Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   BONAIRE Snorkeling Recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bonaire-snorkeling-recommendations-814683/)

Liesl Nov 17th, 2009 08:31 AM

BONAIRE Snorkeling Recommendations

Hi folks-

Planning a trip to Bonaire for late February, and we are booking some excursions with snorkel guides for the first couple of days to get oriented. We will be doing some independent snorkeling from the shore later in the week, and I'm wondering if anyone has any favorite spots for beginner-intermediate adults.

"Alles Gut!"

RobertoB Nov 18th, 2009 02:47 AM

I would suggest going to BonaireTalk and clicking on the Snorkeling Bonaire link.

Just curious, what carrier are you flying to Bonaire on and how did the travel times work out?

Liesl Nov 18th, 2009 03:56 PM

Thanks, I have started to review that site.

Delta - nonstop - from JFK. Saturday travel times are amazing: depart JFK about 10:45 am, arrive Bonaire sometime around 4:40 pm; depart Bonaire about 5:00 pm, arrive JFK just before 9 pm. (Continental has a redeye that leaves close to midnight and gets into Bonaire at about 5 am).. I usually use American to the Caribbean, but drew a blank this time. Seems to me they used to have service through San Juan...

StanKase Nov 19th, 2009 01:31 PM

I do not want to make you sorry you are going because the snorkeling for avid snorkelers who have gone around Caneel Bay 5-6 years ago when the coral was still 75% alive, or Grand Cayman 8-9 yrs.ago,or Belize which is still very good you will find the snorkeling to be average. We were there 16 years or more ago and it was first rate but a return trip 7-8 years ago found the combinaation of a few hurricanes, global warming and pollution from buiding near the water and boats had killed much of the coral. On the otherhand for diving the cinditions below 40ft. were still quite good. The locals were lovely, the laid back environment helped to chill you out and the accommodations available in 2000 were pretty good and less expensive than other islands in the area. Sorry but unless coral now grows at a faster pace than normal it will be pleasant but not more.

Liesl Nov 20th, 2009 02:49 PM

Pleasant is OK. Would I rather be in New York in February - - - or in Bonaire? The answer to that is simple, snorkeling or no snorkeling.

We were at Caneel last year, and it was very good- although not as good as I remember is was in 1969 or through the '80s and early '90s.i StanKase, I am aware that you are our resident snorkeling expert, as you have snorkeled all over the world, and that you have very high standards. I appreciate your input, and will hope for the best. Thank you, and "Alles Gut!"

jhaller Feb 13th, 2010 07:02 PM

The more north you go, the more corals. Go check 1000 steps. Or go with a boat to klein Bonaire.

MMT Feb 15th, 2010 09:13 AM

We have just returned from a very short trip to Bonaire. I do hope you have booked with Renee to be your snorkelling guide. We had such limited time we felt it best to have a guide and she was the best..even provided me with a wet suit as I was cold. She even took us night snorkelling.
Enjoy!!

StanKase Feb 16th, 2010 03:04 PM

I did forget the 1000 steps is a good spot so make sure 1 snorkel trip goes there.It is a nice island. I just did not want you to think it was the Great barrier Reef. In 1969=70 I snorkeled there and it was outstanding but nature has it's ways which is good overall. But, man then really messes things up.Enjoy.