Search

Biras Creek or Maroma?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biras Creek or Maroma?

We have a few days coming up very soon (early July).
Flying from the West Coast.
Does anyone have experience with both resorts?
We'd probably add a few days in St. Barths to the BVI.
A few days at Villa Rolandi to Maroma.
Whew! Such decisions!
Is the weather generally better one place than the other?
TIA!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:57 AM

We were sidetracked to Maroma when hurricane winds sent us packing from Anguilla. Unfortunately our experience was not stellar as our "oceanview room" was oceanview only when you stood just so and turned and tilted your head - then you could catch a glimpse of the ocean meeting the sky. This was a few years ago and they did say that there was a plan to re-catagorize the rooms. The rooms were lovely, the water a bit rough and convenient to Playa for dining out - altho a bit of a drive but not bad. Some staff was welcoming and warm especially the 'locals' but others aloof. If I had realized that the room was not on the water and in the back next to the septic system (which seemed to be having problems at the time - everything worked in the room, it was the smell!) I would have opted not to go there. Other accomodations might have left me happier and satisfied. And we might have planned to stay too long rather than a few days and moving on so your plan sounds better than what we did. But I loved the area - went to ChickenItza (charter plane), Tulum, Cozamel, Playa and explored some of the little nearby towns. Would love to return but I would not stay at Maroma. I really was quite put off by the attitude of some and the "oceanview" price with no view other than the lovely garden and pool but because we were on the 3rd floor, rather than the first, it made it oceanview. Food was okay - don't recall it as outstanding. - breakfast and lunch were generous and very good and we did eat out many nites (driving to Playa) so it is hard to recall - but I do remember some of the excellent meals in Playa. In our particular room there was no chair to sit on comfortably to read so I dragged one of the chairs in from the porch when they couldn't seem to find a chair other than a desk chair!
I do really love Virgin Gorda and Biras Creek is sublime! Food excellent, accomodations roomy and very comfortable. Out-door shower. Staff very accomodating and pleasant. The biggest disadvantage is that the rooms are not on a swimming beach - bikes or rides in golf cart provided - unlike Maroma where there was a luscious long beach with dining, etc right on it. Love the easy accessibility of sailing/charters to nearby islands and the complimentary Boston whalers to putt about North Sound. Don't recall how often they did lunch "grill" at the beach bar but it was a couple of times a week - maybe more now.
Am sure you will enjoy ... and yes, "early July is very soon" ... very very soon!
Any since you are flying from the Left Coast, you would definitely spend less of your time traveling going to Maroma. You'll fly into STT and ferry to VG? or make SJU your hub going from there to St. Barths and the BVI? There are direct flights between SXM and STT on Liat without going thru SJU.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Wow!
Thanks so much beachplum!
I couldn't have asked for a better person to answer my question!
I work in the travel industry. No discount on the air, tho.
We'd been thinking Europe, where I do get an air discount, but changed my mind.
I'd fly SF to SJU via FLL then onto Tortola. Price is pretty good for the last minute!
I visited Maroma the first year it opened for one night, but it was very different then.
I don't mind walking to the Biras beach (I think!), but how is it when you get there? Is there beach service?
The boating aspect looks like fun. Only the weather that always concerns me!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Tony Blair liked Maroma - if that counts!! Anyhow ...
Early July is not usually a problem in the BVI's since the later Cape Verde season is when that part of the Carib comes into play with the possibility of really foul weather. It can be squally and rainy off and on but more likely just humid and hot! I've not done the Carib in the summer. Don't remember beach service but there was a bar at the beach with ice and water available even when it wasn't open if I remember correctly but I always travel with a little cooler and keep it next to me on a beach even if it is for keeping the drinks cooler than sitting 'em in the sun. I was there in March just as a "tourist" and lunch and they've done some very nice upgrades - including a spa.
The walk to the beach is about 3/4 of a mile, if I remember! I golf carted it in March and that was nice for an old lady with a bad knee!
Why not Air Sunshine right to VIJ from SJU rather than EIS and transferring? You get a tour of Virgin Gorda that way! Are you still going to St. Bart's? Could do VIJ, STT, SXM and then on to SBH and fly home from SXM - but you loose so much time if the schedules don't fit and I think Liat is down to one flight to SXM from STT early in the am!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Air Sunshine didn't have any morning flights available into VIJ. We're already overnighting in SJU and I don't want to delay the rest of the trip. Last time we spent a few nights at EL Convento so we've done that.
The beach cooler is a great idea!
Did I read that the hotel allows you to use a voucher and eat at the less expensive Fat Virgin?
Thanks for all your help with this!
Yes, I think we'll continue with the St. Barths portion of the trip. It appears Winair flies EIS-SXM-SBH with relative ease (for Winair!). There is a villa we like a lot that's available. It's on a hillside with wonderful ocean views and breezes.
But I do love to see/do something different each trip!
Next year I will take my daughter back to Hawaii with her boyfriend so he can see where she spent most of her vacations!