Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Best restaurant in St. Martin, please help?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-restaurant-in-st-martin-please-help-294670/)

Hayden Mar 5th, 2003 12:58 PM

Best restaurant in St. Martin, please help??

We are going for 2 nights over Easter and staying at the Grand Case Beach Club. What are some good recommendations on food, and the best snorkling beach on St. Martin and best day trip to Anguilla? Thanks you for all the input.

Barbara1 Mar 5th, 2003 03:16 PM

if you are staying in Grand Case, you are right in the culinary capital of the island. Grand Case is lined with one fabulous restaurant after the other<BR>My favorite. Le Tastevin..not cheap but wonderful<BR>there are so many others to choose from too. I don't think there is a bad restaurant in Grand Case. and be sure to try the lo lo's..the little shacks on the pier. they serve the best barbecue and local food on the island<BR>if you can book a snorkeling trip to Creole Rock, go there for snorkeling. It's the big rock siting out in the waterr just off shore from Grand case and the snorkeling is usually good there.<BR>as far as Anguilla goes, there are several diferent day trips you can take.. you hotel activitis desk should have that information. If you are renting a car, you also can drive yourself to the Marigot waterfront, take a ferry to Anguilla( $10.00 each way)<BR>hire a cab, go to Shoal Bay, have lunch, and come back to St. Maarten<BR>you need more than 2 days for all this though :-)<BR>Enjoy!<BR><BR>

baker Mar 5th, 2003 03:24 PM

I agree with Barbara; go to the lolos for barbecued ribs, chicken, salads and johnny cakes. You'll leave stuffed for about $10 each. Another fine restaurant in Grand Case is Le Pressoir. In Marigot there was a new restaurant down on the harbourfront just along from the West Indies Mall; it's called Le Plongeoir (the diver). It was so good we ate there several times and most often were the only tourists. The Asian plate was a great appetizer as was the camembert; for the main course we had bavette (flank steak) with delicious roasted potatoes and vegetables. Service was impecable. Be sure to reserve as we saw many people turned away. We're heading to SXM for a week this Saturday!!! Any other questions; we've been going to SXM for about 20 years.

Maureen Mar 6th, 2003 04:24 AM

We always enjoy dining at Le Pressoir and the Rainbow Club in Grand Case. In Marigot we love the italian food at Don Camilio as well as the large buffet offered at Le Claude Mini Club (tree runs thru the center of the elevated restaurant) one day during the week --includes a bottle of wine for about $42 each.

Statia Mar 6th, 2003 04:27 AM

I second recommendations on food. Lolo's, Grand Case Restaurant Row and Marigot harbour all have fab places to eat.<BR><BR>I also second Shoal Bay as a wonderful day trip to Anguilla. Bring snorkel gear and rent a chair and umbrella on the beach. The sand there is like talcum powder and the water like you're in a bath tub.<BR><BR>And, take a good look at Creole Rock when you are in Grand Case. I went to it on one of those glass bottom boats once and was told by the tour guide that it actually looks like an Indian laying down. If you really look, you can see that it does. Now every time I'm in Grand Case, I see that Indian so plainly....ha.<BR><BR>Have fun....you'll really enjoy the tranquility of the Grand Case area. It's my favorite on SXM.<BR>

RAB Mar 7th, 2003 08:40 AM

A lot of restaurants are reviewed on gobeach.com. As for Anguilla, the ferry gives you most flexibility because it runs every halfhour and you can get a taxi o Anguilla for whatever you want to do, but if you are only staying for 2 nights, will you really have time for a day trip?

1wizard Mar 23rd, 2003 01:34 PM

We love Le Pressoir Stefano, the owner is gracious and the food is terrific.<BR>Our second favorite, also in Grand Case, is L'Alabama. <BR>They both usually require reservations. They are not cheap, but you get every penny's worth of marvelous food.<BR>If you get into Marigot, The Tropicana is highly recommended.<BR>Have fun and Bon Apetit!