Bougainvillea Beach resort-Barbados

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Joanna

Bougainvillea Beach resort-Barbados

My fiance and I are interested in possibly spending our honeymoon at this resort. Is this a good choice? The pictures and reviews of the resort look fantastic, but am wondering why it is rated as four star instead of higher...and it seems so reasonably priced...is there a reason for this?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Susan

I will be returning on the 22nd from the Bougainvillea and let you know.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:07 PM
Vince

Susan, where are you? We are also scheduled to visit there soon and are anxious to hear your opinion.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:33 PM
Tess

There are 30 reviews in this resort, including 2 reviews from people who had been there in April and May. It's
http://caribbean.wheretostay.com/property/477-reviews.html
Goodluck!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Susan

Just returned. Had a BLAST!!! Bougainvillea was the best resort on the South Coast. The weather was beautiful. However, very very expensive.
Enjoy!!!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Lois

Susan -

We stayed there in November & have been several times -- totally love the resort. However, the sewer project in that area made getting into and out of the resort a big problem the entire time.

What is the status of all of that road work on the South Coast -- how is it around Bougainvillea Beach; what about St. Lawrence Gap area & also the south coast road heading toward Accra direction?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Joanna

Glad to hear you had a great time. Could you elaborate on the very very expensive response. The hotel, the food at the hotel, the bars, or the entire island? Thanks.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Susan

Hello All.
The construction around the resort was minimal. It seemed to have moved away from the coastline, more inside the island. The main restaurants in the Gap area were all opened and the main road was clear of construction. Most of all, I highly recommend the Tiami Catamaran Cruise around the West Coast. AMAZING!!! The West coast seemed to be the better side of the island i.e. clamer waters and a bit more plush. The poverty in Barbados is extremely high.
As far as expensive....everything is expensive. $5 -$10 US dollars for a bottle of water. Dinner for 2....around $200 US dollars. Drinks were about $10 US dollars. By the way, we met wondeful people there and the staff and vacationers were all extremely nice. There was even a wedding there so for a Honeymoon, Barbados would be a great destination. You will have a wonderful time...........it matters most, who you share it with! Enjoy!!!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Kim

I stayed at the Bougainvillea in November 1999 with my family. It was very nice, great rooms, but the evening entertainment was a little lacking. The restaurants were okay, average resort pricing ($15-30 US for entrees). The location was good.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Lois

Although we've stayed at Bougainvillea several times, we do not care for their restaurant and normally never eat there.

The beach looks beautiful, but due to waves, it can be a bit choppy at times. A much calmer beach nearby that we always drive to and use is Sandy Beach at St. Lawrence Bay area.

Food is expensive on any island. Typical meals at the nicer restaurants for 2 with a starter, main course and possible shared desser with a bottle of moderately priced wine will definitely run $100-$120 US (includes tip).

Poverty is not as bad as the previous poster mentions. When you drive around the island you will see the colorful "chattel houses" & the poorer people that go along with it. But you don't run into begging like many of the islands have. Also there are many middle-income type homes all over the island. Most people are employed.

Glad to hear the sewer/road project is moving along -- hopefully it won't be too disruptive as it was on the South Coast as it proceeds up the West Coast.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:48 PM
justme

We went to Barbados just over a year ago. We found that there were fabulous places to eat for reasonable prices(60-100 dollars for 2) however much to our suprise the coffee was outragous. We each had a couple of cups and our coffe bill was larger than the meal. Much cheaper to drink their local beer or alcohol. Take your own coffee if you drink lots like we do. We loved the Island and are having a hard time deciding if we should go back or try someplace else.