Search

Help San Juan Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help San Juan Hotels

I am planning my own trip to Caribbean. We are going in December to BVI , but before that we decided to stop in San Juan for 2 nights.

I have plenty of time to decide but so far I am not happy with any of hotels. Does anybody have first hand info for good hotels in SJU in $200 and up range.

Since we will spend next 6 nights at nice secluded resort in Virgin Gorda (Biras Creek) with good beach, I am not particluary interested in beach location on San JUan. We only stay there 2 nights, arrive at 1pm Dec 3 and leave about same time Dec 5. I thought we can stay on old city, explore it and go to good restaurants, in the evening (food is important to us!) so I looked at Old San Juan hotels first . I can always take a taxi for a half day to take us around and go t othe beach just to see how the beaches are - Condado, Isla Verde. But in the evening I do not want to be be stuck at hotel.

A lot's of cruise passengers (since we will be in SJU on Sat) also bothers me. But I hope they go to shopping during the day and leave in the evening....

I looked at tripadvisor.com and read reviews and I see that El Covento Hotel which member of Small Luxury Hotels and cost about $400 per night, has horrible reviews.
Wyndham Old San JUan has so-so reviews.

Isla Verde Hotels - Wyndham El Juan has consistent bad reviews.
Water Club looks trendy Ian Schrager type but I also read some complaints.

Isla Verde looks isolated..

We love good dining.. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM

There is probably no hotel known to mankind that hasn't screwed up and disappointed customers at one time or other. Even the Ritz in Isla Verde has some bad reviews. Considering that, maybe the tactic is to look for something less expensive but comfortable and don't expect much, especially since it's only 2 days and not the major part of your trip. I think the problem is San Juan is a center for conventions and cruise ships so they have a captive audience and don't offer the pampering that one would get in some destination resorts.

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Isla Verde in Feb. 2000 and while the hotel was nice, we had the worst bed I've ever slept in a hotel, spent the whole night tossing and turning it was so hard. The hotel did have a Ruth's Chris restaurant in it so that made up for the lack of sleep. The steaks there were out of this world.

One evening we strolled over to the El San Juan. We were so impressed with how beautiful the lobby and public areas were, we decided let's go have breakfast there the next day. The breakfast was ok but for what they were charging the coffee should have been first rate. It was horrible. I was so disappointed. At those prices the coffee should have been superb. Where's a Starbucks when you need it. I should have emailed their corporate offices and let them know what I thought of their beds and coffee. Maybe if more people let management know about these things, the hotels would improve.

Maybe something like Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn would be a less expensive option in Isla Verde. If you want to be in Old San Juan, close your eyes and go for the Caribe Hilton. I've stayed at the Hampton Inn which is almost across the street from the El San Juan. It was 1/2 the price of the beach hotels and typical Hampton Inn.

You just aren't going to get a perfect hotel in San Juan. If you go to other parts of the island there are some better hotel/villa options.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

KarenM,
thank you. I am a travel agent and when my clients come back and not satisfied, we always contact hotel and tell them complaints, because it is important for them to know.

You observation on captive audience is right on target. That's right that some cruisers and conventioners are not that demanding.

Caribe Hilton - it is indeed closer but not a walking distance, I assume?

Indifferent staff bothers me too. I just hate blah chain hotels which look like they can be in any city.

Now I am thinking we might as well stay in Condado area and take a taxi to OSJ.

I found Coral Princess Inn http://www.coralpr.com
and surprisingly reviews were almost all good
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...erto_Rico.html

I am thinking about to give my business to smaller family owned hotel which has a good service.
So I also found hotel Milano in OSJ but some people complained there are no good windows!

Now I am also thinking that OSJ area in night might be noisy too.

So maybe Condado is OK?

Marriott's Condado reviews also were better than other resorts.

Of course I realise that people who give reviews have different tastes and requirements however, I am usually good to finding average opinion.

Thanks

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never stayed in Old San Juan but did visit El Convento. It was a pretty interesting hotel, with nice courtyard. I can't comment on the rooms or service. The two best hotels, IMHO, in the San Juan area are the El San Juan and the Ritz Carlton, both of which are in Isla Verde. There are quite a few very good restaurants in that area, most of which are hotel-based. The El San Juan itself has several very good restaurants.

There is not much to do in the area as far as daytime walking. It's a fairly congested area - the attractions really are the hotels.

Condado area hasa couple of good hotels - Condado Plaza (Wyndham) and the Marriott. I've stayed at both and like the Marriott better - rooms were larger, nice balconies, better beach. Condado is a shorter cab ride to Old San Juan that from Isla Verde it's only about 10 minutes by taxi). WHile I like the Marriott, it is not in the same class as the Ritz Carlton or the El San Juan.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:55 AM

emtravel, I can't comment on the other hotels you mention because I've only stayed at the Hampton Inn and Intercontinental. From what you said though, if Old San Juan is where you want to spend your time, I would find something close to that...and if you can find a small hotel that meets your criteria in reviews, etc., I would go with that. I personally don't like large hotels and it's a lot of work to find the jewels but usually worth it in the end.

Somewhere on the internet I saw a map of the San Juan area that showed where each hotel was in relation to Old San Juan. Do a search for San Juan and you will likely find it. That might give you a better idea of how far out from Old San Juan you want to go.

Good Luck

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:23 PM

just returned from puerto rico. look into Marriot. It is med. priced It is located in Condado, a 5 min cab ride away from old San Juan. the staff could not be any nicer. lobby bar will give you a real caribean flair. You do not want to be walking around san juan at nite anyway. Beach is beautiful. Highly recommend Baru ( need reservations) and aguavivo. Both are new hot spots. trust me I am a real jaded new yorker.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

deborahwei,
thank you. I looked at Mariott as well athough I do not like American chain hotels. So do you think it is possible to have a two nights (we onlty have two) of fine dining at Condado Beach?
We can tour OSJ during the day.

Did you see Water club?
thanks
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:04 PM

Hi....we went over to the Water Club and it was VERY cool. The restaurant was great (we had dinner there), lobby very funky, the rooms and bar on the roof were....again....very cool. But the location, not good. And I didn't hear good reviews from anyone who stayed there. I wouldn't stay there, the beach is in a bad location...we have been to PR at least 5 times. Favorite hotel is the Hyatt Dorado....a room ON the beach with hammock outside the sliding door. However it is a bit of a drive from San Juan. We have stayed at the El Conquistador, which is nice but too huge, much like being on a cruise ship. Although the Villas are nice....we didn't stay in one though. They are affiliated with the Golden Door spa. There is nothing of the Biras Creek caliber. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton last time, and the hotel is very nice but pool area was crowded. I would probably stay there if I wanted to be near San Juan, but don't expect it to be like other Ritz Carltons. Other place I would stay again is the Westin, by El Yunque rain forest (something different if you are going to Biras Creek....we have been there as well). Not TOO far from the airport....not as far as the Dorado or El Conquistador. GOOD LUCK!!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:55 PM

emtravel,

Your trip sounds familiar to me, Just last February/March, my wife and I made the same trip and stayed in San Juan.... so I am somewhat familiar with your dilema, I did a ton of research, and the one hotel I kept coming across was the Gallery Inn (www.thegalleryinn.com) on Old San Juan, within walking distance to everything in Old San Juan. It is an older building(s) which have been converted, it is quite quirky, and the type of place you might envision in OLD San Juan. And it is within your price range. But please, expect creaky stairs, narrow halls, and lots of old windows. I can say with some authority that my wife and I loved the hotel, and completely suggest that you too would enjoy your time at the Gallery Inn. The beds are very very comfortable.

Also, if I may suggest a restaurant if you choose to stay in OSJ, I would strongly urge you to have dinner at Cafe Borinquen (sp?), and if you like Garlic try the Mofongo...

Also, if you find yourself at the Gallery Inn, please get a bottle of wine, soda, or whatever, and wonder around the Inn until you make your way to the roof, and once on the roof climb to the very top platform, sit by the small lanterns, and relax in the soft breeze off the ocean and the sounds and lights of OSJ.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptiuals, and good luck on your trip.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:59 PM

I almost forgot....

On the way home we also spent the night in San Juan, we stayed at the Water Club... IMHO...I would skip the Water Club... its reputation far exceeds its offerings...
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

dear stockexchanger and sgibson3,
thank you for your suggestions.

Especially re: Water Club, the reputation is misleading. I will check Gallery Inn. Some people did not suggest stay in OSJ at night? Why ? It is not safe? Too loud?

I looked at Gallery Inn and like it!
I will check it out.
Are less expensive rooms too small?

Regards
Sophia