Baths, Caves at Norman Island

New Horizons - Baths, Marina Cay Lunch, Snorkel Guana Island, beach at Jost Van Dyke

Which of these sounds best? Are there any half day/less expensive excursions if we want to do more than just one day?

Thanks!
Lisa
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM

We've used Stormy Petrel twice and will use them again in Aug/Sept when we go back. First time we were witha group of 10 second time we had a private charter for 2 families, this allowed us to desing our own itenerary. Ask for Andy & Lisa on your boat they are fantastic. If weather is nice ask to stop at the Indians. It's the best place to snorkle.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:44 PM

We used Limnos on our trip and did The Caves and Norman Island. Don't have any complaints about service or experience. My advice to you, however, is only drink alcohol on the way back to St. John. Those people we saw drinking on the way to the Baths and the Caves, were not feeling well enough to snorkel or swim!
Old May 25th, 2003, 01:00 PM
kbe

Stormy Petrel, for sure. Depending on the weather and ocean conditions, they will stop basically anywhere for snorkeling. When we last went in January, we snorkeled at The Baths and Peter Island, but the ocean was rough and those were the best places to go under the circumstances. We loved Capt. Rick and his stories. (See previous post)
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:28 PM

I'm not sure if you will be in St. Thomas or St. John. But, have you considered chartering your own boat? We just got back from St. John and the best day that we had was chartering a boat with a captain from Ocean Runners. Their office is on the beach between the ferry dock and Rumbalaya. This way, you can go on your own schedule and not have to snorkel with a crowd of people that you don't know. With 4 people, it was about was about the same amount money that we would have spent on one of the other pre-planned trips.

We chose to snorkel at the Indians and the caves at Norman Island, then we went to Willie T's (bar on an old sailing ship), the Soggy Dollar Bar and a brief stop at Sandy Spit. They will take you to the Baths if you want, but it takes longer to get there, so you won't have as much time for other stops. While we were at the caves, the Limnos boat pulled up and decided not to allow their passengers to snorkel because it was "too rough". However, we had no problems at all snorkeling in the caves that day. I would have been really disappointed if we had not been able to snorkel there after coming all that way! There were several families with small kids on board the Limnos boat, so I guess they didn't want to take the risk.

I HIGHLY recommend renting a boat from Ocean Runners. However, you will need to have more than 2 people to make it affordable. If you only have 2 people, I'd suggest the Stormy Petrel since they take a smaller group.

Have a great trip!
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Louis

If your interest is in the quality of snorkeling I would recommend http://www.sailcaribbeandivers.com/ instead for one of their snorkeling excursions or just go along with some divers which is much less expensive at $30 per person for 1/2 day. The Baths is worth seeing but it is not a good snorkeling area anymore. Also, I believe that for a small fee you can still go round trip on one of Sail Caribbean Divers boats over to Cooper Island where they have a facility. There you can find fair snorkeling off the end of the island to the right facing it. There you have a nice lunch spot at the Beach Club. Also, Cooper Island is a nice place to spend a few nights.
www.Cooper-Island.com
Of the three trips you mentioned, the last looks like a long time going from one place to another since it appears that you circle Tortola. I would not find that too interesting. They must snorkel from the boat at Guana as they do not allow day tripper on shore. There might be some fair snorkeling depending on where they anchor. The beach at Jost is nice but there is no real snorkeling as it is too sandy. Of the three you mentioned, the first sound most interesting as the places are near each other and there is some fair snorkeling on the other side of Peter Island. Another thing to consider is a day trip to Anegada. This is best done by plane but there are boat trips also. If it is not too windy the best snorkeling in BVI is at Loblolly Bay, Anegada.