Reload this Page >

Biras rooms and other questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 10:04 AM
Lara

I was wondering about the garden rooms versus the oceanview rooms at Biras Creek. <BR>Other then the view, what are the main differences between the rooms? I am trying to determine whether the oceanview rooms are worth the extra cost. <BR> <BR>Also, are there any "hidden charges" at Biras? For instance, I would be interested in lessons with their tennis pro--is this included as it would be with most other all-inclusive resorts? What is not included in their pricing? <BR> <BR>Thanks for any help! <BR> <BR>--Lara

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 10:05 AM
Lara

Sorry about the multiple posts--the server was freaking out on me.

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 11:19 AM
Kathy

Lara <BR>My husband and I are going to Biras for the first time in Feb. They have a website at www.biras.com. I don't think they have tennis lessons, although they do have 2 lighted courts and rackets for you to use if you wish. <BR>The garden and oceanfront rooms look exactly alike-there is a diagram on the sight. It looks like a wonderful place to me and all the reviews I've read are great. Take a look at www.scubamom.com for some great info & pictures. <BR>We are counting the days...

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 04:54 PM
Joel

Lara, my wife and I were there in May for a week. I stayed in an Ocean View room and took plenty of time to thoroughly check out the garden rooms. I would choose a garden room if I went to Biras again. I found that they all, save one, had a view of Bercher's Bay, filtered by the sea grape trees. The garden rooms also benefited from very nice shade whereas the ocean view rooms did not offer shade over their terraces so you couldn't get out of the sun----a real problem with the Caribbean sun. <BR>Even if they were the same price, I would go garden room if I were to return. <BR>Never saw anything about tennis lessons, but I didn't look either. <BR>Feel free to e-mail me for further info. <BR>Joel

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 04:59 PM
Joel

Oh, yeah, you also asked about their pricing. To my mind, they did not nit-pick you to death. Some things like a sunset sail cruise, a snorkeling trip, their beach equipment, etc., were all-inclusive, but events that I would consider "above and beyond" were extra: longer cruises, massage, no doubt tennis lessons (if they exist), wine with meals, the bar, souvenirs. <BR>I have no complaint about how they differentiated free from add-on. <BR>JD <BR>

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 06:52 PM
Alby

The rooms, their terraces, the features in the rooms, etc., are identical as near as I could tell. The garden rooms feature moderate to heavy shade and much more of a feeling of privacy and seclusion. <BR>You will not be able to work on your tan on the terrace, though. But, for sunbathing, there is the beach, not 100 feet in front of your room, a large pool with comfy chaise longues a few minutes walk, and, of course, the marvelously perfect beach at Deep Bay. <BR>I agree with one of the others who posted here, that if you take an ocean suite, you can't get away from the sun. I would also note that the ocean view is nothing special: you gaze out into an open bay at a featureless horizon. It all comes down to sun or shade, Michele; which do you want all the time?

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 10:49 AM
Brian

Are the prices for alcohol outrageous at Biras Creek? Once there, about how much cash should I have handy? Any high dollar items I will charge.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 02:41 PM
jeff Burke

The management has much to learn at biras creek. They are mostly concerned with the bottom line and will try to nickle and dime you to death. The rooms are little doubty.....Overall I don't think the experience is worth the money....go to little dix. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 05:11 PM
Joel

In a way I agree with Jeff; i.e., I felt it was expensive for what I got, but I must add that it was the isolation of Biras that tempered my enjoyment, not the price. The "goods" that Biras delivers are carefully and expertly priced, I would say. But I'm glad that finally someone agrees with me that the rooms weren't all that great... a bit crowded I thought, especially after spending time at Frenchman's Cay which gives you triple the space for less, but without some of the other amenities of Biras. But I can't agree that I was nitpicked with extra charges. As to a management that is bottom-line oriented... if they want to stay on as management they'd better be, but I get Jeff's point.

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 11:54 AM
Karen

I am surprised to see the recommendation to go to Little Dix and am wondering if the poster ever saw or stayed in the rooms at there? I found that the rooms at Biras were more spacious but naturally not as spacious as Frenchman's Cay or any other "villa" property. I did not like the bike riding with the beach far from the rooms but the Boston Whalers and other amenities made up for it. Unfortunately many people go with the impression that it is "all-inclusive" which it is not. They offer a rate that includes a meals or special "packages." Alcohol and a lot of the other activities included in a traditional all-inclusive are charged for except at the traditional manager's welcome, cocktail party, whatever they choose to call it. I, personally, would never stay other than beachfront but that is me! Just watching that water and the horizon is just about the most relaxing thing you can do anywhere ... besides if the whales are migrating, that's a real bonus!

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 05:23 PM
joel

Karen may be right about gazing at the horizon, but I spent 9 years in the navy staring at the horizon, so I have my own peculiar view on that subject.

Old Nov 6th, 1999, 06:33 PM
Karen

You certainly would have a different perspective! &lt;big smile&gt; However, having spent years living on the beachfront, I just never tire of it!! On a Navy ship, I just might feel a little differently (in many ways especially since my "sea legs" are not so steady anymore)!!! &lt;l

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 09:24 AM
pat

Jeff <BR>My husband and I have plans to go to Little Dix in March, but scubamom.com's review left me wondering if Biras would be a better choice.

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 12:38 PM
Kyle

I would heed both Joel and Karen's advice, both have first hand knowledge and supplied me with consistent, descriptive portrayals of Biras. (with the exception of the rooms, which I am still confused about) I have signed on to go to Biras for my honeymoon in July, and a I feel very comfortable with my decision on the basis of scubamom's report and Karen and Joel's advice. I think given it's reputation for spectacular grounds, attentive staff, and world class cuisine it is a great bargin even w/o free booze. Little Dix is far more expensive, and offers essentially the same amenities. My fiance and I are going for 8 days, with all meals included, for $3100. That's tough to beat. Check out antilia.com for great pictures/info on BVI.