Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Best place to stay TCI without kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-place-to-stay-tci-without-kids-851757/)

nonutshere Jul 27th, 2010 09:42 AM

Best place to stay TCI without kids

DH & I are looking to go to TCI (1st visit) for 20th anniversary in June. Looking for recommendations on best places to stay without kids (leaving our 4 behind).

Would like studio or 1 bedroom with balcony / ocean view. No need for kitchen as I don't plan on cooking!

Want relaxation & quiet on beach - be able to walk to restaurants. Some nightlife would be good too.

Will be flying from either BOS or PVD, staying 5 nights, and willing to spend about $3,000 on air/lodging.

TCI not 100% definite, so also open to suggestions for other islands as well. We just don't want to lose a whole day on travel. Thanks!

palmtree2384 Jul 27th, 2010 12:59 PM

We went to TCI last year for 25th, congratulations! We stayed at the Turks and Caicos Club. It might be what you are looking for. It was very quiet, really no kids around to speak of. Very quiet beach. The only thing I am not sure about is you being able to walk to restaurants. We rented a car so we didn't really worry about that. Our room was awesome, loved our huge balcony, just really loved everything about it. The room actually was my favorite part of the trip. So you might want to check it out. Have fun!

janiekins Jul 28th, 2010 06:26 AM

I am going in February with hubby and staying at the West Bay Club. Very quiet. It came highly recommended.

blamona Jul 28th, 2010 07:17 AM

Ocean Club is one of te family friendly resorts, no offense to the poster above.

Depending when in June, it will be quiet everywhere, until school lets out, except for the small kids.

Quiet resorts all the time include Point Grace, Grace Bay Club Hotel (original), Le Vele.

Others that allow children but always see quiet, 3 of my favorites: The Somerset, West Bay Club, Windsong. Gansevoort is more adult, but they allow children and has a chic vibe. Villa Renaissance and Regent Grand are always quiet. Turks and Caicos Club will be nice and quiet too.

I find the most kid friendly resorts in Provo are Regent Palms, The Sands, both Ocean Clubs, and of course, Beaches.

Even the children friendlier resorts, except for Beaches, never feels over run with them, overall T&C is a quiet de-stressing island.

Angler973 Jul 28th, 2010 07:45 AM

We have been to TCI many times, and Coral Gardens is our favorite. You can rent an Oceanfront Grand 1-BR condo right on the beach. The condo is spacious and well appointed, the view is wonderful, the beach is spectacular, not crowded, and right in front is the best snorkeling on the island. At this time of year, this should fit well into your price range. One caution -- there are two different management companies that rent the condos. Be sure to book with the one on the CoralGardens.com website for best service.

Oldmike Jul 28th, 2010 02:10 PM

I would second the Coral Gardens idea. Fabulous location on the beach, huge Oceanfron Grand units are amazing. They look just like on the website...

Caribzack Jul 28th, 2010 02:14 PM

Coral Gardens needs an update..also the huge empty partial resort that sits unfinished next door ( very close by) is an eye sore.

travelerfromtx Jul 28th, 2010 02:16 PM

"Ocean Club is one of te family friendly resorts, no offense to the poster above."

Did I miss something? Who mentioned Ocean Club?

blamona Jul 28th, 2010 04:14 PM

sorry, I read it wrong!

West Bay Club is fantastic, and fairly quiet. Very luxurious for the money

nonutshere Aug 3rd, 2010 06:56 AM

Thanks for the input. Still trying to decide if we are better off booking a nicer hotel / garden view room, or more moderate hotel with ocean view. Any thoughts??? How are the lower priced rooms at the Somerset??

Caribzack Aug 3rd, 2010 07:49 AM

Re: Somerset - the standard garden view room is just that - a room , it is a 2nd bedroom of a larger condo, it is a basic hotel room, mini fridge, no outdoor space--if that is ok with you and you do not need a Living room, kitchen and balcony go for it. The next step up is what we rent-a 1 bedroom garden view English Cottage- huge, loft area, full Viking kitchen, 2 baths, 3 tv's etc...great resort, 2 excellent restaurants. A special now is stay 7 nites-get 2 free!!

palmtree2384 Aug 3rd, 2010 10:18 AM

Since the best thing about TCI is the water and the beach (IMHO). I would definitely stay somewhere with an ocean view. It was so awesome waking up every morning and having that first walk out on the balcony and just take that spectacular view in. Same thing in the afternoon and evenings :-)

palmtree2384 Aug 5th, 2010 10:18 AM

Just curious, did you pick a place yet??

nonutshere Aug 6th, 2010 06:01 AM

After all that research, I think we are now leaning towards Barbados as our 1st stop. I've printed off all the suggestions & put in my travel file, hopefully TCI will be 2012 vacation destination.

Of course if I get a really good deal, TCI is still not out of the question. Too many choices!!

blamona Aug 6th, 2010 12:31 PM

I've been to Barbados, the beaches are far superior in T&C.

another thing to consider, for only 5 nights, Barbados is farther, you'll loose travel days. All the resorts are only 15 minutes from airport in T&C--so you'll have beach time at 3 when you arrive, and beach time until around 1pm when you leave, T&C maximizes what little time you have!

8-)