Bugs in Turks and Caicos

Search

Bugs in Turks and Caicos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bugs in Turks and Caicos

We are leaving in 16 days for our trip to Provo.

I've not seen much on bugs, no-see-ums, or mosquitos. Are these a concern and should I take some bug spray?

Also, thimble jellies, is there a season for them, and if so, when is it?

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 05:19 AM

You should bring bug spray and use it at dusk. Most resturants are open air. While mosquitos are not "a problem" they do come out at night just like in the summer, here in the US.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Karen,
The resort we stayed at RWI did not have screened patios and we were concerned about mosquitos. They really weren't a problem. A few nights we sprayed ourselves sitting outside, but they weren't bad. We did encounter them at CoCo Bistro eating outside, but the restaurant supplied bug spray, your in the middle of a palm grove.

While we always encounter thimbles on GC in April/May, we never saw any that time of year on T&C.

I would bring some bug spray with you just in case!!!
Sandy
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:53 AM
cdt

We have visited several islands in the Caribbean area and Provo was the only one from which we returned with a significant number of bug bites.

We weren't sure when we were bitten, which makes me think it was no-see-ums rather than mosquitos, although we did see a couple of skeeters in our room.

So yes, use spray - or better yet, the new wipes, which we just found at our local Wal-Mart.

I suspect thimble jellies would be later in the spring, but not sure.

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 07:11 AM

My experience has been the exact opposite of cdt's. We found the least amount of mosquitos in Provo compared to other islands. But I think the bug situation is really more a product of whether the island has recently experienced a lot of rain. Provo gets much less rain than other islands so, consequently, there's a bit less of a bug problem. But even the most arid Caribbean destination will have a lot of insects flying around if it's been rainy.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 07:14 AM

I meant to write "Provo gets much less rain than MANY other islands." There are other relatively dry islands but you'll find insects on all the islands, arid or lush, because of the warm year-round climate.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM
cdt

It's quite possible that our experience related to the timing of the trip. We were in Provo in early December, shortly after hurricane season.

Our other trips have ranged between Christmas and Easter.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

very good information.

The wipes sound great, and I'll look for them this weekend.

Thank you all.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Hi, bug spray will come in handy, but the mosquitos are not that bad. We were there in December of 2004 and had no trouble with bugs or thimble jellies. You might want to check out my travel journal for some ideas and a photo gallery. You can find it here www.nbhtravel.com
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM

I got the new wipes before our last trip and I thought they were horrble, imo only. My experience was that by using the wipes, my hands were drenched in the oily nasty stuff and I couldn't touch anything (eyes, face,), not very handy on the beach. I spent the rest of my vacation searching for the good old spray which is touchless and simple. I thought the concept of the wipes was great, but not in actuality. Just my personal experience
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Am I the only one who does not know what thimble jellies are? Would someone please enlighen me? We'll be in Provo in April. Whatever they are, might they be a problem at that time of year?
Many thanks.