Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

I am African American and am going to Jamaica with a white friend. Do you think that she will be treated as well as me?

I am African American and am going to Jamaica with a white friend. Do you think that she will be treated as well as me?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:17 PM
Charelle

I've been to Jamaica twice before and have love it each time. I was treated so well and never hassled like other tourists are. Im going in May with a friend of mine that is white. Do you think that she won't be treated as warmly by the people as I was. I am a little worried about this because the two of us go back a long time. It just might be kind of uncomfortable and embarassing.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:25 PM
anon

My husband and I are white and were both treated very kindly in Jamaica. <BR><BR>We were offered ganga very frequently. I don't know if black guests are offered it as much? That's the only thing I felt uncomfortable about.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Malik

Hey Charelle! You and your friend will have a nice time in Jamaica. As you know, its beautiful and the people are great. I was there in Febuary with my partner and his sister who are white. They did get hussled a bit more than I did but people were cool. Being gay down there is another story. You have to keep a low profile a bit. Kind of surprising.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:03 PM
Bob

Charelle--Just go and enjoy yourselfs. If she is with you, she will not get hassled by blacks. They will think she is cool! If the whites see you with her, they will treat you with respect!! It is all cool!!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:38 AM
tivertonhouse

Nah vex uself! Don't worry. Your love of the island will quickly rub off on your friend and Jamaicans treat tourists with a genuine sense of wonder very very kindly. You're tourists first, remember, and two women travelling together of any color are not suspect. We've had multi-racial couples,families, lovers, lesbian honeymooners,straight honeymooners, wedding anniversary celebrants -- a full spectrum this season of guests, and not one has reported back a sense of uncomfortableness or embarassment -- if anything, to the contrary. Take your friend out into the country, away from resortland and <BR>go explore/the South Coast,Treasure Beach or Port Antonio areas might be the most rewarding for you both.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
white

Hey, I went to Jamaica a month ago with my girlfriend. I'm white and I'm gay. We were given no hassles and were treated very well by everyone. We made lots of friends with the Jamaican people and still keep in touch with a good friend. He's coming up to visit us this summer, for an "American" experience.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:58 PM
Nap

Charelle,<BR><BR>Speaking as a Jamaican,she will probably get treated better. The "blacks" will associate her with money. The men don't care what colour you are or how you look..they hit on everything from "foreign"..again its about money.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:01 PM
Nap

not sure why the suprise about homophobia in JA. Despite the hype..its a conservative religious culture.