Reload this Page >

Booked and now nervous a bad idea - food concerns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:55 AM
surfside

Hi,<BR>I booked a trip for my husband, myself, and two 11 year old boys to travel to Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana. I'm getting SO nervous that I made a mistake. The travel agent told me there would be no concerns with food/water problems, but by reading the boards, it appears to be a MAJOR problem. It is such a big tourist destination now, I figured it couldn't be too much of a problem.<BR>Of course, most of the postings say use common sense, and don't overindulge. But...some seem to imply there is a high probability of getting tummy ills or food poisoning. I'm concerned for my children, and my husband who has an easily upset stomach. <BR>Should I cancel and book somewhere safer?<BR>My other choice was Mayan Riviera, Mexico,and thought that would be the same concern.<BR>Please advise!!!!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Kelly

I've been to the DR 4 times, and never had a problem. I've been to Punta Cana twice, and even though I drank from the tap because I didn't know I might get sick, I did not. When I went to the Coral Hamaca, there were pictures above the sink advising not to drink the tap water. My husband drank the water from the tap anyway, and got sick for 2 days. My only advice would be to not drink tap water. I've had plenty of drinks with ice, and didn't have any ill effects from it. Bottled water is supplied in most hotel rooms. <BR><BR>I've also had no problems with the food, and I've eaten just about everything available at the resorts.<BR><BR>Just go, relax, and have a great time. Because of the value, the beauty of the beaches, and the friendly help at the resorts, I don't think I'll ever travel anywhere else in the Caribbean for vacation.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Anna

My husband and I returned from the Riu Melao in Punta Cana two weeks ago. We drank and brushed our teeth with bottled water. I avoided lettuce at the buffet, but ate almost everything else. Neither one of us got sick, I'd definitely return to the Dominican Republic. The beaches are beautiful and the resorts are a great value. You may want to look at http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/ if you haven't already. Lots of great resort reviews and travel tips. Be sure to bring lots of sunscreen, we wore SPF 30 all week and got deep tans, we were burning with SPF 15.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:01 AM
just

Go have a good time. The Iberostars are quality facilities and everything is prepared and cleaned with purified water. True, you can't drink the tap water but there is no concern as the resort provides all the drinking water you can ask for!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Jeremy

"but by reading the boards, it appears to be a MAJOR problem. "<BR><BR>hmmmmmmmmm.<BR>Maybe because these boards are full of low lived morons!!!! (yvette)

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Mj

I stayed at the Iberostar and loved it! We had no problems at all. Do drink bottled water and it helps to hit the buffet early when food is freshest or pay attention to how often they are changing it out. It looked well-tended everytime we went! Get gourmet restaurant reservations if you can; the food was even better with relaxed atmostphere and good service.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:29 AM
anon

I don't know...the food might get ya, the water is probably filled with microbes, the jellyfish are after ya, you'll probably get mugged in town, you won't have the right currency and people will be pissed. You'd better cancel and stay home.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:54 AM
xxx

anon: All she said was that she was concerned about potential hazards resulting from the water. How do you take that to mean she's also worried about jelly fish, being mugged, or having the wrong currency? You and Jeremy both need to chill.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:32 AM
anotherxxx

I thinnk xxx is referring to all the other "worry" posts on this board.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Jane

I'm concerned as well. Got a great price for my family to DR and haven't confirme as of yet. Not obsessing, but inquiring if DR is at great risk for stomach problems than some other caribbean destinations. Of course, you can get sick drinking water in a different state even back home, but can it be avoided just by bottled water alone? I hope we both find the answer we are hoping for.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Lovedit

I went to the Dominican Republic last summer and it was wonderful. We stayed at the Natura Park Resort, which was very beautiful. I was sixteen at the time, and while I went with my father and sister, my mother had to work and stayed home. She too was pretty worried about the food and the possibility of us becoming sick. I ate alot of the food, including the fresh fruit and I did not get sick at all. I guess it might have been because we as a family eat alot of "different" foods, so maybe my stomach was used to the variety. I feel that the same rule applys to this place as at all others, dont over indulge, of course if you eat too much fruit you will get a stomach ache. That can happen anywhere. I would say you should definately keep your reservations. The trip is wonderful and the food great too. I had the best mango I have ever tasted in the Dominican Republic. If it is still a big concern, pack a small bag with Pepto-Bismal. We had a little medical kit with us, provided by mom, and we never used it once. Hope this helps!