Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

BEWARE: terrible problems with APPLE VACATIONS and their charter flights!

Notices

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 02:26 PM
angie

I am posting this message to warn others of the terrible treatment which I have been subjected to be Apple Vacations and warn others to avoid booking with them!

I travel extensively and take at least three vacations a year. I am used to encountering some problems but never to the extent of those with my Apple vacation in october of 2000.

My husband and I went to Cancun for a short getaway thursday to Sunday. We flew on a chartered plane with Apple direct from Chicago and met up with another couple whom we are good friends with there (note they went through continental airlines)

On Saturday night before we were to leave it began to rain as there was a hurricane south of Mexico in Belize. Suffice it to say Cancun airport was closed SUNDAY MORNING and we could not leave. when the airport reopened at 1p.m. on Sunday Continental airlines immediately flew our friends out. Apple would not send a charter plane to get our group and we were stuck. I assumed apple would cover our hotel for the night since they would not send a plane, but they didn't! the hotel did feel sorry for us and gave us a discount $160 for the night. Monday morning came with blue skies and still no plane. to make a long story short the Apple charter did not leave until early tuesday morning (we spent Monday night at the airport). when we finally boarded our plane we were told though that the plane was not going back to Chicago but St. Louis. If we were lucky w ecould catch another plane that day to chicago from St. Louis. We were supposed to arrive home Sunday afternoon and did not get home till Tuesday afternoon. We ended up spending about $75 on food , the hotel bill and we missed two days of work!

I filed a complaint with Apple when we returned and they told me it was not their fault and they are not responsible for the weather. I have written them again as well as called explaining that it was not a weather problem the airport was only closed for a few hours and was open at 1p.m. on Sunday, there is no excuse for not getting a flight until Tuesday. They are not responding!! I find this behavior incomprehensible, surely they should compensate me for some of the expenses!?!!

Please let me know if I am over reacting or if you believe I have good reason to be upset with them!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:57 PM
Gail

We have traveled with Apple Vacation many times and NEVER had any problems.
However,we were flying from San Juan to Phila.(Not with Apple) when a snow storm hit the east coast. We managed to get home OK, but friends of ours going to Boston via American Airlines could not get a flight out for four days. American Airlines offered them NO help whatsoever. It is not the resonsibility of the airlines or tour group if weather interferes with the flights. That's why we always get trip insurance. Our friends also had trip insurance and it paid for their hotel room. Your treatment from Apple was not really that different than what other people go through when bad weather hits.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:29 PM
Kimi

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Apple. I've never used them, but I would suggest reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Some people love Apple to death & some say they are the worst (sure every business has these problems). Don't know if you got trip insurance this time around (know it seems silly for such a short trip) but its worth it for your next trip. That may have lightened some of your out-of-pocket expenses. Good luck on your next trip!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:31 PM
Kimi

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Apple. I've never used them, but I would suggest reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Some people love Apple to death & some say they are the worst (sure every business has these problems). Don't know if you got trip insurance this time around (know it seems silly for such a short trip) but its worth it for your next trip. That may have lightened some of your out-of-pocket expenses. Good luck on your next trip!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:19 AM
angie

Just wanted to let you know we did have trip insurance and we tried to a make a claim under that too. They told us there was no bad weather past 1p.m. on Sunday. Planes were coming and going all the time. This is not like a snow storm that socks people in, it only rained for about 6-8 hours and we were stuck for 50 hours! The trip insurance people told us that had there been rain bad weather for the 2 days we were stuck we could make a claim, but they do not insure the tour operator's own negligence! Even they said it was apple's fault.

P.S. living in chicago and flying from O'hare often , I am used to bad weather delays in winter and spending the night at the airport, I am not used to being stuck for no reason!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:28 AM
Anon

Your trip insurance should have covered this. Bad weather not withstanding, it was an interruption of your trip and unforeseen expenses occured. Next time insure with a better company.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:35 AM
Anon

We also had a problem with Apple in November of 2000 and I'll try to keep this short. We were stuck in the airport for 12 hours and missed a full day of vacation. We were told an array of reasons, none of them made much sense. Ryan International was our provider and I assume they are contracted through Apple.

Anyway, we were told we would receive a $100 voucher which we all felt was unreasonable and if that's what we got, we would sue. Needless to say, we haven't heard a word from Apple nor our Travel Agency (which recently went out business due to poor handling of funds to say the least; which didn't affect us, though). We will be suing Apple unless they agree to compensate us appropriately, which I doubt they will do.

I thought our situation sucked. It sounds like some of you have even bigger problems and I feel for you very much. I say: GO GET ‘EM, if you can. That's terrible and should not have to be tolerated by anyone. Unfortunately, charters don't have to abide by many of those same, fairly new, federal standards that regular airlines do. But they still aren't off the hook and they are "sue-able."

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:38 AM
Monica

Angie: Wow! Sorry to hear about your ordeal-I'm sure you won't believe this, but I've been booking Apple almost every year for Mexico trips since '93 and just recently booked another for end of this month. Although I'm an experienced traveler just like you and fly out of Chicago O'Hare for all these trips, I choose not to even pay for additional insurance, which is risky in charter flight situations. As another person mentioned-no, for weather-related problems, they will not compensate. The charter flights only fly on a designated particular day(s)- this being the reason why charters run a little cheaper-which is why you were put out for so long. I'm not saying it's an excuse-I would be just as upset as you, but again, bear in mind that they simply cannot send out another charter,unless it's scheduled and they are contracted to do so. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen to me. In any case, with you paying the additional insurance, I would still try to make a claim against Apple. Good luck.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:56 PM
Tanya

Hey Anon,

What exactly are you suing for? You were delayed for 12 hours and offered $100 PP as compensation. Have you figured out the value of those 12 hours as a percentage of your total vacation package? Is a few hundred dollars (or even a couple thousand) worth the cost of suing and tying up our court system further with such a trivial situation?

Asking for expenses from Apple (as Angie is doing) is much more reasonable that the situation you discribed. Why do we live in such a sue happy society? Give me a break!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:41 PM
Kimi

Angie: since you did get insurance & that didn't help, I would take Apple to small claims court cause sounds like you definitely got the shaft. True, may be a "sue-happy society", but became that way (in part) because big businesses regularly screw the little people & pocket the profits. In addition, I would definitely file a complaint against Apple w/the Better Business Bureau - once a complaint is filed they will investigate & may take action against Apple. Complaints add up & if BBB gets enough of them, they could shut Apple down or at the very least, force them to conduct business properly. I'm sure there have been past complaints agaisnt Apple cause yours isn't the 1st I've heard. If you feel you've been wronged, I would definitely try something & not just let it go. Thanks for the warning. I was gonna book my upcoming trip to Cancun via Apple in NYC, but when I got there (tried 3 different locations) they all looked like dives, so I left & drove straight to Liberty Travel. Just MY experience, so Apple lovers please don't bag & tag me! Good luck in your future travels & I hope your next trip is much better!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:00 PM
joan

Angie:

A long shot, but Conde Nast Traveler has a great column called Ombudsman. Yours sounds like the perfect case for them...maybe this would be worth a shot.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:26 PM

Weather problems are not covered under any airline. And the only reason the Continental people got out is because they have 20 flights a week. Apple has one or two per week to any given destination. ITS A CHARTER>>>not a scheduled airline. They do not own their planes either, therefore you are given credit vouchers accordingly. They will send oyu on the next available plane. Complain when your hotel is over booked or when you pay too much. As far as I know, Apple has the best deals. People make of it what they want to. Some poeple find something wrong with every vacation!!!!

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Carol

Dear Angie, I read your report of your Apple Vacation with trepidation. I am planning to go to Aruba this month with Apple Vacations on a Ryan charter flight. I read all the responses to your posting. My opinion is that if Apple if running the tour, they should make sure all goes well, regardless of whose "fault" it is when things go wrong. Trip cancellation insurance is a a good backup plan. I've never flown on a charter plane before, and I'm crossing my fingers. I'm checking other responses to your posting as they come up. Thanks for sharing. Carol

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Mel

Angie,

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I am a travel agent and I have been booking Apple vacations for years.I have also traveled with them many of times. Apple Vacations can offer such wonderful deals by using charter airlines. The one thing you should do is read the
contract and DISCLAIMER explaining the conditions of flying with charter
airlines. Your travel agent should have advised you of the conditions and you should have read the rules and regulations. Chartes work out great if there is no bad weather and there is no mechanical on the aircraft. Many years ago thousands of people got stranded in Hawaii over Christmas due to bad weather. They also booked a charter airline and were stuck for days. That's the breaks. Better next time pay the extra money to flight on scheduled airlines.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:22 AM
M.M.

Kimi the dives that you visited were not Apple Vacation locations.Apple is a travel wholesaler and sells only through travel agents,not directly to the public.I have taken numerous vacations with Apple,the last was to Aruba we flew two charters,Allegro Air to and Ryan Air on return with no problems.The worst travel problems I've had were with Aer Lingus and American Airlines,so it happens with anyone at anytime.It just wasn't your day get over it,when I encounter travel problems I've learned to think of it as PART OF THE ADVENTURE and make the best of it.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:55 AM
angie

Just wanted to give you an update on my plight. I spoke with the Client Services department for the second time as well as reviewed the "Apple Fair Trade Agreement" contract. The representative told me my situation was "under review" and that I would receive a detailed explanation within 2 weeks. I will keep my fingers crossed.

However, after reviewing the contract, it specifically states if there is a delay due to Apple's own negligence they will cover all expenses and compensate. IMHO (and by the way I never mentioned that Iam an attorney however I usually don't practice this specific type of law) the failure to fly us out for 50 hours when there were only weather problems for 6 hours is their negligence. There were many options available to apple including sending another charter plane, purchasing cheap tickets for us on the next commercial flight, reimbursing us our hotel and food bill for the extra stay. At this point I have become very angry as this has drug out for 3 months. If the "reply" from apple is not sufficient I plan to file a case in small claims court and will give you the lowdown.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Kimi

Mystery Man: I did "get over it" the moment I booked my vacation via Liberty Travel. I've read very few complaints about the services they deliver, unlike the numerous complaints I've read re: Apple Vacations. My "adventure" will be when I reach my destination, not stressing about details BEFORE I even get there. That's just b.s., in my opinion.

Angie: Good luck & I hope you get compensated from the services Apple promised to deliver. People work too hard for their $$$ to just give it away to big business.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Anon

This whole thing sounds like a case for "Judge Judy"!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Monica

Hmmmm...in my earlier post, I mentioned that possibly a small reimbursement would be in order, but I have to agree with some of the others now.....why would you waste your time and money in court on this? You are missing the MOST important point that some of us have made-APPLE DOES NOT HAVE THE OPTION TO SEND OUT ANOTHER CHARTER FLIGHT-they simply cannot just send out another plane, good weather or not, only the specified dates in brochure/schedule. Sorry, but you I don't think you will get anywhere with this, but that's your decision.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Maysie

Angie, thanks for posting this. Please do keep us informed of your progress, as I've been following this thread since it began. I have never booked via Apple mostly based on the negative complaints I've read about them. The few dollars saved isn't worth sacrificing what could be a great vacation. Please do let us know what happens & good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO