blue mountain bike tour

Nov 23rd, 1999, 05:30 PM
Lisa

blue mountain bike tour

Does anyone have any information on the Blue MOuntain downhill 18 mile bike tour. We are in port of Ocho Rios on a monday in Deceber and this bike tour is not offered on our cruise line, I have seen this on the web offered by Safari tours, they will not book for us due to the fact that we are there on a Monday, whatever that has to do with anything I dont know, and we dont have 8 people in our group. I have seen another tour company that offers the bike ride down the mountain, but no info on times,prices,etc, and no email address. I dont want to telephone Ocho Rios. Can anyone help me out with information on this, a web address or first hand feedback would be great, Thanks Lisa

Nov 23rd, 1999, 07:53 PM
julie

Lisa:
My husband & I took this tour in Oct. 97, and booked it through the resort we stayed at (Sandals Dunns River). It took an entire day, the bus ride from the resort up into the mountains was a couple hours, i think. It was absolutely beautiful! You really have to dodge the potholes (they're huge and deep!) and there are no guard-rails along the road (shear drop-offs, most of the way). I believe it cost us approx. $75 US each, and it included the transportation, breakfast and lunch stops, bicycles, helmets, tour guides and a refreshing swim in a waterfall at the end (pack your swimsuits). We really got to see how the Jamaican people live, the school children walking to school are adorable, the scenery is breath-taking, and the world famous Blue Mountain coffee is CHEAP!! (and we don't drink coffee, but the smell of it in the air is heavenly). We would probably do it again if we go back to Jamaica. Of course, you must use common sense - these bikes are the old-fashioned kind, but if you take it easy, you'll have a wonderful time! Enjoy!

Nov 24th, 1999, 03:16 PM
Brian

I believe the tour you are looking for is Blue Mountain Tours, Ltd, which is run by Paul Lemoine. See the following website:

http://www.jamcon.com.jm/resorts/bluemtn/third.htm

I took this tour about 5 years ago. To add to what the previous person said, they pick you up at your hotel, and you stop for breakfast at a small restaurant in a coffee plantation. The dining area is on a large deck overlooking a lush valley. After breakfast, you continue through a rainforest to the top of a mountain. You may want to bring a jacket; once at the top, you will probably be in the clouds so it will be misty and at least 20F cooler. You will be given a bike and a helmet. One of the guides will go ahead to watch for oncoming traffic. When he sees a car coming, he will blow a whistle to warn the bikers. There is very little pedalling--you coast most of the way down. When you reach the restaurant where you had breakfast, you stop for lunch. Also on the way down, we stopped at a school where the children sang a song for us. At the time I did this ride, part of the ride fee was donated to the mountain schools to help with uniforms and supplies.

If you get the chance, I'd recommend this tour. The Blue Mountains are so different from the rest of Jamaica, it will seem like you're on a different island.

I hope this information helps.

Nov 25th, 1999, 08:26 PM
Lisa

Thanks Julie and Brian, your information was exceptionally helpful,Due to the time frame of this tour I think we will have to pass, the most time we wanted to spend doing this was 3 hours. And the cost was more than we anticipated too. Thanks Again, Lisa

Search this Thread