Playa del Carmen

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:18 AM
mary

Playa del Carmen

We've vacationed in Cancun and now here a lot about Playa del Carmen and are interested in going there. I'd love to hear your comments about the beach, area and places to stay. Thanks!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Diane

Cancun resembles "Vegas on the ocean" with loads of bars/nightlife, etc., whereas PDC/Mayan Riviera is more like a tropical paradise...loads of palm trees, beautiful beaches, etc. The town itself can be quite "active" and is becoming larger every year. You can find any number of great restaurants and nightlife but on a smaller scale than Cancun and more like a smaller European atmosphere...no high rises, etc. When I saw Cancun, I was so glad that I had decided NOT to stay there because it's not my idea of a tropical paradise type vacation. Beaches are better in PDC (swimable...unlike some areas of Cancun) with incredible clear blue water. If you like some nightlife/shopping, stay in the resort area called "Playacar" which is right next door to PDC town (within walking distance). If you don't mind taking taxis into PDC, stay anywhere along the Mayan Riviera...each resort/hotel has something different to offer. My personal favorite resort is the Barcelo Maya Beach resort (20 minutes south of PDC).

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:05 PM
fabila

If you have children I'd recommend the Gala Resort. Stayed there in 2001. 11 year old loved all the activities and freedom to roam around by herself when not interested in what her parents were doing or not at the club. Kids get front row sits each night at the shows and the club was free! Beautiful beach with lots of security, no noisy wave runners etc near this beach. Two pools, food ok, good entertainment, friendly staff.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Nancy

You got a lot of very good info from Diane.<BR>Cancun and PDC are like night and day comparison-wise. But one caveat, PDC is extremely laid back and bohemian. Shopping is more of the eceletic and unusual, and the people roming about tend to be more of a crowd which is escapist and European as opposed to Americans. <BR>It is not remotely glitzy.<BR>What you will find is one of the most gorgeous stretches of beaches to be found in the Caribbean, and an opportunity to have a relaxed and stress free vacation.<BR>That having been said, PDC is growing fast, and is having recent crime issues. By all means, go and have a great time, but realize you will need to keep a heads up attitude in the city at night.<BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Mango

PDC is beautiful! The water is the most amazing shade of blue. We stopped in PDC for a day during a cruise, and we want to go back one day. We tried to go back this month, but our frequent flyer miles just didn't make it possible this time (no flights that matched the time we have off). <BR><BR>If you go, try to take a day-trip to the Tulum ruins. It only takes about 1 1/2 hours by a tourbus to get there. The ruins are neat, but the best part of Tulum is that it sits on a gorgeous stretch of beach. It was one of the best tours we have been on. <BR><BR>When we were looking into going to PDC again, I stumbled onto the Lonely Planet website and several people there suggested actually staying a night or two in Tulum. Apparently they have some cabanas on the beach near Tulum that you can rent. You might want to look into that - I don't think it's a luxurious place, but I would definitely do it to stay on that beautiful Tulum beach!!<BR><BR>PDC town is so cute too. A lot of the shops have great local merchandise - not all that touristy crap. But, be careful...we wandered off a little too far and didn't like the area we wound up in. Just like anywhere else, you just have to be alert to where you're going. <BR>I'd DEFINITELY choose PDC over Cancun. There are watertaxis though so you could take a daytrip into Cancun if you wanted. <BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:05 AM

ttt