Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Biras and Little Dix Activities (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/biras-and-little-dix-activities-545236/)

brenkj Jul 19th, 2005 05:58 AM

Biras and Little Dix Activities

My wife and I are spending several days at Biras Creek and Little Dix Bay in early November. Never been there before. What are the best activities at each resort (of course, they're both on Virgin Gorda, so I realize there may be some overlap)? Also, which activities should be reserved ahead of time?

Thanks.

Sunnyboy Jul 19th, 2005 08:34 AM

Both are upscale resorts and both offer similar amenities, i.e. swimming, snorkeling, boating, hiking, bike riding, etc. Check there respective web-sites for details. The main difference between the two is Biras Creek is accessible only by boat so anytime you want to visit anything off the resort you have to take a launch to the dock at Liverick Bay then get a taxi or rental car.

brenkj Jul 19th, 2005 12:06 PM

Thanks, Sunnyboy. Are there any particular activities you recommend over others (day trips to tiny islands, snorkeling or Scuba trips, dinner on the beach, etc.)? My main concern is that I don't want to get there and find out some amazing activity or day trip is all full up and I didn't reserve it ahead of time.

Thanks.

Sunnyboy Jul 19th, 2005 12:37 PM

If you are travelling in early November you should have no trouble booking activities once you are on-island - it's still off-season so there's no need to set up anything in advance unless you are locked into a certain day for a specific activity and then you'd only need a couple of days prior notice. Of course, when it comes to making reservations you should do what is comfortable for you.

As far as specific activities, no trip to VG would be complete without a visit to the Baths. This spot can get very crowded with day-trippers so plan your visit for early in the day. You can go on your own or the resort (whichever one you stay at) will gladly arrange for someone to take you there. If you can, take a day snorkel trip to the caves at Normam Island or the Indians. Here again, the resort probably has weekly or twice weekly trips to one or both of these locations. If you want to go diving the resort will be pleased to set up trips for you. There are several very competent dive operators operating out of Virgin Gorda. I'm not a diver but friends tell me there are some excellent sites at the Dog Islands and, of course, the wreck of the Rhone is a popular dive site.

You might want to consider taking a day trip to Anegada Island either by sailboat or ferry. The island has some incredible beaches and you can have a fabulous lobster lunch while you are there (some say it is the best lobster in the BVI's). This is one trip that is made only one or two days each week so you should check with the hotel concierge to fnd out which days you can do it. If you decide not to go to Anegada take a day-sail over to Necker Island. You won't be able to go ashore (it's privately owned) but there's an excellent snorkeling reef just off-shore and it's a fun way to spend a day. As for dinner on the beach, I'm sure the food service staff at your hotel will be pleased to accomodate that request without any problems. Have a great trip.

brenkj Jul 19th, 2005 12:57 PM

Sunnyboy - Those all sound like great ideas. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

timeforvacation Aug 9th, 2005 09:44 AM

We just got back from LDB n Saturday...I DEFINATELY second the Baths...while you are there, visit Devils Bay, it was BEAUTIFUL clear water, although slightly more crowded than the other beaches we visited (at 10 people, that seemed crowded at that point!). We reserved nothing in advance, just chose as the days went by. Beach drops were great...Mountain Truck Bay was great if you like snorkling...lots to see. The guided snorkling tour was so-so. I would recommend it if you aren't too comfortable with snorkling. If you are comfortable, do Mountain Trunk and Devil's Bay.
Also, we used the kayaks to search out the turtles in the bay at LDB,that was awesome, once we found one, we just followed it for a while, that was cute to watch. Kayaks...if they are on the beach,they're available for you to take.
Have fun!