Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

BEWARE - Enteric Fever (Group C2 S. Salmonella - Newport strain) when in Jamaica

BEWARE - Enteric Fever (Group C2 S. Salmonella - Newport strain) when in Jamaica

Aug 29th, 2002, 10:33 AM
traveller

Currently Health Canada is looking into this due to two reported cases from recent travellers. Air Canada vacations is also investigating, as they sponsor so many people on vacations to Jamaica.

Do watch what you eat. Make sure it has been well cooked.

If you are returning from Jamaica, have a rash on your trunk, severe headache, fever, chills, be sure to visit a health professional. It is a serious disease.

This is just a warning. Please be careful.

And before I get slammed for posting this, remember, it is just a warning. It is impossible for me to post the medical reports here.

Aug 29th, 2002, 10:56 AM
TK

Thanks traveller. I don't think that anyone should slam you for your informative efforts.

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Breee

Thanks for the information. I am going to Jamaica in November for a wedding. I will let everyone now about the concern.

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:06 AM
traveller

Thanks TK, I actually had my previous post removed (I personally asked for it to be removed) as I had named the resort where one of the reported cases happened.

I just got no end of abuse.

But we know, if there are two cases, there are more, we just want people to recognize the symptoms and take the appropriate steps.

And to exercise caution when visiting the country - be sure to get a typhoid vaccination as well, even though it doesn't help this particular strain, it will prevent a lot of problems.

This isn't just flu and the bacteria can continue to grow in your body until you are gravely ill.

Remember the symptoms, rash on trunk, severe headache, high fever (in some cases as high as 43C), chills, intermittent diarhea. Or some of the above. Just seek medical help if you have these symptoms and are recently back from Jamaica.

If when travelling there, you experience any of the above, do not take Kaopectate. It intensifies the problem.

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:22 AM
anon

Traveler: Why are you protecting the resort where it happened? Isn't it possible that they're to blame due to inadequate sanitary or cooking procedures? If so, they should not be protected. People should know the truth as you could be putting their health or lives in danger.

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Izzy

Hi Traveler, I read your eariler post. I was one of the people who apologized to you for the rude behavior of the others. It was your new son-in-law, wasn't it? I hope he is doing better. And again I am sorry you got so bashed by the others. It was unfair. But sadly typical of some types on this forum.

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:35 AM
TK

Izzy,
Traveller did post one of the resorts where it happened and got bashed.
Traveller,
Do you know if the salmonella problem is only in Jamaica or has it been reported on any other islands? Thanks.

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:39 AM
traveller

I am not really protecting the resort, I am protecting myself.

I do think the resort is to blame. In order for the bacteria to invade the blood stream (as it did in the case of the person to whom I refer), it had to be a massive dose of the bacteria. That is sickening in itself when you think about where the bacteria comes from.

However, you have to remember that there are legal issues here, not only for the resort but also for myself. Legal issues that we have to sort out between each other.

I am not saying by any means that I am planning on suing, what I am saying is, that before I posted last time (and also now), I have to be prepared to post the actual medical reports (which are now completed and it has been determined by Health Canada that it is a fault of the food in Jamaica, definately travel related and these people ate no where other than the resort), this I cannot do. It is an invasion of privacy for one thing but also a sueable thing by the resort. I don't need to get sued for this.

I think that those of you who are visiting Jamaica though should be aware that no resort is immune. Even if they are totally in charge of health practices, they cannot predict if their food supply is ok. Even if they ensure that every food worker washes their hands carefully while on site, who says they washed their hands before they got there?

The resort is aware of the problem even though they have been denying it to many potential visitors but they are aware and I suspect are on top of it.

It would only be in their best interests to get it under control immediately. We demanded that all food workers be tested for not only the bacteria but also if they may be potential carriers. I believe they have done this, to give them credit.

Still back to the main reason for posting, GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY if you have any of the above symptoms.

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Could it Be?

Would this particular resort's name be the same as a type of shoe that one wears in the summertime?

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:48 AM
traveller

I haven't heard if this is a problem anywhere other than Jamaica. In fact though, I kind of doubt it. Or I am sure the Health Canada officials would have told me.

After talking to the Health Canada fellow yesterday, it appears as though this is a pretty unusual thing. No one there had ever seen it before. They were most intrigued as are most health care professionals are when they see something unusual.

My relative was gravely ill. Imagine having a temp of 43C? I think this coverts to about 110F.

But he is doing better now. Still has the incredibly bad headache and they tell him it could be 6 - 8 weeks before the headache goes away. Pretty devasting for a phys. ed. teacher.

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:53 AM
xxx

Traveller,
I am so sorry about your relative being so sick. Thank you for the info. What's the best website one can look up info such as this if they are traveling and want to see if there are any health concerns or outbreaks?

Aug 29th, 2002, 11:59 AM
traveller

I am not sure. I tried to find this out myself but had some difficulty. I am currently on wait with the Canada Health Advisories.

One web site is www.travelhealth.gc.ca. They warn about the potential for typhoid in Jamaica. Unfortunately, not all strains are protected by the vaccine but it certainly helps.

Check that one out. If that doesn't help, post again and I will try to find something. The Health Canada site has been visiting the CDC site for info on this strain. You can also look that one up under CDC, Atlanta. Use the whole name, enteric fever, Group c2.s salmonella. Look for travel advisories.

Aug 29th, 2002, 12:03 PM
anon

Why yes, as a matter of fact it is something you wear on your foot in the summer. It starts and ends with an "S". (I remember the deleted post - was just wondering why he or she asked that it be deleted).

Aug 29th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Izzy

because anon - after the rude people here bashed her all the way back to Canada she probably freaked and thought the resort might possibly sue her. I don't think she ever expected any posts like the ones she got, I was here too that day, it was horrible.

Aug 29th, 2002, 12:20 PM
anon

Izzy: I remember that day too. Just because you get bashed doesn't mean you write Fodor's and ask them to delete the thread. I knew there was more to it and I was curious what it was. I was not one of those person bashing her or him because they said something bad about Sandals. I am kind of anti-Sandals myself and it has nothing to do with the recent disease.

Aug 29th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Izzy

I know, but it obviously scared her enough to call Fodor's and get it deleted. I felt bad for her.

Aug 29th, 2002, 12:45 PM
traveller

Hey, I would privately email anyone who wants to post their email address with the details. I obviously have to be a bit careful here.

But, our main concern is preserving the health of people, not bashing a resort, going after big bucks or whatever. That isn't the case (remember, I haven't named any resort here just that people need to be careful no matter where they are staying in Jamaica).

So, anyone who wants to post their real email address, I will respond.

Cheers

Aug 29th, 2002, 01:00 PM
ramjet

I am not a fan of Sandals either and I get riduculed alot for it; but when it comes to someone getting seriously ill I think Sandals has a RESPONSIBILITY to inform travelers and not to DENY any knowledge. I remember my trip back in late May. I called the resort 3 days before departure and inquired about the weather because I had heard of flooding. They even went so far as to say the weather was fine and not a problem. Well it turns out they were having some of the worst flooding in years (millions in damage) roads were washed away. But I guess thats their policy, to not disclose anything, I disagree with it but hey I have had alot more problems with Sandals and understand how people can be quite frustrated with their practices. Hope everything turns to the positive for you and others.

Aug 29th, 2002, 01:38 PM
traveller

ttt

Aug 29th, 2002, 01:48 PM
traveller

More bad news. The new wife of the relative with the S. Salmonella Group C2 has now tested positive for e.coli in her stool.

So not only are we dealing with Salmonella, but E. Coli as well.

Scary but a good warning to any travellers.

For those of you who phoned your resorts, where ever you may be staying, don't be surprised if they deny any notification of this. Even though I took the time to phone directly to Jamaica, I understand that they are denying everything.

JUST BE CAREFUL. E. Coli, Salmonella are easily transmitted but well cooked food should reduce the risk.

But remember that fly's can carry this as well. However these are huge doses of the bacteria, probably not transmitted by flies. Just take care with what you eat. If you have ever been sick on holiday (as I have) you can understand why I am so concerned. Mainly because my relative could have died from this. And now e. coli? What does that tell you? That there is a lot of (forgive the expression) shit in the food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO