Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Booking the Ritz in Jamaica (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/booking-the-ritz-in-jamaica-328679/)

jsmgem Jun 18th, 2003 09:45 AM

Booking the Ritz in Jamaica

I've read several messages about booking through travel agents and directly with the Ritz in Jamaica, but has anyone booked through Expedia? If so, is their AI the same as what the Ritz offers directly? Is the ocean-view worth it (vs. the garden-view)?

nickie Jun 18th, 2003 10:00 AM

Never had luck with Expedia, but try American Airlines Vacations website, which often has rooms for much less than the hotel offers directly. They have a website which is easy to use, and I booked the Ritz w/them after it first opened. The view is really an issue of preference. I happen to love sittting on my balcony early in the morning and in the evening and seeing the ocean, so I always book an ocean view, but if the $$ is more important to you than the view, go for the garden. In either case, have fun, it's a great hotel.

jsmgem Jun 18th, 2003 10:59 AM

I checked through American and their price is several hundred dollars more than Expedia. Have you actually had a bad experience with Expedia?

gdpark Jun 18th, 2003 01:22 PM

Just a suggestion- Have been twice and STRONGLY reccommend that your room be in the wing to the right. Stayed there first time and it was great- Second trip we overlooked the tennis courts and it was stifling on the balcony- no breeze. Not sure how oceanfront vs. garden is denoted- there are some purely oceanfront rooms, but most (not all) rooms have a view of the water. Booked both trips directly w/Ritz. Air Jamaica seems to have some good deals too...

jsmgem Jun 18th, 2003 05:03 PM

Could you clarify which right you're referring to? If you're looking at a picture of the hotel from the ocean...the right side? Thanks!

travel_gal Jun 18th, 2003 06:48 PM

The resort is horseshoe shaped. Let's say you're in the middle looking at the ocean. You want to be on the right hand side. We went there when it first opened and we had a suite at the very end of the right hand side directly overlooking the ocean. It was perfect and very quiet. The other side is closer to the pool and other things and is much nosier.

Lmaev Jun 19th, 2003 08:58 AM

I choose the right side as well.
My family stayed in the wing when you are looking at the ocean to the right.

nickie Jun 19th, 2003 09:15 AM

I haven't had a bad experience with Expedia, I just like having human beings to call at AAVacations who answer questions and help if there are problems during the vacation.(You can book online or on the phone) I'm surprised the AA price was so much higher. Did your Expedia quote include all taxes and fees, and transfers? AA includes those things.(And often has cheap excursion airfares too).

Patty Jun 19th, 2003 09:42 AM

Just curious is there some reason you don't want to book with the Ritz directly? The rates on Expedia seem to be the same as what's offered on the Ritz site. Why pay the Expedia service charge? Or are you looking for a package with air? If that's the case, you may want to check Air Jamaica as well.

We were in the left wing and didn't have a problem with noise, but I can see how it could be an issue if you were directly overlooking the pool area. We booked a garden view and had a view of the ocean from our balcony.

Patty Jun 20th, 2003 11:09 AM

I just came across a luxurylink package for 7 nights AI at the Ritz in an ocean view including business class air on AA and limo transfers for $4110 for two people. There are about 10 or so departure cities available and it's good for travel thru Nov 14th. Seems like a good deal when you consider the Ritz rate of $405 a night for ocean view and depending on where you're flying from. You may want to check it out - it's listed in their "Best Buys" section so there's no bidding. I've had good experiences with luxurylink.