Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Buccaneer rooms on St. Croix (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/buccaneer-rooms-on-st-croix-561884/)

zialot Sep 30th, 2005 06:49 PM

Buccaneer rooms on St. Croix

Has anyone been to Buccaneer? If so, what room did you stay in? They have some great rates after mid-April, and we'd like to do ocean view, but is there a big difference between the Great House rooms and the deluxe or luxury ocean view rooms on the hill?

Also, how is the off-beach snorkeling?

Thanks!!

ccrosner Oct 1st, 2005 03:34 AM

We have been to the Buccaneer six times in the past 10 years so I will try to answer your questions.

We always stay in a Family Cottage on the hill (great for families like ours). If the "deluxe or luxury ocean view rooms" are actually the Doubloons down along Mermaid Beach--they are the most luxurious and newest and they are beautiful. HUGE bedroom with views to the water and gorgeous marble baths. Also lovely balconies with nice furnishings. The Great House rooms are very nice as well just not as luxurious. If the Doubloons are too pricey, I might suggest asking for a "ridge room" which are just next to the Great House and have gorgeous views, nice patios and granite bathrooms. I think they are on the website.

If you do go the Doubloons route, let me know as you will want to pick certain units for the best veiw and the most privacy.

Snorkeling off the beach is quite good according to my husband and 10 year old son. Especially good if you are a strong swimmer and can go farther out.

zialot Oct 1st, 2005 04:48 AM

Thanks for the great information! We originally were thinking of St. John (Caneel Bay), however, for the price in late April, the Buccaneer offers fabulous rates (1 night free if you stay 5 nights). I've been reading more about St. Croix and it sounds like a fantastic place to visit. I never expected it to be affordable, but it is.

Thanks again!

christiegr Oct 1st, 2005 04:52 AM

zialot,
Just thought that I would ask if you have ever been to St John?

If not, Caneel Resort is very nice and has wonderful beaches.If you have never been to STJ..I would consider it for a future trip.It's the smallest of the VI's and has the most laid back feel to it.

I would also like to go to St Croix oneday.:)

Christie

zialot Oct 1st, 2005 05:00 AM

Hi Christie - we've never been to St. John. We were looking at St. John & St. Croix, and the Buccaneer rates make it much more affordable than Caneel Bay. We are interested in snorkeling, fishing, boating, sightseeing, and eating good food, so we're trying to pick a good place for all of that. We still are not 100% sure on which location - I'm still researching it.

ccrosner Oct 1st, 2005 08:39 AM

Both islands are great although St. John is clearly more beautiful than St. Croix (we spent a day there once and would love to go back). St. Croix won't disappoint, however, as I would guess its restaurants (and their proximity to the Buc) are better than St. John. So there's pros and cons to both.

christiegr Oct 1st, 2005 04:55 PM

Also check out www.gallowspoint.com for cheaper but nice accomadations on St JOhn.They are fully air conditioned and convenient to town and only about 10 minutes from the North Shore beaches...which are awesome for snorkeling..very calm waters.

Good luck!!Anymore questions..feel free to ask.

Christie
Christie

Milo Oct 2nd, 2005 02:35 PM

I've been lucky enough to stay at both the Buccaneer and Caneel Bay. We stayed in the Great House at the Buccaneer...the room was very nice, there was an ocean view (distant), and the restaurant was really nice. Caneel, which is much more expensive, had comparable rooms and food. The biggest difference, however, is the location. The beaches and snorkeling are much, much better at Caneel.

caribedon Oct 5th, 2005 03:31 PM

Hello zialot! I would recommend St. John a million times over St, Croix. St. John is MUCH safer, better beaches and is just flat a better place to be.I would recommend staying at ESTATE LINDHOLM there, beautiful place and close to Cruz Bay and you canm get a wonderful room forclose to or less than $200 per night.