Best Restaurants in Anguilla

Sep 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Best Restaurants in Anguilla

Hello,
I was wondering your opinions of the best restaurants in Anguilla...Please state why you liked each one. This would be most helpful!
Kathleen
Sep 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Kathleen, I had to laugh at your posting because I just posted the same question a few hours ago. I take it this is your first trip to Anguilla? It is for me... Where are you staying and when are you going?
Julie
Sep 25th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jill,
We are going in November for Thanksgiving week...splitting our stay between Meads Bay ( Turtle's nest) and Shoal Bay East (Ku) This is our first time & we are so excited...We will be doing a day trip to St. Bart's as well...How about you?
Kathleen
Sep 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Well it's pretty hard to narrow it down because there are so many good ones. But here are the ones we frequent when on the island

Picante-Casual atmosphere. Great owners and the very best mexican food anyone could have. This is a MUST on your trip. The Salsa, Margaritas and the ribs are our favorite. We usually eat there at least twice each trip.

Blanchards-Very upscale and romantic. We love this place of course because of the food but also because of the owners Mel and Bob Blanchard. They have a tremedous book out (A TRIP TO THE BEACH) which is a totally inspirational story on how the restaurant came to be, and how they ended up moving to Anguilla from Vermont. It is a fantastic book. I've had the pleasure of meeting them, and they have even brought me back to the kitchen. The spicy spiny lobster is not to be missed there.

Mangos-This place rocks. We've never had a bad meal here. Quite honestly I can't remember what other dishes I had besides Lobster, but it's all good.

Flavours-We discovered it for the first time last year and had a very good meal there. It's a unique view, the owner is very curtious and the food yummy. We both had he spicy sea bass and loved it. Don't miss the Jonnycakes

Olivers-Again, very romantic. The conch fritters for an appetizer are super good. Again, all my meals have been great there. Last year had one of the best steaks I've ever had.

Other places we've heard great things about and will be trying on our trip this year are: Trattoria Tramano, Bananas by the Sea and Veya (which everyone raves about)
Hope this helps. Anguilla is wonderful. You will LOVE IT!!!
Sep 25th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Breakfast: Overlook & Tasty's

Lunch: Trattoria, Barrel Stay, Zurra's, Palm Grove, Bananas by the Sea

Dinner: Picante, Straw Hat, Tasty's, Hibernia, Veya's, Overlook

Fun: The Pumphouse on Thursday night and Smokey's on Saturdays after noon, great live music & dancing at both; sunset drinks at Malli.

(Just a start -- there are about 80 restaurants -- the responses will make your head spin)
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Koal Keel: Magnificent! Last service is quite early though.
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who posted their favorites!!! Julie, sorry for calling you Jill..I must have been dreaming of Anguilla early.... T
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Not to sound trite but Anguilla restaurants are among the most talked about topices on this forum. If you use the search feature (type in "Anguilla Restaurants") you'll find literally scores of recent threads with hundreds of posts telling you everything you could possibly want to know about dining on Anguilla.

There are 80+ plus restaurants on the island and each has it's supporters. It's hard to find a "bad" restaurant and if you are not living on the island your only recourse is to make repeated visits since it's impossible to dine at all of them during the average 7 to 10 day vacation.

One word of caution, make sure you set aside a sizable dining budget because many of the best restaurants are fairly expensive (but definitely worth it). That's not to say you can't find "reasonable meals" on the island but rather if your goal is to "dine on the cheap" your options are somewhat limited.
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

RoamsAround-
Thanks for your opinion. I wanted recent reviews as things can change. I have heard that the food is incredible & plan on going out to many great restaurants!! Anyone who plans on visiting already knows about the prices.
Thanks!
Sep 25th, 2007, 04:50 PM

In addition to the places already mentioned try Altamer. It's a visually stunning restaurant and the food is superb.

As RoamsAround pointed out it's difficult to decide on where to eat as there are so many fine restaurants. Been to Anguilla 4 times and still haven't tried them all. Oh well, I'll just have to plan another trip.

One comment, you'll find mixed reviews about Blanchards. It can be very good but sometimes food and service is not up to par if the Blanchards are "off-island" which in recent years has been happening with more frequency. Best to check before you go.
Sep 25th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Altamer (the restaurant) has closed, The resort is expanding by a lot and they have turned the restaurant into a sales office (really!).
Sep 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM

Hi Kathleen,
I'm finally getting a chance to write back! We are going Oct 20-30 so it's coming up soon! We're staying at Shoal Bay Villas and thinking about a day trip to St Martin as I've never been there before. I am definitely looking forward to the beautiful beaches. Not to mention the island sounds wonderful in general...
Julie
Sep 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for ALL of your comments & suggestions....It is really terrific to hear so many opinions....I wish I was staying longer to try all 80 restaurants! LOL...
Sep 26th, 2007, 06:20 AM

You have gotten some excellent recommendations from the posters. Our favorites are Blanchards, Koal Keel, Trattoria Tratmonto, Barrel Stay, Zurra (Blanchards new restaurant at St Regis) And Picante. Agree with Overlook for breakfast. You might consider Scilly Cay in island harbor on Sunday. The lobster/crayfish combo is great as are the rum punches. Spend the afternoon and dance in the sand to the Happy Hits. This is not inexpensive--probably $150/couple but fun thing to do once. Another option is Gwens or Elodias on Sunday for lunch and entertainment. Believe Johnno's has Jazz on Sunday afternoon. Go to www.anguillaforum.com and check out the restaurant section.
Sep 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Went to Ripple's for the first time in June-it was EXCELLENT! Picante's and Caprice are very good, as is Blanchard's and Koal keel. Nat's Palm Grove is great too.
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:49 AM

I am so disappointed that Altamer closed! We ate there twice on our last trip to Anguilla as we just loved it. Had a wonderful white gaspacho and the crawfish. Mouth waters just thinking about it. Oh well. The truth is there are many, many fine restaurants to choose from. You will not be left wanting. We also enjoyed Hibernia.....which is a bit of a hike depending on where you are staying.