Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > BITTER END YACHT CLUB-HOW TO GET DISCOUNTS OR A CHEAPER IMITATION

BITTER END YACHT CLUB-HOW TO GET DISCOUNTS OR A CHEAPER IMITATION

May 16th, 2002, 10:03 AM
trudie

BITTER END YACHT CLUB-HOW TO GET DISCOUNTS OR A CHEAPER IMITATION

I would love this place for July with two adults, two teens...the prices are steep! *$2500 per person for five days plus airfare -- Anyone had luck with deep discounting in this season or can you suggest an equivalent less expensive elsewhere..thanks!!!

May 16th, 2002, 11:22 AM
jimmie

topping...we are also looking for a fun, lively place with lots of sports for two teens and two adults in July...investiged Little Dix and think it seems to quiet for teenagers...any other suggestions...what about Jamaica...

May 16th, 2002, 11:27 AM
dhy766

We are looking for something for July, too, and considering St. Johns. Any recommendations Fodorites, it can't be dead at night or my two kids, ages 13 and 15, will kill us!

May 16th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Patty

If you find discounts for BEYC, could you let me know?

May 16th, 2002, 11:35 AM
joan

dhy,
I just got back from two weeks on St John (no s). What kinds of activities are your kids going to be looking for in the evening? I'd be happy to help but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

May 16th, 2002, 11:47 AM
dhy766

Joan,
The thing is, tough age. They can watch videos, etc. at home. I guess the most important thing is having other kids that age around, and maybe some live music, ie. not just honeymooners and tiny tots but other family groups. Your input appreciated!

May 16th, 2002, 12:05 PM
joan

dhy,
I agree it's a very tough age. On St John, I would have to say that the Westin is probably your best bet. But St John is a quiet island and that's part of the attraction. My son at 17 is finally at an age where he appreciates it a little more.
At the Westin there will be lots of other families, hopefully the kids will hook up in the daytime and then hang out in the evenings together. The Westin has a great pool area and the beach though man made has an amazing trampoline IN the water. The kids really enjoy it.
Cruz Bay (the only town on the island) is quiet at night. There are a few bars (which I'm sure is not what you're looking for for a 13 and 15 year old)and a couple of places with live music but it is limited.
St John is really more of a "daytime" island. The outdoor activities, hiking, snorkeling, sailing etc tend to make for early nights.
Don't want to discourage you, my 17 year old and I adore St John but I also don't want to set you up to have two unhappy kids on your hands on vacation!
Good luck.

May 16th, 2002, 02:43 PM
trudie

Topping but also writing about the comments below on St. John. I have been following the saga here on the Westin St. John and the nightmare that someone had there recently. Of course she only paid $75 per night and honestly I would think anything like that was too good to be true. What do you think about Little Dix...is it deadly at night, I loved the idea of the Westin but am turned off by the other poster. Thx!

May 17th, 2002, 07:55 AM
ds

Trudie,
I don't think there is an equivalent resort at any price! Price is steep, but they did run a summer special with $500 off earlier this year. You could call them and see if it is still available. Also, you and your husband will pay the full fare, but i believe the kids will get a substantial break. Good luck.

May 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Lv2trvl

Not familiar with any alternatives to BEYC that provide the level of activity that they do with the sailing for less. You might think about doing a bareboat charter or charter with captain/mate so that you get the instruction with the sailing and other activities - snorkling, swimming, good eating (and it has to be better than BEYC's cuisine!). You could charter out of the USVI or Tortola and spend a lot less.

May 18th, 2002, 08:05 AM
jackie

Try checking out luxury link. Bitter End is not at auction, but Little Dix Bay and Peter Island are and they seem to have great rates listed. I have not used the site, but next time I will!

May 18th, 2002, 11:16 AM
patty

According to tripadvisor.com the following websites have specials for beyc...www.travelocity.com (and aavacations.com)...www.expedia.com....www.trip.com ...www.orbitz.com
You may also want to try www.vacmart.com which discounts aavacations.com deals. IF you are open to other suggestions, try www.travelzoo.com or www.travelfleamarket.com for listings of available discount vacations packages. Personally, I have booked with orbitz and travelocity with no problems.

hope this helps

May 19th, 2002, 11:26 AM
patty

Beyc has 2 specials for the summer. One is a Special Family Package. You must contact them via their website at www.beyc.com or call 1-877-678-9330.

Here the info for the Special Family Package: two rooms for one low price for a family of four (two adults and two children, ages 18 and under).

And, for a limited time, with an Admiral's Package, a child 5 years old or younger -sharing a room with their parent (or the second room of a Admiral's Family Package with their siblings) can stay for free. (maximum room capacity is 4 guests.

net surfer for deals

Search this Thread