Beware of Police Officers in St Lucia Cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In February, we took a vacation to St Lucia, preferring to stay on the eastern side of the island for its tranquility. We also wanted to experience the larger cities, to include the markets of St. Lucia, so decided to head to Castries on Saturday. Since we were on the opposite side of the island, we had a local rental car and drove to Castries. Upon our arrival, we found a parking spot along the road and parked. When we emerged from the market about a few hours later, we were summoned to the police officer across the street (from where we parked).

The police officer told me that I was parked in a no-parking zone and that he was going to issue me a ticket, for which I had to show up in court in Castries Monday morning. I stated that the area was not marked as no parking and that the whole side of the street was lined with cars. He explained to me that this was for people "running in and out" of the market and the no-parking signs, while not on the street, applied here as well. The conversation continued back and forth like this (won't bore you with any more details) and he stated that I could either pay him the fine or I could show up in court Mon morning. Since I was to leave Monday, I opted to pay him. Later, I found out what a mistake that was!

As it turns out, I was had. I should have known better, but I was a bit nervous of being seen as an uppity American in a foreign country, so decided to comply with the officer's request and paid him the ticket money directly. Hind sight being 20/20, I should have been the model citizen tourist and requested my day in court. There wasn't really a ticket and there wasn't really an issue, other than I was spotted dead-on as a tourist and could be had for a small fee. So, please be aware of police officers offering to help you out with parking tickets.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 03:49 PM

toddon, sorry about what happened too you!!! How much did he take you for? Did you get his name, badge or anything like a reciept for the fine that he issued you? Have you considered writting a letter of complaint to the chief of police / governement? I would if I was you!!!
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 04:24 PM

I remember being in a town in Jamaica, I think it was Santa Cruz. I parked on the street near a small tree and went into a market..same as you. Came out to see 2 uniformed policemen standing next to my rental car. Thinking the worst as I approached, I asked if there was a problem. The answer? "No problem mon.. this is the only shady spot on the street".

Guess my outcome was better than yours.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Not an uncommon occurrence.

We had this happen to us on Grenada and just stood there talking to the officer until he "forgot" about the ticket.

We saw him at a bar later that night and bought him a drink, and we ended up sitting with him and his friends.

Another time it happened (in Mexico) and my husband said, "OK. No problem. Will it say what time we need to be in court on the ticket?" And again, the ticket miraculously was not written.

Police in the Caribbean make an unbelievably-small salary, and many "supplement" their income.

Getting their badge number and reporting them in most locales is a sure way to run into more "violations" during your trip on a small island.

The "fine" is usually small, and (imho) it's not worth making a point and getting all upset about it trying to avoid a Caribbean "tradition."

Sure, it's a bribe, but I guess to me it's just part of travel in the region, and in many, many trips, we've only run into it twice.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Tolerate this kind of salary suppliment?
Only once and that island is off the list and the experience posted for all to see and make their choice as to whether or not to vacation there.
You reap what you sow.
One might say that this can happen anywhere, true. But in alot of places it doesn't and that is where I'd prefer to be.
Thanks to toddon14th for posting a heads up.
I've been to St Lucia.......once.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I completely agree with Santa. My wife & I have been there once and will not return for various reason, that being just one of them...
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:28 AM

I wasn't surprised to read this. Although we didn't rent a car in St. Lucia, we had other issues. Just as Santa and Sharkdiver have stated, once is enough when you've been done wrong. There are too many other nice islands around to put up with negative feelings on vacation.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:48 AM

I would say that I would not let one internet posting dissuade me from choosing any particular place to visit.
This is one of those line in the sand situations where you have people who love a particular location, no matter what, and those who are less convinced.
The beauty of the internet is that allows one to be able to research a destination more completely than ever before.
Now a lot of the Island newspapers are online which can let you gain even more perspective.
On the other hand, spontaneity sometimes leads to the best of times.
Oh, what is one to do..........
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Wow, this brings back memories of one year when two cousins and I drove my mother to Florida - I think it was 1975 and I got stopped (yes, for speeding as I passed a truck) in Georgia - the policeman had me follow him off the highway, down a long dirt road, to where a trailer was and I was told to pay up in cash or have to be there in the morning. Right in the good old USA and so we paid up and went on our way. I had never heard of this at the time and truthfully, even 'at home' in the states, would have been frightened if i didn't have two male cousins, although only 15, but well over 6' and athletes in the back seat.

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Y'all better cross most of the Caribbean off your destination list then, as this happens to some degree on all but a few of them...
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM

At least they dont have professional solicitors call you during dinner asking for money. lol
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Reminds me of a story of my own . One that I had completely forgotten about . On my honeymoon in Costa rica 15 years , ago we got into ( unknowingly ) a pirate taxi .... Guy stops 1/4 mile before our hotel , we try to explain in span-fran-glish that we needed to go further . He refused , we gave him less money . As we start to walk a cop truck stops and 2 cops start to question us , we understood something about " Not a Taxi " ... They wanted to see our passports . Visions of a Costa Rican jail flashed before my eyes and I told Francois " NO !!! " I then start crying , batting my eyelashes , cryin somemore , by that time there is a crowd of Latin American gents are scowling at the officers , I use it to my advantage( shameless , yes ) . I cry " Luna de Miela " , boo hoo , lots of finger pointing , we really dont have a clue what is going on , all I know is they do not need our passports !!! And voila , feminine wiles and whines have victor !!!! YEAH ! But ya know what ,? Did it tarnish my love of Costa Rica ? Nope . One of my favorite places in the world . Is it for everyone ? Nope . My tolerance level for things is completelt different from Joe Schmoe standing next to me . BUT ..... you need to have SOME level of tolerance folks . Your not in Kansas anymore .
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM

faithie, you GO girl.

I will have to remember this ploy for my repertoir. gt;
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Tee Hee Diana !!! Where is our GTG by the way ?? !!!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Ah the exalted ones chime in to reign and fault all but their own way of thinking.
We all must grow up and see what they see or stay home.
Tsk tsk, how dare we have a difference with the Queens.
You go girls.............
I aspire to be as well versed and traveled as you.
Ooops, sorry, I need a vacation
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Santa Baby, all is well with the world.

All anyone needs to remember in order to travel well in the Caribbean is "live and let live."

It's not a concept that we "Caribbean Queens" came up with, but it does serve us well.

No one's way of thinking is any better than anyone else's.

faithie, I vote for the Grenadines or the Out Islands for our GTG.

If all else fails, I guess we will have to pick something geographically-accessible.

Where is it that you live again? I'm in NC.

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Peace girls, I'm on the East Coast North of you.
10 1/2 months of the year here the rest there.
Working towards more
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Why Santa , Thank You . A new title . I accept . In truth . Do not be so quick to judge . You made your point . I graciously made my own . Absolutely no need for attitude . All opinions are not only welcome but needed . All sorts of travellers out there , and Thank - Goodness I say . But lets play nicely.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Santa I'm an East Coaster as well , can't get much more east than Prince Edward Island !!! ( although I live in Montreal , an Islander I will aleays be )
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:24 PM

OOPS ! Always be .... ( sp. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -