Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Breezes Runaway Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/breezes-runaway-bay-196630/)

g jones Apr 9th, 2002 04:12 PM

Breezes Runaway Bay

Just returned from a trip to Breezes Runaway Bay. The beach was beautiful and the staff friendly. Rooms were mediocre and food marginal. Loads of people became ill while we were there with stomach disorders. I was very sick with what I believe to be food poisoning, and spoke with many others who also had severe symptoms. Beware!

Paolo Apr 9th, 2002 11:56 PM

Ouch! I will leave in one week to go there... Can you tell me more about this (any food you recommend to avoid) and how you found the overall quality of the reasort (it seems to me it's generally nice but it went down after 9/11).<BR>Thanks

Kate Apr 11th, 2002 07:35 AM

Hi - I'm headed there in about a month so I'm also very interested to find out more about your experience.<BR><BR>Did you do many of the water sports activities while you were there? I'd like to do some snorkeling and also my husband and I are interested in trying some scuba for the first time. Anyone know if this is a good place to try it?<BR><BR>Thanks!

g jones Apr 12th, 2002 03:53 AM

Paolo--after I became ill, I was so wary of the food that I'm not sure what to advise you. Just avoid anything you think has been out in the sun too long (like at the beach grill) and maybe any meat you are not accustom to eating.<BR>Kate--all the watersports were good there but the sea is not as calm as in Montego Bay, where there is more reef to help break up and calm the water. The scuba training takes up a good amount of time and I did not do it, but talked to some people who enjoyed it. My husband and a friend took a Hobie out for a sail as they know how, but if you don't someone will take you out.<BR>Try the Skittles (also called Bar Billiards) in the game room. We learned how to play with help from various staff and it was fun.<BR>Another thing--the air conditioning leaves a lot to be desired, but if you are like us, you will not spend much time in your room.<BR>I would go back to Breezes Runaway Bay if they improved things, but right now I would not recommend it.

Joe & Diane Apr 20th, 2002 10:26 AM

We spent 7 nights there from 3/29 to 4/5/02 for our 25th anniversary, and will definately return. The food was good, with a lot of variety in the four eating places available. We are both RN's, and are fussy about food and cleanliness, and found both to be better than many hotels we have vacationed at in the States. The people there are gracious and friendly, and are pleased to take care of your every need or request. We are active people, and enjoyed the golf, our caddie, tennis, scuba, snorkeling, the beach, and the entertainment. It was a great place to play and relax. Many of the people we met had been there multiple times. If you want glitz and high-end accomodations, stay at the Wyndham Rose or the Half-Moon in Montego Bay, but if you want to have fun at a reasonable price, don't hesitate to give Breezes Runaway Bay a try. I am sorry that some people might have a bad experience with the place, or the food ( one of the writers may have had a GI bug prior to their arrival), but there is a hotel and culinary college close by and that is where many of their "trainees" come from, but are excellent. We give it a 9 out of 10 rating, and are looking forward to going back again someday.

Linda Apr 21st, 2002 02:22 PM

Just returned from this resort. We had a wonderful time. No problem with the food. I was a little worried because of some negative reviews, but we absolutely loved it there. The staff was wonderful and went out of there way to please you. The entertainment at night was the best. Last year I stayed at Couples OR and the entertainment at night was'nt half as good. And Couples is suppose to be a step above Breezes RAB. I will definatly return.<BR>Linda

Kate Apr 22nd, 2002 10:50 AM

Thanks for the recent reviews! I'm wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit more about the snorkeling and scuba at Breezes. <BR><BR>For the snorkeling do you have to go on boat to get out to a good spot or can you find some good snorkeling close to the beach? <BR><BR>I'm also interested in trying scuba diving for the first time but the trip is only for 4 nights. I would guess that's probably not enough time to learn and enjoy it, but would appreciate any thoughts you have. <BR><BR>Thanks!

Shana Apr 22nd, 2002 11:18 AM

I'm headed to Breezes - MoBay this weekend. Just a couple of single thirty-something girls looking for R&R and some fun! I would love to hear from anyone planning to be there next week, maybe we could hook up and explore the island...I'm wary about excursions alone. I'm hopeful for good food and great weather!