Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Blue Horizon Barbados or Casuarina Beach Club? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/blue-horizon-barbados-or-casuarina-beach-club-292419/)

anonx Feb 25th, 2003 01:34 PM

Blue Horizon Barbados or Casuarina Beach Club?

The cost of staying at Blue Horizon is significantly less than the Casuarina/Sea Breeze/Southern Palms for the time we are going (almost $100 less per night) for 1 bedroom. <BR><BR>I guess now I am concerned at what we may be giving up (if anything) to stay here versus the more costly Casuarina/Sea Breeeze/Southern Palms. Does anyone have any final words of wisdom for us before we book? <BR><BR> <BR><BR>So we are now looking at: <BR><BR>Dover Beach Hotel <BR><BR>Casuarina <BR><BR>Sea Breeze <BR><BR>Blue Horizon <BR><BR>Southern Palms <BR><BR>Of those 4 which do you think would be the best place for a young couple,on a beach, near the gap, easy access to transport?<BR><BR>Thanks <BR>

Lois Feb 25th, 2003 02:19 PM

Actually Blue Horizon is located at Rockely Beach -- not walking distance to the Gap. Most of the others you mention are at the Gap. I'd also check out Yellow Bird at the beginning of the Gap. That's a great beach right there (Sandy Beach)--our favorite. The are all relatively inexpensive properties, so I'd opt for location if that's important to you. Another good spot is Sandy Beach Island Resort -- right on Sandy Beach at the beginning of the Gap. They always have beach games going &amp; it's a wide stretch of beach there. There's a beach bar right there too &amp; you can walk right into the Gap.<BR><BR>Lois

anonx Feb 27th, 2003 02:22 PM

Lois,<BR>what is your impression of Blue Horizon? We are only going to be there for 4 days so we really just need a good base for exploring the island with clean,attractive,modern and comfortable accomodations.<BR><BR>Blue Horizon looks like a fun,funky place to stay that is close to all the action day and night.<BR><BR>My other considerations are Casuarina but somehow I am thinking older crowd and kids and too much walking to get to the Gap etc. and Sea Breeze which looks nice but not many reviews of this place!! How easy is it to get around from Sea Breeze is it worth the extra $$ when compared to Blue Horizon?<BR><BR>Help!!

Lois Feb 28th, 2003 04:19 AM

To easily get to The Gap (walking) you really need to check out something located there like Yellow Bird or Time Out at The Gap (all within The Gap).<BR><BR>Blue Horizon is not located within walking distance but about 2 miles away and you cannot walk easily on the road there. Sea Breeze is about 2 miles in the other direction from The Gap (again, not walkable). Blue Horizon is located close to several things, so if you are sticking with that as an option, I'd go with that. Lois

anonx Mar 1st, 2003 11:16 AM

Thanks Lois,<BR>we don't really want or need a hotel IN the Gap (it gets noisy at night) but close enough by car as we will be renting one and will not need to walk to The Gap which is why we considered Blue Horizon.<BR><BR>It is my impression that even without a car we could easily get to The Gap or most anywhere from Blue Horizon, am I wrong?<BR><BR>Most comments I have gotten though are steering me towards Casuarina, sounds lovely but we plan on not spending that much time at the hotel so extensive gardens and all that are not important, besides if we have to pay more to stay at Casuarina and still not have a stunning, unobstructed view of the ocean (the views are blocked by trees!!)then I rather go with Sea Breeze which looks great from the website and sounds great from the reviews I have read.<BR><BR>Choosing a hotel sight unseen (pics on a website cannot alwasy be trusted I have learnt) is tough!

Lois Mar 4th, 2003 11:38 AM

You'd proably do fine at Blue Horizon from the way you are describing what you are looking for. As it is only a couple of miles from it to the Gap area it is easy to get to, but they probably mean by taxi (which would not cost much at all). They have private taxis and also &quot;Route Taxi's&quot; (a van-type vehical) that hold several people &amp; they stop all along a certain route. I would not advise walking. <BR><BR>As I said earlier, Sea Breeze is 2 miles past the Gap in the other direction and the same means of transportation is available from it to that area. Also, you'd be closer to Bridgetown &amp; there is more nightlife (bars/music) as you approach Bridgetown &amp; also in Bridgetown itself.<BR><BR>Lois