Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Biras Creek vs. Peters Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/biras-creek-vs-peters-island-305284/)

Parkersc Feb 15th, 2008 09:36 AM

Biras Creek vs. Peters Island

Thrilled about my first trip to the BVI for romantic getaway in May! Decided to split up the trip by staying at Guana Island for 3 days/nights and then experienceing another BVI resort for remaining three days. Very torn between Biras (Ocean Suite room) vs Peter's Island (Beachfront Jr. Suite) I've read scubamoms wonderful reviews and she raves about them all - probably can't go wrong but hoping that a traveler who's been to both could help 'tip' the scale.

LilRicky Feb 16th, 2008 04:42 AM

I've been to Biras Creek (last year) and Guana (just got back last night). Each is superb, and different from the other. Why not choose just one? That way, you'll be able to really unwind.

ScubaMom's reviews are accurate reflections of each place, so you can use them to inform your decision.

Note that Biras has private seating at each meal; Guana is with "the group" ( a little clubby among the many repeat guests) unless you ask to be seated alone. Next time, this is what I'll do, as the clubby chit-chat got to be a bit much... I don't like to talk about where I'm from, what I do for a living, whether I've been to Cap d'Antibes or not, when I'm on vacation. I want to be left alone!

poss Feb 16th, 2008 10:20 AM

I think that Biras and PI are quite different from each other. We stayed at PI for the first time this past December, and we've visited (not stayed at) Biras several times over the decades. Though we think the walking trails and the food and the views at Biras are wonderful, we're not interested in staying there since we love great beaches and snorkeling. We thought the Biras beach was unhandsome and there's no on-site snorkeling at all; one has to take a dinghy out (which we're not interested in doing), or sign up for a "guided" snorkel by boat. We were pleased with Peter Island, though it's got drawbacks also. I believe I posted some sort of review about Peter Island when we returned. If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to try to reply to them.
Btw, if you're at Biras, you can explore all of Virgin Gorda (including, of course, the Baths), a very handsome island. On PI, there's less exploring to do, but still plenty for several days (and they do a trip over to VG).
(We've never been to Guana-- didn't think we'd enjoy the "clubiness" aspect.)

Parkersc Feb 19th, 2008 08:56 AM

Thanks LilRicky and poss -- appreciate your feedback. In response to LilRicky, thought about chosing one resort to really unwind over the six days -- but I'm kind of intrigued with the differences in the islands (a little variety may be exciting for my girlfriend's first Caribbean trip). Guana looks truly unique and spectacular -- I've been told that once you step foot on the island, you experience an overwhelming/transporting feeling of tranquility. I also love that Guana sounds so exotic, a natural paradise, incl panoramic views from rooms perched above the ocean (also appealing.. exploring the islands beautiful trails, beaches, sailing/kayaking, wildlife, snorkling, etc.) -- and of course, being left mostly alone... to just be together and mix your own tropical coctail! I will make sure to be prepared to socialize and try to breakthrough the 'clubiness', while mixing it up with romantic dinners on our own. Perhaps, one night dining away after a day sailing excursion may mix it up (maybe even to Biras?). In terms of PI, I was drawn by the room being set on a beautiful beach, some of the amenities being a bit more exquisite (incredible spa, wonderful restaurant, a 'slightly' more lively environment) -- while maintaining the romance/charm of a private island. While Biras's rooms beside the Atlantic (crashing waves at night), novelty of outdoor shower, ability to explore with Boston Whaler and beautiful restaurant are tempting), I think I may still lean toward Peter Island's more handsome room location (Deadman's beach), variety and beauty of remote beaches, on-site snorkling and friendliness that the island appears to offer. Biras also seems to be more similar to Guana than PI?? ... As long as PI offers similar luxury/romance/beauty of Biras, think I may have made my choice!

ejcrowe Feb 19th, 2008 06:13 PM

LilRicky, I'd love to read a trip report about your recent stay at Guana. I honeymooned there in 2003 and will be returning in April for a 5th anniversary trip. Which cottage did you stay in, where was it located, and would you request that location again?

When we were there in 2003 it was in June and all of the guests were couples, mostly honeymooners, and there were few enough of us that we always were seated at tables for two. This suited us just fine for our honeymoon, but I enjoyed the company of most of the guests there enough that I wouldn't have at all minded the group seating for a few nights.

Parkersc, your description in your last post really captures the spirit of Guana--very impressive for someone who hasn't been there yet! You've grasped it essence, so there's no doubt in my mind that you'll have a fabulous time. It offers a different type of luxury--one of space, privacy, of nature.

LilRicky Feb 20th, 2008 03:11 AM

I'll be happy to write a report when I have a bit more time. After such a relaxing trip, I had to hit the ground running this week!

Parkersc Feb 20th, 2008 08:41 AM

Thanks ejcrowe, sometimes researching the trip almost feels like you've been there! Can't wait for Guana and looking forward to LilRickys report (after your back in the swing of civilization).

speaking of research -- I did go on to read on a few other reviews that a drawback of Peter Island is the 'day trippers' encouraged to come visit the island (and in others that it feels like a larger resort, more family oriented) -- just wanted to see if anyone else felt this way (if it really took away from the charm of the island and feeling of privacy/romance?) want to make sure the fun atmosphere doesn't feel 'cruise ship' and a culture shock after Guana)... only thing that might again tip the scales back to Biras. The tie breaker for me still remains PI's room directly on a gorgeous sandy beach vs. ocean suite room on the Atlantic side at Biras (doesn't seem as desirable?) -- any comment on Beachfront room at PI would also be helpful. also, any comment on ease of getting to/beauty of remote beaches at PI (vs Biras advantage of the freedom with Boston Whalers)? dining from what I've read seems somewhat comparable, although PI's dining room setting may not be as idealic as Biras and at times more 'buffet' than a fine dining experience?

poss Feb 20th, 2008 01:12 PM

Parkersc: Have you read my posting on Peter Island? You can find it under my name, under the odd title of "Peter Island is not our cup of tea." I say odd because, on fact, we thought Peter Island was pretty terrific-- just not our cup of tea. :-)
From everything you say, I suspect that you'd absolutely adore Peter Island.
I, too, had read about the day trippers and had been concerned. Not to worry! If there were any such animals, they were scarcely in evidence at all. Second, PI was definitely NOT family oriented. We saw not one single youngster the 5 days we were there. Nothing whatsoever like a cruise shop atmosphere.
The ocean front rooms are great-- considerably better than anything I saw at Biras (I didn't see every room.) The bathroom is terrific-- marvelous, large jacuzzi tub and shower. Plenty of room. Handsome furnishings. I think you'll be wowed by the rooms.
Very easy to get to the other PI beaches-- jitney service (golf cart type thing) at your beck and call-- all very very friendly and accommodating. Also, there's a good marina there: they do a number of different trips to other islands, not just other beaches.
As for buffet dining: I think we had it once in our whole 5 days. (We dislike buffets.) Wait'll you have the breakfasts at PI: !!!!!

Parkersc Feb 21st, 2008 05:15 PM

Done, done and done. Thanks poss -- that was the perfect response to my questions and concerns! Hugely appreciated :)