Best places to stay for a long weekend in Bequia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are heading to Bequia in February for a 4 day weekend. Could you recommend the best possible choices for us to stay?

Thank you!
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 05:39 AM

I love Bequia, but with travel from most destinations to Bequia taking a day each way, are you sure the trip is worth it ? Wouldn't it be best to wait until you have a week or two ? For just 4 days, Barbados might be a better choice.

But, if it's Bequia you want, here are some options.

As always, the best place to stay is subjective and really depends on your budget and your accommodation and activity preferences.

I am assuming you would not want the hassle of self-catering so my suggestions below are all for hotels/guesthouses with a decent restaurant/bar on the premises or nearby

A quiet romantic get away from it all choice with a decent restaurant would be Spring on Bequia, actually a working plantation. On Sunday, they have a very good "curry lunch" that is an island tradition (and not too spicy, if that sort of thing bothers you). The hotel has great views and a pretty pool and it is walking distance from a couple of uncrowded beaches, snorkelling, hiking trails, a turtle sanctuary and an art pottery. The beaches here are a mix of black and gold sand and there is seagrass but not enough to bother.

In the same price range, and another get away from it all choice, would be Friendship Bay Hotel. Beautiful white/golden sand beach (sometimes with seaweed which is quickly cleaned up), some snorkelling and hiking, good beach bar and restaurant if a bit pricey compared to others.

Again in the same broad price range is the Frangipani Hotel. It is on the water but really a hike or short water taxi away from the beaches. This is the social hub of the island and a great place to meet RTW sailors as well as interesting locals. Restaurant is fine and it is near to other restos and entertainment along the waterfront strip and in the small town of Port Elizabeth.

Another choice to look at is the newly reopened Plantation House - pretty cottages scattered over 12 acres of tropical garden. The beach is small but there is a very pretty beach bar and good food. Plantation House is an easy stroll to other restaurants along the waterfront strip which is a good thing because last year they were not serving lunch. The new managers are trying hard and doing well.

Signficantly less expensive and with a very good (underrated) restaurant, friendly owners, and popular beach bar is Dawn's Creole in Lower Bay. Lower Bay is a beautiful beach (no weed at all and good snorkelling at either end). The hotel restaurant and rooms are up a steep but very short hill and have great views (make sure you request a room with a view). It is next to Coco's restaurant which often features live entertainment Tuesday and Saturday nights, if memory serves. Coco's also has a fine West Indian Sunday buffet very reasonably priced.

Look at www.bequiatourism.com and www.bequia.net for more info on all these choices.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM

We were in Bequia for a week in Feb. and stayed at the Plantation House. We loved it there and we were very glad we stayed there. Friendship Bay was very nice (we went there for lunch) but it is a distance from town and definitely too far to walk. The Frangipani is closer to town and noise. It also did not have air conditioned rooms available or a pool. Although many of the sites I reviewed said that AC is not necessary, if you are near the beach at a lower elevation as we were, it was much appreciated. The view of the bay at the Plantation is beautiful to wake up to every day and it is a very short walk to town. If time permits, take the trip to Tobago Cays. It was the most beautiful place I've ever been. Bequia is definitely worth the extra jaunt to get there. It is a very quaint, beautiful, and friendly island. Have a great time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
owa

Hi, When we were in Bequia , about a year ago, we stayed at the Gingerbread House. Absolutely nothing wrong with it except for the noise and lack of A/C (which we definitely could have used). The Plantation House was not open when we were there. I would love to see it now. We walked round trip to Friendship Bay--once. A long way from the action, but it would be quiet.

We went out with the dive boats at least once a day to snorkel. As I remember it was $10/pp.

We had a good time and I hope you do also. Owa

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM

As a personal note - Plantation House would be my first choice for a long weekend...or even a short one !