British Virgin Islands-Where to Stay?

May 6th, 1998, 04:40 PM
Joanne Looze

British Virgin Islands-Where to Stay?

Could anyone give their review of Long Bay Beach Resort on Tortola or Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda? Any other recommendations?

May 7th, 1998, 03:41 PM
Joel

May 7th, 1998, 03:54 PM
Joel

I carried on an e-mail correspondence with a very nice lady a few weeks ago. She had stayed at Long Bay and it was, in her opinion, over-priced and didn't provide a number of features she expected. Also she felt they had misrepresented the resort in the information they had given her on nearby beaches, etc. Her most serious complaint was that while the beach was beautiful she felf that the surf made it unswimmable. I could see a number of her points and it really showed how everyone sees things a bit differently. For myself I vacation on Tortola every year, but stay at Frenchman's Cay Resort a few miles away which I feel is the best on the island. I was writing a piece for a newspaper a few years ago and visited a number of resorts including Long Bay, spent some time with the manager, saw all the accomodations, etc. What I liked about Long Bay was the cabanas that are just off the beach and are landscaped for privacy. The beach was also extremely beautiful on an island full of great beaches. The pool area is inviting. On the other side of the coin, I feel the place has a cold atmosphere: The parking lot intruces on the ambiance, for example.
My biggest problem with Long Bay is that it hardly gets a breath of air whereas I want to feel the tradewinds which provide a constant cooling breeze on the windward side of the island. I don't want to use air conditioners and I don't want to sweat. All in all, Long Bay puts me off enough that I would definitely not stay there. Is it a nice resort? Certainly.

May 8th, 1998, 06:32 PM
john b

DON'T BE RIDICULOUS..LITTLE DIX BAY OF COURSE.

May 18th, 1998, 03:14 AM
Amelia

Little Dix is one of the best resorts in the world.
The only issue is one of price. Be warned there is not alot to do on Virgin Gorda or Little Dix.
Great Beach. A real honeymoon place.
If you want more activity and a place as nice as
Little Dix, try Caneel Bay (its sister resort)in
St. John.

May 18th, 1998, 08:57 AM
Louis Dameson

Long Bay Beach Resort and Little Dix are two different classes of properties. It is hard to place them in the same catagory. Frenchman's Creek would be my choice if you want to stay on Tortola. I always want to be on the breezy side of the Island and the place has the intimate quality we like. If the choice is just between Long Bay and Little Dix, Little Dix wins by miles. However, if you are in the Little Dix price range, give serious consideration to Guana Island. You can check them out at http://www.guana.com. You can believe the descriptions. We would pick them over Little Dix based on our experience at both places and personal tastes.

May 19th, 1998, 12:49 PM
Louis Dameson

Sorry, I meant Frenchman's Cay not Frenchman's Creek. However, Bira Creek is another place to consider on Virgin Gorda. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to pay.

May 20th, 1998, 11:20 AM
patricia kern

My husband and I spent a week at Long Bay Beach Resort last Nov. They were in the process of adding additional rooms and a new pool then (should be done by now). Beach was a disappointment to us. We have stayed in facilities in the Caribbean with nicer beaches than at Long Bay. Food was good, at beachside restaurant, however, their "fancy" restaurant was just that - high prices and not much of it. We have stayed on many, many islands and I'm not sure I would go back to this place.

May 27th, 1998, 05:58 PM
Jeff N

My wife and I returned last week from our honeymoon in St. Lucia and Tortola. We stayed the last four nights at Long Bay Beach Resort. I would agree with a few of the comments made previously, but disagree with others. Here are our observations:

1. The beach right at Long Bay is beautiful, but not very swimmable due to surf and coral. However, the hotel offers a free shuttle to Smuggler's Cove (about 10 minutes away) which was WONDERFUL! It is a quiet, calm beach with palm trees (for shade) enough white sand for sunning, and turqoise water.

2. The new pool is complete and is fabulous. The view from the pool over the ocean is gorgeous at sunset, and the swim-up bar and jacuzzi are great. The sunsets were incredible.

3. The "fancy" restaurant (known as the Garden restaurant) serves a very tasty filet mignon. However, the place lacks atmosphere. The Beach restaurant (more casual) is great for breakfast. Of course, we rented a jeep and preferred to go out to eat at night. We went to Sebastian's (just down the road) and Pusser's (at Soper's Hole). Sebastian's was particulary good for fresh fish (mahi mahi).

4. We had a hillside studio room with a large, private balcony that had a great view of the sea. The room was modern, clean and had a nice jacuzzi tub. We very much appreciated the air conditioning, since we had spent the previous four nights in St. Lucia at Ladera Resort (which is awesome, but has no a.c.).

5. Of course, Little Dix Bay and Biras Creek are the premium properties in the BVI--if you're made of money. For most people, those two are insanely expensive. The law of diminishing marginal utility applies here. However, if cash is no obstacle, I'm sure you would enjoy the five-star, $400+ per night establishments. Caution: Virgin Gorda is interesting, but one or two days is probably enough to see and do everything there.

Overall, Tortola was relatively unoccupied during our mid-May stay. The place is very laid back, and the locals are rather shy and reserved. We spent the previous five days in St. Lucia, which we found to be a much more primitive, tropical, visually stunning island. We had fun on both islands, and you should enjoy Tortola. Feel free to e-mail me directly with any other questions.

Jun 2nd, 1998, 05:06 PM
Hanauma

Jul 26th, 1998, 05:04 AM
PP

Anyone interested in private homes and Villas instead of resorts.
www.purplepineapple.com

Aug 11th, 1998, 06:06 PM
DHAYDEN

I AM TRYING TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS AT LONG BAY ALSO! MY TRIP IS FOR FEB, 99 - WHEN IS YOURS? HAVE YOU GONE YET? TALK TO ME!

Aug 11th, 1998, 06:14 PM
DHAYDEN

READ YOUR REPLY ABOUT TORTOLA. MY HUSBAND & I ARE TRYING TO PLAN A TRIP THERE IN FEBRUARY, 1999. I'VE HEARD THAT LONG BEACH RESORT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO STAY BUT NOW I'M NOT SURE. WE DEFINATELY WANT SOMEING LAID-BACK (THAT'S WHY WE CHOSE TORTOLA) BUT I WANT WHAT I PAY FOR. I ALSO WANT A CLEAN ROOM AND NICE ATMOSPHERE. BUT, IF THE BEACH ISN'T THAT GREAT, MAYBE I'LL PICK SOMEWHERE ELSE. THIS IS A SPECIAL TRIP FOR US SO WE WANT IT TO BE PERFECT!

PLEASE REPLY,

DHAYDEN

Aug 17th, 1998, 02:17 PM
Deb

Just returned from Tortola. We stayed at Frenchman's Cay, but took a look around Long Bay and Little Dix as well. If you've got the $$$, Little Dix is far and away the awesome, hands-down winner. If you would rather stay on Tortola, on a swimmable beach, consider some of these possibilites: Frenchman's Cay (there is a website), Sebastian's (also has a website), and a variety of places along the North Shore which include some gorgeous privately owned villas- some right off of Cane Garden Bay. Do the research, and you will come up with a spot just right for you. I would withold my Long Bay deposit before I did some further research, if I were you. I have a trip report, just completed. E-mail me to request a copy. Have you checked out the BVI Traveltalk Bulletin Board? We got great suggestions there.