Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Biras Creek (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/biras-creek-255414/)

Bill Sep 3rd, 2002 05:13 AM

Biras Creek

Thinking about going to Biras Creek in November for our anniversary. Has anyone had any RECENT experiences that would help make my decision easier? Thank you in advance for your help.

Kathleen Sep 3rd, 2002 06:12 AM

We were there in November and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Cannot express enough. We had the Week of Enchantment. All meals are included, beach Bar-b-Que, all water sports (hobie, kayak, and a Boston Whaler for your use whenever you want - for use in the immediate area they give you a parameter map) The Whaler is great for visiting Saba Rock and bitter end and for snorkeling trips, no charge for that equiptment either. If you give them a day's notice they will pack a gourmet lunch for you to take on your whaler and you can explore the empty beaches. The cottages are beautiful, we stayed in the grand suite, it is on the end and very private, but they are all private as there are only 30 cottages garden and ocean. The view from the balcony is the best and the sound of the ocean puts you to sleep at night. It is also very very safe, there are no room keys, no checking in, you are warmly greeted and brought to your cottage. At first we were a bit confused, coming from NY, no room key??? But after a day you understand that they are not needed. you can leave anything out and it will not be touched, they do have room safes if you feel so inclined. The food is top notch, every meal is superb, its like dining in a five star restaurant every meal. If you like wine, it gets even better! The service is great, housekeeping 2x a day and fresh flowers in your room everywhere. Mini fridge fully stocked and refilled. Michael the manager and his wife are lovely and greet you at the dock upon arrival and hugs and tears upon departure. They make you feel like you are visiting their home. I cannot recommend Biras Creek highly enough. If I had to sum Biras Creek in a few words I would call it Understated Elegance, the beauty of Biras will stay with you long after you come home. Hope this was helpful to you, if you do not know their website it is Biras.com - Enjoy!

m Sep 3rd, 2002 06:28 AM

kathleen, are drinks (e.g., wine)during meals included in the 'week of enchantment package'? is the mini-bar included? thanks

Kathleen Sep 3rd, 2002 07:14 AM

Hi!<BR>No drinks are not included. There is a bottle of Moet waiting for you in the mini fridge - no charge. The wine selection is mind blowing but we had a bottle of Louis LaTour (sp?) every night with dinner. That wine is inexpensive home (NY) but inexpensive there and we loved it. The drinks do not cost as much as they do at home, but we found that we drink more at home than we do on vacation. Daily we had a frozen drink at the beach bar - you can sit at the bar or raise your flag from your beach "hut" and a waiter will be right there to take your order. But mostly we drank water during the day and it was delivered daily to our room's mini fridge (perrier if you like). We would have a late afternoon cocktail and a bottle of wine with dinner. I do not remember the exact cost of our bar tab, but it was not a lot. Also there is a weekly cocktail party, no charge for drinks. And included in the Week of Enchantemnt is a sunset cruise. They serve rum punch and take you around the island and wait for the most beautiful sunset you will ever see. It is not a "booze cruise" by any means, its a peaceful time with great conversation with lovely interesting people - the other guests at Biras. There is also a coffee and tea maker in your room so you can have an early cup and watch the sunrise from your balcony. And every day at 4:00 is Tea time, sandwiches, scones, fruit. If you have anymore questions do not hesitate to ask me!!!

Kathleen Sep 3rd, 2002 07:20 AM

Hi, <BR>Sorry I meant to say that Louis Latour is EXPENSIVE home but INEXPENSIVE at Biras. Gotta take more typing lessons!!

delegator Sep 3rd, 2002 02:01 PM

Kathleen, could you give me some details on the dress code? They say "Collared Shirts." Do they mean polos (i.e. knit shirts with collars) or do they have to be button up the front shirts (oxfords or short sleeved oxfords, the latter of which I hate!)?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Kathleen Sep 3rd, 2002 02:42 PM

Hi,<BR>Men wear resort casual meaning no shorts at dinner and collored shirts, polo knit short sleeve, the kind you like. I did not see anyone wearing cotton oxford shirts. You can wear shorts and a t shirt to lunch and women must wear a bathing suit cover up (full cover not just bottom if you are dining in the dining room) For women it is pants or a dress (casual), wear comfortable shoes, heels are not necessary because of the walk to the dining room, flats and/or flat sandals are perfect! They just do not want anyone showing up for dinner "too casual". Its is very laid back, and I also did not see anyone dressed too flashy meaning no outward show of wealth. No gaudy jewelery or flash overly dressed over made up women. Hope this helps!

m Sep 3rd, 2002 04:27 PM

thanks!

joan Sep 10th, 2002 05:48 AM

How does Biras Creek compare with Little Dix Bay?<BR><BR>thanks

briget Sep 10th, 2002 09:24 AM

Not to be nosy, but I need to know. How expensive was your trip, including airfare and all?

Kathleen Sep 10th, 2002 10:19 AM

Hi, <BR><BR>Including all it was approx $10,000<BR>(resort, tax, airfare for 2 adults from JFK, and spending money)give or take a few hundred dollars.<BR><BR>I don't know how it compares to Little Dix Bay, since I've never been to LDB. I have read that the food and wine at Biras is far superior and the resort is smaller and more intimate. I researched both and decided on Biras. When we were there we did see the location of LDB and we were glad we chose Biras for its secluded location. Both are luxury resorts, we just preferred Biras.

Beth Sep 10th, 2002 01:08 PM

WHOA! Kathleen, I appreciate your honesty about the price but would you say that it was a special occasion vacation or is this average for what you pay. (I could take two really nice trips for that).

Kathie Sep 10th, 2002 02:22 PM

Hi Beth,<BR><BR>We stayed in a Grand Suite which is $4950.00 for the week. That price of $10,000 also includes airfare, tax, spending money and we a stretch limo to and from the airport (makes it more fun!!).Our situation is not the norm - we always pay cash for all our vacations, no credit card debt ever. We book thru a travel agent -Always- and pay in full with a check. We pay for everything when at our destination with a master card debit card so you cannot spend what you do not have. I also have to say that we do not have any children or outstanding debts. My husband and I both work and we love to travel nicely. We take 2 large vacations a year. This year our second is Cap Juluca! Can't wait, a little nervous about flying though.<BR>

Kathleen Sep 10th, 2002 05:12 PM

Hi Beth the above post is me, Kathleen so used to spelling Kathie. Sorry

Undecided Sep 10th, 2002 09:15 PM

Considering Peter Island vs. Biras - Pros/cons???? Can I bring my cellared wine favorites (is there a corkage?) Both locations sound fabulous...same as Cap Juluca.........How would you all rate them?

Nancy Sep 11th, 2002 04:44 PM

To Kathleen,<BR><BR>Can you tell me about the use of bicycles at Biras Creek. I read somewhere that the beach is not right at the property and you have to bike to it. Is this true? <BR><BR>By the way, we were at Cap Juluca in July. You will love it. There are also no room keys. If you like the sound of the ocean definitely ask for a Villa at the west end. They are closer to the water. Enjoy!

Kathleen Sep 11th, 2002 07:06 PM

Yes it's true, but its not far just an easy bike ride thru beautiful flower lined wide path. believe me it's nothing challenging, all flat! It's quite plesant and not far at all - I do not know the distance but time wise its 1 minute or less to a beautiful full service, clean calm beach. It's almost lagoon like. We loved the bikes, everyone else seemed to as well. since there are no cars its very safe. I think there is a picture of a couple on their bikes on the Biras web site - anyway it's great fun, and it's also an excuse to indulge in those delicious desserts!

Kathleen Sep 11th, 2002 07:14 PM

Oh, I forgot to tell you that the cottages face the ocean, which is rocky but makes for beautiful viwes from your terrace. They are all water front, actually water's edge. If you love the sound of the ocean waves then you will love Biras - the sound lulls you to sleep at night. If you do not like the ocean sound then I would recommend the Garden Suites.<BR><BR>If we were not going to Cap we would definately be going to Biras, but we just have to see CJ. I hope its "Biras Like"<BR><BR>Thanks for the info on villa location!

Elaine Sep 11th, 2002 09:44 PM

For hardcore beach lovers there's just no substitute for accomodations right on the beach (or at least no more than a few steps away). Driving a bicycle or a car to the beach does not cut it for many of us... thanks for the warning about Biras Creek not being located on a nice calm beach!

Nancy Sep 12th, 2002 04:32 AM

Kathleen,<BR><BR>Not sure what "biras like" means but you won't be disappointed at Cap Juluca. We have been to 14 Caribbean islands and in my opinion Anguilla has the nicest beaches, the best food and the friendliest people.