Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Blue Waters (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/blue-waters-426713/)

belle1031 Apr 29th, 2004 08:10 AM

Blue Waters

Hello all!
I think we are going to book The Blue Waters for June. We love beachfront accomodations, the closer to the water the better. After researching many other properties n Antigua, Blue Waters seems closest to our budget and to the atmosphere we are looking for. Can you anyone help me with rooms to choose, things to do? Hows the pool? the beach? Places to go to have a few cocktail after the beachor after dinner. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks~

ejcrowe Apr 29th, 2004 09:21 AM

Blue Waters is a truly lovely property and I hope you will be pleased with it. I've never stayed there, as I have a favorite hotel elsewhere on the island, but I've visited and had lunch there one afternoon. (Thus, cannot help you in which rooms to choose, unless the fabulous Rock Cottage is within your budget, in which case I would recommend it.) The pool seemed to be a congenial spot, but the two beaches, though pretty, were both quite small. The atmosphere is one of simple sophistication, or to use a much-bandied phrase, casual elegance. The grounds are lush and well maintained, and as you go down the hill on the driveway to the heart of the resort, you definitely feel as if you're getting away from it all. It's from the bit of action available on the island, which is mostly in the St. John's and Dickenson Bay areas. There's a VERY good restaurant not far from Blue Waters called Le Bistro, it's one of the best restaurants on the island as far as I'm concerned. Other good ones to try include Chez Pascal, which is located on the Five Islands peninsula, and like Le Bistro, is mainly French and continental fare. For beachfront romance, Coconut Grove on Dickenson Bay is nicely situated. The food is good, but the atmosphere is what people come for there. I'm not sure if it will be open in June, but Harmony Hall would make a nice 1/2 day trip for you. It's on the east coast of the island and is a small restaurant & art gallery that provides patrons with a free boat ride just offshore for some good snorkeling. Feel free to ask more specific questions, and with luck somebody who has actually stayed at Blue Waters can help you out. :)

DF73 Apr 29th, 2004 09:45 AM

belle:
My husband and I are staying at Blue Waters in June. I found a detailed review on Blue Waters on TripAdvisor.com dated 3/22/04 (Philadelphia). Check it out if it's still listed. He advises for deluxe beachfront w/privacy choose the 600 or 700 block rooms. For close proximity to the beach with less privacy choose the 100-200-300 block rooms. The 400 and 500 block rooms are nice but if you have a ground level unit, people are constantly walking past your patio and looking in at you. He would recommend the second floor 400-500 block rooms for more privacy. Ground level 600 and 700 are not accessible to other guests and are completely private. Also, he 400-500-600- and 700 block rooms are the only units with sunset views. Avoid hillside 800 and 900 block rooms as they have no or limited water views. Another option is Rock Cottage, but it's cost prohibitive.

I have heard Blue Waters is nice, but the beaches are smaller, but adequate as they aren't crowded all the time. We tried Galley Bay as our first choice, but they were booked for 3 different weeks that we tried. We requested the 600-700 block as our first choice with the 400-500 block second choice, 2nd floor deluxe beachfront. Last year we went to Bermuda and had a first floor oceanfront with people walking past our room and we prefer more privacy.

Let me know how you come out.

belle1031 May 11th, 2004 11:14 AM

Thank you so much for your help! I think we are booking Blue Waters for Junne 16-22nd....Maybe we will see you there. I am going to request the 600-700 block.
any other points will be taken.
Any auggestions as to restaurants, beach bars for a happy hour or excursions?

monica1 May 12th, 2004 11:32 AM

Hello! I am leaving for Antigua in a few day's, 05-18-04. We can't wait! For the first part of our trip we are staying at The Inn at English Harbour and the second half we are meeting up with some friends at Blue Waters. We will be getting married there :) I also found the review that Belle is talking about and am anxious to see the rooms now that I have that insight. I'd love to tell you all about it once we are back 06-01-04. When are you going?

belle1031 May 12th, 2004 12:39 PM

Hi Monica,
Would please send me an email or post a review of your stay at Blue Waters. We are in the process of booking it for June 16th-the 22nd. I would love to hear all about it.....
Thanks!