boat rides from st. maarten to st. barths

Jan 24th, 2001, 01:42 PM
mills

boat rides from st. maarten to st. barths

we are travelling (again) to st. maarten's. need to know a boat that will take us round trip st. maartens to st. barths. heard that ferry "the Edge" makes people sea sick. does any one have any suggestions for boat transportation?

Jan 24th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Bob

Hi,
We have been to ST Martin several times and deceided to go to St Barts. We looked into the boat ride and we got almost a 100% response that the boat ride will get you sick on the way over, not on the way back.
Marge gets sea sick we looked into flying. Best decision we could have made. It is a short fligt, with great view, and one we will always remember.
With the boat trip you leave later, get there much later and have a short time to really see the island.
We made the mistake of flying from the dutch side and had to pay a departure tax. If we flew from the French side, this would not have happened.
Also, while in ST Barts, rent a MOKE. It is a golf cart type car. Fun to drive, inexpensive, and was able to see the entire island.
We went to Saline Beach until noon, then went to Le Select for lunch (I'm a Jimmy Buffet Fan), then drove around the islnad and did some shopping and then flew back to ST Martin.
I have pictures of MOKE, the beach, Le Select, etc if you are interested. Just Email me if you would like further info.
But bottom line, Fly and don't take the boat.

Bob

Jan 25th, 2001, 08:54 AM
R. Bailey

The boat can be rough, but it depends on the sea conditions. One trip under sail was a bit uncomfortable, another under power was fine, but I do agree with Bob; flying is better- althouh some people might not appreciate the landing.

Jan 25th, 2001, 05:03 PM
paul

you'll be sorry....on the return trip to St. Martin. It's rough water and you'll regret it. Trying flying there instead on Winward Islands Airways - it's just a 7 minute flight from St. Martin, and the landing on St. Barts is its own form of entertainment!!

Jan 29th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Betsy

All true. Flying is much better. The landing on St. Bart's is a gas. and you will never forget it. We went for a weekend once while we were in St. Martin and loved it. Betsy

Jan 29th, 2001, 06:16 PM
mills

thank you all for your advice. i will look further into the plane. we'll be visiting family who are vacationing in st. barths and i believe they intend to take us around. bob, i would like very much to see your pictures.

thanks again.