Search

St. Maarten

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Maarten

I will be visting St. Maarten for a long weekend in March, and I'm interested in staying someplace with local character, and not a large resort. Can anyone provide info on Prasangghan Guesthouse (sp?) in Philippsburg.

Also, I will likely take a daytrip to St. Bart's. Can I rent a scooter when I get to Gustavia harbor, which I think would be more fun than a rental car.

Thanks
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Sunnyboy

Can't help you with Prasanggahan Guesthouse other than to say I've passed by on occasion.

While you can rent scooters on St. Barth's you might want to reconsider tat decision. The roads are narrow, twisty, very hilly (in some areas quite steep) and the locals often drive fast with little regard for other vehicles. You'd be safer in a rental car. Better yet, for a little more than the cost of a rental car you can make a deal with a taxi driver to take you arround the island for the day. He'll show you all the sights, take you wherever you want to go for as long as you want and have you back at the ferry or airport in time for your trip back to St. Maarten - No Worries!

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM

I second Sunnyboy's advice regarding scooter rentals in either St. Maarten/St. Martin or St. Barth's. I own one on the island where I live, but would never think of driving one on either of those islands.

I also can't comment on Passagrahan since I've only passed by, but perhaps someone else can comment. I have only stayed in smaller inns on the French side, and mainly resorts on the Dutch side in recent years.

There are some nice, small places to stay in Grand Case, but it seems you may prefer to be in Phillipsburg.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 01:55 PM

The Passangrahan is a very nice hotel, right on Great Bay beach with super views. Unfortunately, it is also in Philispburg, which is definitely a negative factor, particuarly after dark when the pace virtually shuts down. But if you have a car, its fine.

Le P'tit Hotel in Grand Case is charming, as is the L'esplinade.

The Alamander Resort in Orient Bay is not a resort at all, but a hotel set in a village atmosphere right on the best beach on the island - very nice too.

Enjoy

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Forgot your St Barths question. I havent been for a while but I used to rent the mini mokes - great fun, but much safer than the scooters.