Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Blamona, The Palms for Somerset (Turks and caicos)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
The plams seem nice enough for my husband and I BUT we wanted your input regarding the SOMERSET. We read your reviews. The plams has some nice packages offering. I received an email back from the Somerset Frontdesk Mgr and they have a package for 5 nights staying at the 1 BEDROOM ENGLISH COTTAGE SUITE- 1182 SQ FEET FOR $2457.00 (include continental Breakfast, one couple massage, roundtrip transfer, one dinner on the beach & room taxes). OR should we just book the "ONE BEDROOM LOOKOUT Garden view ROOM- 300 sq feet ($360) per night. Do you think we should chose Somerset over The Palms? Of course Somerset is more expensive. Which resort has the prettier grounds? we will not rent a car, therefore we will need a taxi to get around. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I'm here!
The Somerset was not fully operational when I was there, still construction going on. But I can tell you I absolutely LOVED it. The english cottages weren't finished yet, but I peeked in and the looked nice. They do not have a beach view, but of this (in my mind because they told me, but not done yet at the time) trelis and fountain and croquet lawn. Still gorgeous. The restaurant was not done yet either, so can't comment. The Palms has a gorgeous pool. and beautiful rooms, but I like Somerset just a little more. They are right next door to each other. I think the massage you get at Somerset is actually at the Palms, which is out of this world!
I've stayed at both, and I could stay at both, but my personal leaning towards Somerset. They treated me like a queen! I would do the English Cottage special, just the massage is probably in the $350-$400 range for a couple, and dinner is probably in the $150 range.
The difference for me, is Somerset made me feel more welcome, more at home. I was fine at Palms, just a different atmosphere.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:26 AM

you can view pictures of the rooms at had by copy and paste:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...amp;interval=3

Click resume to see the slideshow, everything is labeled.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM

those pics are gorgeous!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Blamona,

Thank you. I know this is all personal preference, if you have to choose between FS Exuma or Palms/Somerset, which Island would you choose? I read that FS food is getting much better in Exuma. Do you think FS grounds are prettier than Palm and Somerset grounds?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM

clear, you can't really go wrong with either, BUT
If I had to choose, I would choose Somerset. Grace Bay is gorgeous, plus you're in the middle of lots of options, for excursions, restaurants, etc. Grace Bay is one of the best beaches in the world. Some of the best restaurants in Caribbean are in TCI.
FS Exumas is gorgeous, and has a beautiful golf course. It is very isolated though, 1/2 hour to town, and the "hub" of Exumas. Beautiful grounds, pool and resort. Lots of kids. My problem with this is you miss the best part of Exumas. From Club Peace and Plenty, water taxi to Stocking Island which is gorgeous. Sunday Pig Roasts at Stocking at Chat N Chill which is very cool. Boat rentals with Starfish so you can hop around the Cays. Each cay has a gorgeous beach all to yourself. Then you also don't get to meet locals, like JayJay the bonefisherman, or Captain Lewes that takes you to Long Island. Or renting a car to see Tropic of Cancer Beach, a true stunner. While not luxury, makes up in charm. Don't get me wrong, FS is stunning, and I would go again in a heartbeat.
I probably didn't help much, because I trully love them both.