Search

Honeymoon in Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Jamaica

My finacee and I are getting married in June and she left me in charge of planning the honeymoon. The only conditions she gave me is that the hotel rooms must be clean and have A\C. She also would like to do a few excursions. We went to an AI in the Dominican Republic last year and I liked not having to carry my walet around with me so I think that we will go with an AI in Jamaica. I've heard a lot about the Sandals resorts (specifically Whitehouse) and the Couples resorts. My question is which would you recomend for honeymooners? We are not into partying but would like a place that gives us the option of sitting around all day or being constantly busy. Feel free to recommend any resorts as we are still very open to suggestions. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM

If there was ever an AI resort I'd be tempted to stay at in Negril....it would be Sunset at the Palms (formerly Negril Cabins). The place looks amazing! It is located across the road from the beach, however. They maintain a large easement across the road on the beach with a fabulous beach bar on Bloody Bay. I have heard nothing less than outstanding and the accomodations are about as romantic as I could ever imagine. http://www.sunsetatthepalms.com/

Check it out....I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM

There are AIs and then there are AIs.
Highly recommended is Negril's THE CAVES
for honeymooners who want the convenience of an all-inclusive plan, without that 'packaged resort' feeling
-- or crowds. Whitehouse Sandals is
self-contained resort 1.15 hours from Negril and MoBay. Some Sandals afficiandos love it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea style-wise.
With a private guide/driver service,
you'd be able to daily explore or not
as the mood strikes and do it privately, without being on tour with fellow guests. Goldeneye on Jamaica's North coast at Orcabessa might also
make your shortlist for AI convenience
at a far higher privacy/style point.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:11 AM
KVR

We are planning our first trip to Negril in Nov. and was leaning towards Couples. We've been to Sandals in Nassau and St. Lucia and just don't feel the Sandals in Jamaica compare well.

I took a look at the web-site for Sunset at the Palms CarribeanSoul referenced and just had to say "WOW". We are now rethinking Couples. Sunset doesn't offered as many included activites as Couples, but it is also less expensive, which means your probably paying upfront for those activities whether you use them or not.

If anyone has more info on Sunset at the Palms, please let me know.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I have to tell you I researched Jamaica for over a year before booking at Couples Negril.

My advise to you is to start with determining which area of Jamaica interests you... We chose Negril because of the beaches..... Bloody Bay and Seven Mile Beach are suppose to be the best beaches Jamaica has to offer. Once we decided on Negril, then we were faced with which Couples resort? Couples Swept Away or Couples Negril.... We chose CN because of the swim up bar, although CSA is building a 3rd pool which is an infinity pool with a swim up bar, due to be completed the end of April.

If you want the beach I would suggest Negril, If the beach is not important to you then you have the option of the Cliffs area in Negril and as mentioned above the Caves is suppose to be incredible although pricier than Couples or Sandals.

Ocho Rios or Montego Bay do have some of the most posh resorts, however through all my research the beaches do not compare to Negril.

Couples was the least expensive from our area, over Sandals, and seemed to include the most. It is famous for it's number of repeat visitors, and that in itself spoke very loudly to me in our decision. We leave in 17 days, and I cannot wait.

If you have not already gone to their website, spend some time on their message board, you will get a feel very quickly of the loyalty of their past guests, and how often they return. They must be doing something right.

www.couples.com

Research, continue to ask questions, and good luck on your upcoming wedding.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I am one of the loyal Couples repeaters mzambo spoke of. We were at Couples Negril in January 2005 and just got back from Couples Ocho Rios, where we renewed our vows. Both resorts are romantic and give you plenty of options on how to spend your days... when at Ocho Rios we went horseback riding, on a catamaran cruise, wreck diving, hobie-cat sailing and enjoyed several 4 and 5 course dinners (all included). We also participated in Beach Bingo, Pool Olympics, and Couples Margaritaville. The staff at the Couples Resorts is committed to taking care of you, and are very good at what they do.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM

Also a fan of Couples. Swept Away for us. For a HM, I would go Sweapt Away. I get the impression that Couples Negril is more of a social, party atmosphere. But it has its loyalists too and I haven't been there. I would be very open to checking that one out too. But Swept Away just has that laid back, romantic vibe.

We were also looking at Sunset at the Palms when looking to book our most recent vacation. It looks gorgeous!! The dealbreaker was that I read a lot of posts from people stating that the food choices were lacking. That there is I think 1 place to eat in the evening and once they close, you are out of luck. The fact that Swept Away had so many restaurant choices is what made us decide to return there instead of checking out Sunset at the Palms. I think were we doing a 4 night trip, I would check out Sunset. But more than that, I'm going to need more than one choice in dining.

OH...also been to Breezes Runaway Bay. Also very much liked it, but I wouldn't go there for a honeymoon.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM

We went to The Caves (not a HM though) and really liked it. It is very peaceful. There are some downsides to The Caves. I actually posted a review on TripAdvisor. I think it was titled, Worth the Trip and my location was Long Island. We went in March of 2004.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:07 PM

If I had to choose an AI in Jamaica, I would go with Couples Negril or Couples Swept Away. Being in the business (travel agent), I send alot more people to the Couples resorts vs. Sandals. Couples has a more refined feeling to it, and you don't get bugged by the "playmakers" all day. Between the 2, I would say that Swept Away is more romantic, but if having a TV in your room is important, make sure you get booked into the "new" section. I also like the location better, mid-beach, so if you want to leave the hotel, you can and get to experience the local flavor of the beach and it's people. That's my favorite part of JA- the people. I have stayed at the Couples in Ocho, it was nice, but I missed the beaches in Negril (and the shorter ride from the airport). Good luck and congratulations!

Chesney