Boutique Hotels on the beach & Hurricane

Aug 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Boutique Hotels on the beach & Hurricane

Where can I stay on the beach but at a boutique hotel in PR? Also if we're staying from 10/5 - 10/8/06, do we have to worry about hurricanes???
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:09 AM

There is always a risk during hurricane season, no one can give you a guarantee. Hopefully you will not have bad weather. GL
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM

Unfortunately, as MIM04 says there's always a risk and nobody can possibly predict now what the weather patterns will be in early October. As for boutique hotels, the Water Club in San Juan promotes itself as a boutique hotel. It's right in the middle of things if you want to stay busy on vacation.

There's also the Horned Dorset Primavera on the west coast near Rincon, which is a small Relais & Chateaux property. It's very expensive, but I've always thought that it looks amazing. This would be a quieter location than Water Club.
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:36 AM

You might check out Club Seabourne on Culebra - and there are a few places on Vieques that might qualify as boutique hotels - guess I don't really know what that means!
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM

There a few places on Vieques that might qualify as boutique hotels, but none would be located on the beach. Only Martineau Bay Resort is right on the beach on Vieques. Inn on the Blue Horizon, which is a very nice small inn, is right on the water but not on a beach.
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Boutique hotel really means just a smaller family-owned & run operation as opposed to a huge resort. What would you say is the best beach location in PR?
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:35 PM

Boutique hotel also implies certain levels of luxury and ameneties, too. Not just that's smaller and individually owned.

I'd say that the best beaches in PR are on Vieques, which is a short airplane ride or 1.5 hour ferry ride away.
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, you are right it can mean luxury too but I did mean smaller/family owned type.
We are staying 4 nights and I would love to see Old San Juan and then spend the rest of the time on the island...how would you handle this? We are flying into san juan, should we stay one night in old san juan and then take the ferry over or do we need just a few hours there?
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, you are right it can mean luxury too but I did mean smaller/family owned type.
We are staying 4 nights and I would love to see Old San Juan and then spend the rest of the time on the island...how would you handle this? We are flying into san juan, should we stay one night in old san juan and then take the ferry over or do we need just a few hours there?

THANKS.
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:12 PM

Have you been watching the weather lately? There's a Tropical storm a brewing.PR seems to be directly in its path.
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:05 PM

It's easy to break up 4 nights by spending 1 on Old San Juan or San Juan and the others on Vieques--I just did the very same thing earlier this year. We stayed at Hacienda Tamarindo on Vieques for 3 nights and then we went to El Convento in Old San Juan for our last night.

Some folks going to Vieques first might not want to leave to go back to the mainland of PR, but for us spending the night in OSJ was the perfect transition back to the real world from being on island time. OSJ was still more laid back than the lives we had left behind at home, but there was enough hustle, bustle and excitement to ease the transition. If you're interested, you can do a search under my name for an extensive trip report I wrote in May. Other folks here have great trip reports, like Owa or HowardC.
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM

The criteria of this poster has nothing to do with breaking up nights:

"Where can I stay on the beach but at a boutique hotel in PR? Also if we're staying from 10/5 - 10/8/06, do we have to worry about hurricanes???"

They dont have to worry about hurricanes because San Juan airp[ort can get them out at a moments notice.

They dont want to go to Vieques or Rincon given there 3 days..

They want peace and quiet at a boutique hotel.

here is the only choice:

http://www.waterclub.com/home.php

Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. If our flight gets in at 10:00AM on Oct 5th, do we have enough time to explore Old San Juan and then take a ferry later in the night to Vieques?
I guess my real question is:how long is needed to explore Old San Juan?
Also, what is the ferry schedule like?
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM

publisher,
Many times on this forum, threads sway a bit from the original question. I think that often, the original poster ends up gaining more information to assist them with their decision. That is why people do research. Just my humble opinion.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM

You are correct!
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM

PUblisher, please note this from the OP further down in the post:

" We are staying 4 nights and I would love to see Old San Juan and then spend the rest of the time on the island...how would you handle this? We are flying into san juan, should we stay one night in old san juan and then take the ferry over or do we need just a few hours there?"

This sounds like splitting the stay to me and wanting to see Vieques.

You give very helpful information here, but you seem a bit dismissive of other folks' advice. Just because we don't live there doesn't mean we can't be helpful, too.