Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best Starwood (Westin/Sheraton/St. Regis) Resort for Families??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2014, 04:28 AM
JBG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! We need suggestions for our family trip over Christmas.
It's just my wife and I and our 10yr old boy so having a vacation with lots going on is key.

I am a big Starwood guy so we always use points for our end of the year trips.

We always went to the Westin Aruba on points the last 6 yrs and loved it, but now it was sold.

Booked Los Cabos, but now that is closed from the hurricane and we don't want to risk not having everything back by the time we go.

Down to maybe these Starwood properties;

Cancun - Westin Lagunamar
St. John - Westin
St. Maarten - Westin
Dominican Republic - Westin
Grand Cayman - Westin
Puerto Rico - St. Regis.

My fear is that several of these seem too quiet. Just beach and pool for chilling. Great for me but not enough activities for the kid (kids clubs are too young for him).

I need some comments on which ones get a good family crowd. Which have playful pool areas and kid activities, things to do at night etc.

I am sure we will book outside excursions too

Any and all help will be appreciated!
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Hi JBG, my family and I vacationed in Grand Cayman last November. My boys were then 8 and 10. We absolutely loved Grand Cayman. Seven Mile Beach is incredibly beautiful. We did not stay at the Westin, instead rented a condo on the beach. There are beach activities which we enjoyed... banana boat ride, paddle boarding, etc. Swimming with the Dolphins was an amazing experience for all of us and there is also Sting Ray City. The sunsets in Grand Cayman are some of the best we have ever seen. You can't go wrong with this destination!

St. John, USVI, is also one of our favorite islands in the Caribbean. I would just recommend that you rent a car in St. John. The beauty of it is exploring the many pristine beaches all around the island. They all back up to the National Park and some are only accessible via a hike.

I would be glad to provide you with more details if needed, just let me know.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 10:05 AM
WWK

Of these, I would take St. John off your list. The Westin there is on a bay with a very small beach. And the location means you need a cab or car almost everywhere you go.

Cancun or Cayman are both gorgeous properties on beautiful beaches, with plenty of options for outside excursions.

Westin Cancun has an amazing large pool in back of the hotel near the beach, and the property attracts lots of families because it's usually well-priced.

The hotel is across the street from an upscale mall with many boutique stores, and restaurants including- as of two years ago- The Rainforest Cafe.

There are also excellent restaurants a short cab ride away, or you can take the bus into downtown Cancun very cheaply.

Excursions to The Rivera Maya, etc. can be arranged through the front desk.

Westin Cayman has a great location that puts you within walking distance to many restaurants and stores. We used to go there almost every year when the kids were younger, and especially enjoyed our day trip to Sting Ray City, and snorkeling on the reef.

HOWEVER... if you're seriously talking about Christmas week, you'd better see what's available first, before getting your heart set on any of these!! Good luck!