Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best way to go to Bermuda - cruise or stay on island?

Old Dec 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I (6 adults) are looking to visit Bermuda in July or August of '09 for a week. None of us have ever been, but we've all heard it's very pricey to stay on the island for a week. We were thinking of taking a cruise there...we would be at sea for a day, then on the island for 3 days, then at sea again before heading back to port. So, not sure if that makes the best use of our time for a week to see the island, but it's definitely an affordable option. Any suggestions on if a cruise or staying on the island is better (and where to stay) is much appreciated!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Price would be your biggest factor. Bermuda is expensive. If you can utilize the cruise ship for meals, that would cut your costs as well. Can you see Bermuda in three days? Sure - a little planning and you can do a lot in three days. We have an excellent public transportation system here that will get you from one end of the island to the other. But you could also explore non-traditional options for a weeklong stay (guesthouses, VRBO) and hit the grocery store. Let us know when you decide to cruise vs. fly in, and we'll help you plan the rest!!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM

I live in North Carolina (saw your screen name and assume you are here or in SC). Bermuda is a very short flight from CLT. I highly recommend spending the entire time in Bermuda. It is paradise and you will have a great time making a leisurely exploration. You can cut costs significantly by renting a house and avoiding the hotel expense. Remember a rental has no tax and frequently no service charge...makes a big difference. Given the size of your group you can really get something splendid. Try www.bermudarentals.com or www.bermudagetaway.com for some ideas. Of course, you can save buckets by cooking in the rental.

Bermuda is another world.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the recommendations. I think I am leaning towards renting a house...especially with 6 of us. Yes, I am in Charlotte...so would be really easy for me to get there. I'll look on those sites you suggested to see if I can find a big enough house for all of us. If we do a house, I would love to find one on the beach, but knowing that would probably increase the price as well. If you have any house/cottage suggestions that would be great as you can't always get a great idea from pictures on the internet. Thanks a ton!!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM

I have not traveled with a group of that size, CarolinaGirl, so I don't have any particular places to suggest. However, check tripadvisor's Bermuda forum as there are several posters there who regularly rent. If you pick a few which look like they fit your budget, post them here and I will be glad to give you some feedback. Txgirlinbda is a great resource and I am sure she will be able to make some suggestions to you.

One apartment group you might find appealing is Clairfont. It is a consistently well reviewed budget property.
http://tinyurl.com/7u62ns

I don't think you will find anything right on the beach but you can find places within walking distance. One thing I would say is that tourism is way down in Bermuda and you may be able to negotiate a little flexibility on the cost. Also take a look at the USAIR packages as sometimes they are quite a bargain out of CLT.

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM

www.BermudaGetaway.com - www.bermudarentals.com and www.Bermuda.com all have vacation home rental info - you might find something that works for you. And cmcfong is right - the downturn in tourism is a daily topic here, so it couldn't hurt to negotiate. You'll save money by not looking for something 'on the beach' - but the whole island is only a mile wide - so you're never very far!! The South shore parishes of Paget, Warwick and Southampton are probably where you'll want to focus if you're interested in being close to the nicest beaches. (Look for homes that are on/walking distance to bus lines 7 or 8.)
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info txgirl...I will definitely look in those areas for homes. Hopefully we will get our schedules worked out and be able to make it to Bermuda! If we do, I may be trying to reach out to you again for more specific suggestions on what to do while there! Thanks again!