Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   BLAMONA, ADVICE (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/blamona-advice-831489/)

jonie Mar 17th, 2010 08:23 PM

BLAMONA, ADVICE

Blamona, you seem to have been to the Bahamas, Anguilla, and the Turks and Caicos.
I want to swim in the most turquoise blue water, with beautiful beaches. Which place would
be your pick? I do not care about fancy restaraunts, shopping, or night life. I'm happy with simple produce to eat, and simple accomodations. I just want to swim, and great snorkeling is a plus but not a must. If you think of anywhere else besides
these, could you please let me know? Thanks for your help!!

blamona Mar 18th, 2010 04:51 AM

All 3 are excellent choices, but of the 3, T&C has the best snorkeling. Anguilla doesn't have good snorkeling, and Bahamas has islands with decent snorkeling to no snorkeling.

The best beaches in Bahamas are at the Out Islands, especially Exumas and San Salvador. Actually San Salvador has excellent snorkeling. Only problem is your choice is only Club Med to stay, and you have to stay 7 nights. The food is excellent, and the beach is to die for!

Exumas has stunning strands. Some of the prettiest turquoise you'll lay eyes on. But the hotels are not on the best beaches, you have to explore. Small places, such as Palm Bay Beach Club, do offer free water taxi (5 minutes) to the stunning beaches of stocking island. You can also check out Club Peace N Plenty.

Eleuthera has decent snorkeling, gorgeous beaches, but I do find the beaches of Exumas to be slightly better. I would check out Pineapple Fields. You can also combine Eleuthera with Harbour Island, which has Pink Sands Beach-one of the most beautiful in the world. (Many model photo shoots here) I would check out Valentines. A great vacation would be to split Eleuthera with HI.

Abacos has pretty beaches, the one at Treasure Cay is stunning. These are more sailing grounds, not very good snorkeling. Great Guana Cay has Nippers, which is a lot of fun, and Elbow Cay is quant and pretty. Exploring the different cays is by boat. I would check out Dolphin Resort.

Anguilla has some of the best beaches in the world. They are stunning. It also has the best restaurants in the Caribbean. It's an upscale expensive island. GORGEOUS. Not very good snorkeling. It has easy access to day trip to St. Martin, which is completely different. So you get different things for your money. I would check out Ku, Frangiapani, or Cuisinart.

T&C has the best beaches of them all-but they are lined up "American" style as some on this forum would say. Even with that, it's never crowded, and there's not a bad place to stay. For the money, the resorts and hotels are the nicest. It's more upscale and more expensive than Out Islands. I would check out Sibonne for budget, Sands for mid-range, or West Bay Club, Turks and Caicos Club or The Somerset.

jonie Mar 18th, 2010 07:09 AM

Blamona,
You are too kind with all the thought you put into your
responses. Thank you so much!

Caribzack Mar 18th, 2010 07:18 AM

Pick up Blamona's book - Fodor's in Focus- Turks & Caicos
and head there...you will love it. We have been to Anguilla & Bahamas and Turks is the only one we keep going back to, "if it ain't broken...."

blamona Mar 18th, 2010 02:55 PM

Caribzack-I just recently wrote San Salvador chapter for the Fodor's Bahamas too!

8-)

Caribzack Mar 18th, 2010 03:07 PM

Cool Blamona ...will check it out!!

mamamia66 Mar 19th, 2010 06:10 AM

Blamona, I didn't realize you wrote the Fodors book on T&C. Just ordered a copy since we leave in 3 weeks!

blamona Mar 19th, 2010 06:51 AM

mamamia, tell me what you think and what your opinions are when you return!

mamamia66 Mar 19th, 2010 09:46 AM

Blamona...would be my pleasure! Lucky you...you have my dream job!