Reload this Page >

Question re: St. John in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Michelle

We are in the process of deciding whether or not to book our trip to St. John during the first week of August. My concern is rain. Has anyone been to St. John during that time of year? Would it be better to go the 3rd week of July instead? We usually go to the islands during the winter but wanted to take advantage of some great deals this year. Thoughts? Thanks very much.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Michelle

Anyone? Help

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Gina

Hi Michelle! I've been to St. Croix (end of July) and Turks and Caicos in August and both times there were rain showers that happened maybe once a day and lasted for 5-10 minutes. It's actually quite refreshing!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Michelle

Great! Thanks so much for the reply, Gina. We're really looking forward to our trip. The end of July was substantially more expensive than that first week of August but we wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be sitting in the hotel in the pouring rain every day.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Becca

My husband and I went to St. John on our honeymoon in August, 2000. After one day on St. John, we had to leave due to Hurricane Debbie. We did get to go back a few days later once Debbie passed through, and we had no rain the entire week we were there. As long as you can avoid a hurricane, you should have rain-free weather!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Michelle

Becca, Yikes! Was this during the beginning of August?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Melanie

Michelle,<BR>Whether Becca's hurricane hit in the beginning of August or not is really irrelevent. Hurricane season runs from June to November. The highest risk is in August and September, even then the risk of a full fledged hurricane is small but you will see a higher incidence of rainy periods. Even at that it's still my favorite time of year to go. The island is uncrowded and quiet. Just invest in good trip insurance or go another time of year.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:21 PM
pat

Even if a small hurricane passes hundreds of miles away you can get torrential rain which could force you to stay indoors, and flooding can be a real problem. It's a crap shoot, but summer is a good way to avoid the crowds.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:05 PM
jackie

We went the last week of august 2001. We had the best weather you could ask for. No rain. Beautiful skys, and the best uncrowded beaches I have ever seen. we are going to St thomas same time this year

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Lara

We honeymooned in St. John in Mid-August of 1997. (was that the el nino year? I don't remember). No hurricanes. Rain on one or two afternoons for 15 minutes then right back to the clear beautiful weather. While it IS hurricane season, your chances of not encountering one are great. The good thing about hurricanes is that you can see them coming days in advance when they come off the West African coast.